proximitywithoutintimacy

How Do You Identify?:
Rocker Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
That One Girl ;)
Relationship Status:
Putting My Heart Back Together

1 Highscore

proximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputation
Default Age... an issue?

When is it an issue, and when is it not?

For me, I've experienced it being an issue, in the sense that when a girl is too young, it's best she stick to people around her age bracket because the maturity level is just not where it needs to be.

For example, I recently became a bit entangled with a friend who's 19... and I realised, you know, I'm 24 - it's just not going to work..

Thoughts? Experiences?
proximitywithoutintimacy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to proximitywithoutintimacy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
wolfbittenpoet

How Do You Identify?:
Typewriter Boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,578 Times in 402 Posts
wolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputationwolfbittenpoet Has the BEST Reputation

It's not the age it's the maturity level at least for me. I'm a young guy. Even more when I first came into myself and this site. But mostly I've been told I am overly mature for my age. No one I have ever loved is ever my age or even close. Right now I count myself lucky if there is only a ten year difference.
But then again I'm the younger one.
wolfbittenpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wolfbittenpoet For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
Oiler41

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Happily Single!

Thanked 2,574 Times in 790 Posts
Oiler41 Has the BEST ReputationOiler41 Has the BEST ReputationOiler41 Has the BEST ReputationOiler41 Has the BEST ReputationOiler41 Has the BEST ReputationOiler41 Has the BEST ReputationOiler41 Has the BEST ReputationOiler41 Has the BEST ReputationOiler41 Has the BEST ReputationOiler41 Has the BEST ReputationOiler41 Has the BEST Reputation

To me, from the perspective of being nearly 50 years old, age doesn't seem to matter so much when you are young; however, there are issues that can be a simple as very different taste in music that seem small initially, but can show the age gap. One of you wants to go to a rap concert, the other wants to go see a classic rock band.

But more importantly, it matters as you get older. I was once with someone ten years my junior; she was certainly less mature, had younger life experiences and had yet to discover things I already knew; it is true that some things only come with age. In a situation like this, when I am 65 and ready to retire, she would have still had ten years to work to get to retirement; by then, I would be 75 and would have missed ten years worth of opportunities to do things and go places in my prime retirement years, unless I wanted to go and do things alone. Not exactly the best plan for those golden years.

I married someone my age; best thing I ever did! We have similar life experiences since we grew up in the same time frame. Although we grew up in different circumstances, there are still many similarities that only exist because we grew up during the same time frame. When I was in my 20's, my 30's and even into my early 40's I kept saying it didn't matter, but I knew in the back of my mind the age gap was going to be an issue, but the closer I was getting to 50, the more clear it was becoming.

I vote yes, it is an issue and will be more of an issue in later years. Just my 2 cents.

Glynn
Oiler41 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Oiler41 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 07:42 PM   #4
Bella~Vita

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 1,322 Times in 443 Posts
Bella~Vita Has the BEST ReputationBella~Vita Has the BEST ReputationBella~Vita Has the BEST ReputationBella~Vita Has the BEST ReputationBella~Vita Has the BEST ReputationBella~Vita Has the BEST ReputationBella~Vita Has the BEST ReputationBella~Vita Has the BEST ReputationBella~Vita Has the BEST ReputationBella~Vita Has the BEST ReputationBella~Vita Has the BEST Reputation

[QUOTE=Oiler41;302029]To me, from the perspective of being nearly 50 years old, age doesn't seem to matter so much when you are young; however, there are issues that can be a simple as very different taste in music that seem small initially, but can show the age gap. One of you wants to go to a rap concert, the other wants to go see a classic rock band.

But more importantly, it matters as you get older. I was once with someone ten years my junior; she was certainly less mature, had younger life experiences and had yet to discover things I already knew; it is true that some things only come with age. In a situation like this, when I am 65 and ready to retire, she would have still had ten years to work to get to retirement; by then, I would be 75 and would have missed ten years worth of opportunities to do things and go places in my prime retirement years, unless I wanted to go and do things alone. Not exactly the best plan for those golden years.

I married someone my age; best thing I ever did! We have similar life experiences since we grew up in the same time frame. Although we grew up in different circumstances, there are still many similarities that only exist because we grew up during the same time frame. When I was in my 20's, my 30's and even into my early 40's I kept saying it didn't matter, but I knew in the back of my mind the age gap was going to be an issue, but the closer I was getting to 50, the more clear it was becoming.

I vote yes, it is an issue and will be more of an issue in later years. Just my 2 cents.

Glynn[/QUOTE

Spot on
Old 03-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Lightbulb

I have a rule. Don't date anyone close to the kids age or below.

That's just for *me'*
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
Pixie

How Do You Identify?:
Equal Opportunity Friend
Preferred Pronoun?:
Girl
Relationship Status:
in service

Thanked 4,104 Times in 1,332 Posts
Pixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST Reputation

For me its about character and how a person holds themselves. I have yet to be with anyone my age because they don't see or handle life in the manner I do. I know that I am younger and I have life to live, but I also know that I am beyond my physical years and wish to be with someone that compliments that.

I believe its truly beyond numbers, because I have met some who are higher in age and younger in all other aspects.

Just my .02

-Pixie-

Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pixie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #7
cara

How Do You Identify?:
Queer/lesbian femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Married to my love 08.15.15

Thanked 13,254 Times in 2,724 Posts
cara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
For me its about character and how a person holds themselves. I have yet to be with anyone my age because they don't see or handle life in the manner I do. I know that I am younger and I have life to live, but I also know that I am beyond my physical years and wish to be with someone that compliments that.

I believe its truly beyond numbers, because I have met some who are higher in age and younger in all other aspects.

Just my .02

Exactly, Pixie! The majority of people I have dated have been 7+ years older than me. Sadly, I have often felt like I had my shit together more than they did. Of course, this could say something about the people I have previously chosen to date...

~Wade Davis
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cara For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #8
Lynn

How Do You Identify?:
Unabashed Feminine Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her, She
Relationship Status:
Married!

Thanked 2,416 Times in 504 Posts
Lynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST Reputation

I'm with Oiler on this question. My most important relationships have been with people close to my age. I'm four years younger than my partner. I was dating someone who was ten years older, and there were a lot of missed connections between us. But, that was when I was 22 and he was 32--at entirely different stages of life. We might have done alright together through our 40's and 50's, but, as Oiler said, there would have been other challenges to deal with in retirement. This is entirely personal, however. I don't think it's "wrong" to choose a relationship with someone much older or younger. I just wouldn't seek this out, myself.
that love costs all we are
and will ever be.
Yet it is only love
which sets us free.

Maya Angelou

Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lynn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 09:44 PM   #9
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
Exactly, Pixie! The majority of people I have dated have been 7+ years older than me. Sadly, I have often felt like I had my shit together more than they did. Of course, this could say something about the people I have previously chosen to date...

This is true!!! I know 60 year olds who act like my 10 year old!! I have that rule for me cause my oldest is gonna be' 25 and that would be akward for them and well their comfort is more important for me than a good time. It's even hard with Nico & Cassi being in their age range, they are all literally growing up together!
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 09:46 PM   #10
cara

How Do You Identify?:
Queer/lesbian femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Married to my love 08.15.15

Thanked 13,254 Times in 2,724 Posts
cara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Lady_Snow View Post
This is true!!! I know 60 year olds who act like my 10 year old!! I have that rule for me cause my oldest is gonna be' 25 and that would be akward for them and well their comfort is more important for me than a good time. It's even hard with Nico & Cassi being in their age range, they are all literally growing up together!
This makes sense. One of my first girlfriends was 38 and I was 22. I was closer in age to her 14- and 16-year old children. It was awkward for all of us.

~Wade Davis
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cara For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #11
dixie
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
I usually just poke it with a stick.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Bitch
Relationship Status:
Intertwined deeply

Thanked 21,385 Times in 4,808 Posts
dixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputation

Age means nothing to me. Maturity level is definitely not age specific. The most immature, childish person I ever dated was almost 24 years older than me. On the reverse, I've dated someone in their early 20s who was very level-headed and mature.

I tend to usually date older. Specifically because older is more physically attractive to me than someone my own age or younger. Not quite sure why that is, but if a 40/50 something hottie is standing beside a 20/30 something hottie, the 20/30 something hottie won't even get a glance...lol

In all honesty it does come down to the person that they are and how we click. Doesn't really matter if they are younger or older. It's all about the personality, not the age.
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dixie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #12
Pixie

How Do You Identify?:
Equal Opportunity Friend
Preferred Pronoun?:
Girl
Relationship Status:
in service

Thanked 4,104 Times in 1,332 Posts
Pixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I can understand that for sure!

-Pixie-

Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #13
proximitywithoutintimacy

How Do You Identify?:
Rocker Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
That One Girl ;)
Relationship Status:
Putting My Heart Back Together

1 Highscore

proximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputationproximitywithoutintimacy Has the BEST Reputation

Hey, thanks for all the replies!

Quite honestly, for me, I've found that people who have more life experience are the ones who are mature beyond their age. I'm 24 years old, and I feel a lot older spiritually, if that makes any sense - one of my closest friends is 26, her friends are 29, and I'm becoming slowly immersed into their circle. Don't get me wrong, I love my best friend to death (she's also 24) but I feel as though I'm outgrowing her. I think age, or rather, maturity levels play a part in both friendships and relationships.

proximitywithoutintimacy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to proximitywithoutintimacy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2011, 05:21 PM   #14
adorable

How Do You Identify?:
Sarcastically
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 2,645 Times in 590 Posts
adorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputation

Age matters for me. I don't date anyone my age. They must be significantly older or younger.

It doesn't work for me any other way.
adorable is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adorable For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #15
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Age should be just a number,but as I get older it becomes more of an issue,maturity or lack there of dosent come with age..beleve me its so true.I have dated ppl close to my age thrue a bit older,I wonder if any of them very reached any reasonable maturity at all.Thats not to say ppl my age arent mature cause many are.Also I get the second child hood haveing a great old time now that folks reach an age thats kids are grown,now retired ect.I shure dont act my age but also I really dont have a 454 engine anymore,more like a 2cylendar squrril cage motor energy leval.What I have found has been pouty,spoiled,grumpy folks..Dateing starts out fine then they morph into something I would rather not be around and im not for long.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #16
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

For me personally, it is. I'm not comfortable with involvement with anyone younger than my kid (he is 42). On the older than me side of things, I can't see me being involved with anyone more than 5-7 years older. But, this depends a lot on how active they are. I'll be 60 next week, am in good shape but do have some limitations and I wouldn't do well with a couch potato. I know 70 year olds that can put 30 year olds to shame.

I don't have "moral" issues with large age differences per se. I know couples with many years between them that seem to do fine. I just don't want to be with someone a lot younger or older than myself.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #17
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

I have issues with age every day.....

Seriously, I never dated out of my generation, too much stuff that is lost in translation. I know 60 year olds who are immature, it has nothing to do with maturity, tho sometimes it does.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #18
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

ahhh-the memories.
I wish I were 24 again.
You will be fine, Girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximitywithoutintimacy View Post

For example, I recently became a bit entangled with a friend who's 19... and I realised, you know, I'm 24 - it's just not going to work..

Thoughts? Experiences?
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #19
Guy

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,574 Times in 889 Posts
Guy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I have a rule. Don't date anyone close to the kids age or below.

That's just for *me'*
I agree. I don't have kids, so no rules.

If we click we click at whatever age, just go with it. It's all about the person, not their age.
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2011, 09:55 PM   #20
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,246 Times in 1,416 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

I too think that it's not so much the age gap as the gap in maturity and experience between partners. The older might take a "parental" role or resent the younger partner who is not at their stage of life yet. I have known couples with 10-20 years age gaps, and it works because they are very compatitble in maturity.

There are challenges in even good relationships, such as the retirement issue.

I suppose if both partners are just looking for something non-serious, a large gap wouldn't matter. It becomes more of an issue when you are talking a committment.