Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,661 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default Feminist Grievance Industry?

Was reading an editorial in the local newspaper today about the sexual harrassment allegations against Cain. The author referred to conservative Republicans calling this a part of the "feminist grievance industry" i.e. women finding a way to be offended by male behavior.

I have never heard of this before. Tho it is meant to be insulting, belittling, and demeaning to women, the phrase itself is starting to grow on me. Put a different spin on it, and it is something to lay claim to like reclaiming dyke or queer.

Found a few references to it and wonder what others thoughts on it might be.

http://stfuconservatives.net/post/4418854893

http://www.forbes.com/sites/susannah...became-a-joke/

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

I have never read nor heard the phrase "Feminist Grievance Industry." I am not surprised that it is being introduced into spoken and written language by no doubt, Right Wing strategist, media, speech writers. Now we will see if it sticks.

Yes, I agree it is a phrase that belittles, dismisses women. I do not believe that all of the women coming forward to say Cain sexually harrassed them are delusional. I do believe that Cain and others do believe their denial of harrassment.

Some are just boldly out right lying and I think others really are clueless as to their behaviour being completely over the line, demeaning and in some cases illegal. It's not an excuse for their behaviour.

When I see this sort of written and spoken word I do notice it and will not participate in using, spreading, normalizing the phrase nor concept. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Female/Lesbian/half the athlete I used to be
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,168 Posts
Dominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST Reputation

Journalists have, in the past, referenced Sarah Palin as a Feminist Grievance.

As for Cain. I think he comes across as so dismissive, because he actually believes he has done nothing wrong. He'd pass a polygraph. He is that pathalogical. Reminds me of one of our Supreme court Justices. (clears throat).
Dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dominique For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

"Feminists that want to and look for a way to be offended"

girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
dykeumentary

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke

Thanked 1,547 Times in 359 Posts
dykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyson View Post
I have never read nor heard the phrase "Feminist Grievance Industry." I am not surprised that it is being introduced into spoken and written language by no doubt, Right Wing strategist, media, speech writers. Now we will see if it sticks. *snip*

When I see this sort of written and spoken word I do notice it and will not participate in using, spreading, normalizing the phrase nor concept. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
I agree.
FemiGrInd is doubleplusungood!
dykeumentary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dykeumentary For This Useful Post: