The Butch Zone For all things "Butch"

Old 11-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
bigbutchmistie

How Do You Identify?:
Since You Need A Label. Butch
Relationship Status:
Still Dreaming Of My Happily Ever After

Thanked 5,364 Times in 1,941 Posts
bigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputation
Default An Age Old Question... Can Butches, FTM And Femme's Just Be Best Friends?

I thought I would start a thread about this question. And see what other's views are on this very subject. I did look and didnt see another thread about this. So here it goes

Can Butches, FTM's, and Femmes just be friends? Nothing sexual or romantic just best friends?

It seems that Ive seen alot of individuals who have problems with their partners being friends with the opposite gender. And it makes me shake my head in disappointment

For me, I identify as butch and have both butch and femme friends. My two besties are femmes. And both of them have partners. I of course am single, and as I date around I find that alot of femmes are very insecure at the fact that my besties are femmes. I believe that one can be best friends with the opposite gender without romantic or sexual intentions.

For me, it didnt matter that both of my besties are femmes. I didnt extend a friendship to an identity I extended it to a person. We became close because of the very definition of a true friend. Someone that is there for you no matter what and has your back without question. We all stand by each other's side through thick and thin. We laugh, cry and share life together.

I would be interested to see everyone's opinion I would like this to be a friendly discussion.
)
bigbutchmistie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to bigbutchmistie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
grenade

How Do You Identify?:
Full Flavor Femme

Thanked 8,062 Times in 2,121 Posts
grenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputation

of course.
grenade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to grenade For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,246 Times in 1,416 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

I don't have "best" friends nor do I feel "opposite" of anyone's gender, but sure, I have butch friends . Just because I'm femme and someone else is butch doesn't automatically mean that there will be any chemistry or interest in dating. Most of the time, I've never considered it, in fact.

At any rate, jealousy and insecurity doesn't bode well for a relationship.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
Nadeest

How Do You Identify?:
as myself
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,118 Times in 501 Posts
Nadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST Reputation

One of my best friends is a butch that I met while we were taking a couple of the same classes. She helped me figure out things about myself, in fact, including the fact that I am primarily attracted to women; yet, we have never even thought about a romance between us.
Nadeest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nadeest For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
Angeltoes

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Nunya

Thanked 5,525 Times in 1,386 Posts
Angeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST Reputation

I'm going to go against the grain. It depends on how I interpret the relationship in real life. Online femme friends would probably bug me if it seemed too intense, because you don't really know what's going on. In real life, it would be fine if the femme seemed like someone I could be friends with as well and the interaction between my butch and the femme didn't appear to cross into flirting, because I have to admit.... I'm not really tolerant of that sort of thing. Mine is probably not the most enlightened point of view, but that's how I feel.
Angeltoes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Angeltoes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

I don't understand what you mean about opposite gender. I will guess maybe you mean friends that do not ID as you do perhaps?

Anyway, personally, i have a few very close butch friends. We talk on the phone, on messenger, text, ect.

Bully is fine with it. Why wouldn't she be. She respects me and i respect her.

Bully has femme friends as well. I think it's great!!!!

Life is too complicated to complicate what should just be simple. IMO why in the world should it matter how anyone IDs if you want them as a friend.

A friend is a friend.

That's how i see it anyway.
Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Thanked 12,310 Times in 2,057 Posts
Ginger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbutchmistie View Post

Can Butches, FTM's, and Femmes just be friends? Nothing sexual or romantic just best friends?

For me, I identify as butch and have both butch and femme friends. My two besties are femmes.
)

Hi, BigButchMistie.

I excerpted from your original post.

I think you answered your own question.

Me personally, I wouldn't date someone who had a problem with my straight male, butch, femme or whatever friends. Too much drama right off the bat, no thanks.

Scout
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Ginger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
laruss

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She or Goddess
Relationship Status:
Settled in

Thanked 5,328 Times in 1,045 Posts
laruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputation

Good question bigbutchmistie, I was just having this conversation with a Butch friend at home. Her best friend is an ex of hers and she has had problems with potential gf's being very insecure about this. She won't date someone who has a problem with her best friend.

I totally agree, I am friends with many Butches and even exes. It is the other person's insecurities that are the issue. Unless of course you are a cheating bastard in which case they have every reason to be concerned and they would be stupid to stick around. lol

My integrity should be enough, you either trust me or you don't. I am in a place in my life where I only want to surround myself with people who I can believe in and who believe in me. I don't have time for games and bullshit anymore.

So, short answer... absolutely they can be friends.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to laruss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
Ebon

How Do You Identify?:
With my souls eyes.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
lol

Thanked 11,145 Times in 2,755 Posts
Ebon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST Reputation

I think it depends on the people but yes it is possible. I live it everyday.

I'm a Soul Rebel

http://wannabereverend.wordpress.com/

Spirituality is not a belief system or ideology, it is the surrender of one's ego to the infinite wisdom and knowledge that is the universe.
Ebon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Ebon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #10
LadyRieinAL

How Do You Identify?:
Evolving Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, girl, her
Relationship Status:
found my vibrational match

Thanked 1,214 Times in 281 Posts
LadyRieinAL Has the BEST ReputationLadyRieinAL Has the BEST ReputationLadyRieinAL Has the BEST ReputationLadyRieinAL Has the BEST ReputationLadyRieinAL Has the BEST ReputationLadyRieinAL Has the BEST ReputationLadyRieinAL Has the BEST ReputationLadyRieinAL Has the BEST ReputationLadyRieinAL Has the BEST ReputationLadyRieinAL Has the BEST ReputationLadyRieinAL Has the BEST Reputation

I'm blessed to have good friends from all walks of life - I have lifetime butch & femme friends - they've been with me through the handful of relationships I've been in - they love me, they have my back, they've been there through the joys and the sadness - anyone who comes into my life as my partner, must understand the level of love my friends have for me and I for them- and they will also come to the understanding that what my friends want most in life for me is for me to be happy -
so what was the question?
Can femmes be friends with butches? This femme can -
LadyRieinAL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to LadyRieinAL For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #11
Electrocell

How Do You Identify?:
Stonebutch
Preferred Pronoun?:
he/hy

Thanked 2,769 Times in 983 Posts
Electrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST Reputation

I have femme friends that I have no desire to be with other than a friend. I have however had gfs that thought differently. Didn't want me around anyone remotely feminine whether they were female or male.Had one that got jealous when I flirted with the drag queens or they with me. Figure that was safe Neither of us had what the other desired lol.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #12
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

I don't find it to be a problem at all. I have also never been one to date a friend. Once I see you as a friend/once a person becomes a platonic friend, I can never see them any other way.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2012, 10:54 PM   #13
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,407 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

Heck, not only do I have femme friends and butch friends, some of my exes are still my friends. I think when someone is in a relationship and very secure with it and themselves, why would they worry about any of the friendships you have with their partners. I think the biggest issue, is trust. Those that don't trust or have some of their own issues, are the ones with problems. For me, if a potential partner doesn't understand the difference between me and them or me and all my femme friends (and I have many) then maybe I'm not the right partner for them.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2012, 11:07 PM   #14
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Thanked 9,727 Times in 1,613 Posts
imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

Oh completely. I have had some incredibly close and most trusted best mates that are butches over the years.
That said, I also occasionally screw my friends. But it doesn't matter if they are butch or femme or a burning shrub if it's just a friend-frolic.
As one of my older female friends said as I was growing up "if ya can't fuck yer friends... who *can* you fuck??"
I tend to agree. But I grew up in a clique of people who all did this so it's pretty normal to me, the odd frolic with a mate. *shrug*

I also have had friends, real honest friends that we both know a relationship would never, ever work but when both single, the chemistry is good so we shag around a bit. But that's a *very* particular dynamic and rare.

And I have friends, butch, femme, just me, straight, heteroflexible etc... that I'd never screw. It would be too weird.

but I love them to bits too.
imperfect_cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2012, 11:10 PM   #15
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

I was never involved in the community much, so I've had only three femme friends in my life. #1 was partnered with my best butch bud, and told me that she did'nt trust herself being alone with me. #2 was partnered with another butch bud, and flat out tried to get it on with me. #3 Did try to get with me, but is cool as long as I am, and after six years, we are still just friends.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2012, 01:18 AM   #16
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,437 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfyOne View Post
Heck, not only do I have femme friends and butch friends, some of my exes are still my friends. I think when someone is in a relationship and very secure with it and themselves, why would they worry about any of the friendships you have with their partners. I think the biggest issue, is trust. Those that don't trust or have some of their own issues, are the ones with problems. For me, if a potential partner doesn't understand the difference between me and them or me and all my femme friends (and I have many) then maybe I'm not the right partner for them.
this all the way.

my partner and i have friends of many different genders/expressions/orientations. i trust my partner not to cheat, he trusts me not to cheat.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #17
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Absolutely....with the caveat that both the partner and the friends need to respect the relationship.

I'm comfortable with a partner of mine having femme friends, butch friends, trans friends, straight friends, friends who are exes, whatever. If there's flirting and what, to me, seems to be boundary-crossing...then that's another issue.

I'm a one-person, person....and my partner needs to be as well or our relationship simply won't work.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #18
Dude

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Perusing

Thanked 10,606 Times in 1,477 Posts
Dude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Partnered femmes have always been my biggest support system.
None have tried to get with me.

They have solid relationships and know I have good boundaries
or they likely would not have be-friended me to begin with.

I'll say it again
None have tried to get with me.

Thank you Partnered femmes for your friendships
Thank you to their partners for not seeing me as a bad friend choice.

Yes , it is possible.
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Dude For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #19
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I don't consider butches the opposite gender.

I am poly by nature if not always in practice. I assume that people have a sexual interest in one another and that that is fine. But I also assume that people will respect themselves and one another when making these connections happen, if they do.

But to directly answer the question, yes, I can be friends with butches -- or femmes. I can even be friends with people I find sexually attractive. If they are unavailable, or I am, or if it would be a bad idea for other reasons, then that interest recedes. Occasionally something will happen to remind me that damn, she is fine. But it's not a constant or even frequent distraction. (Maybe I am old.)
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #20
LaneyDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Girly girl femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She; Ma'am; Miss ;)
Relationship Status:
Pitbull protected.

Thanked 7,689 Times in 1,610 Posts
LaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST Reputation

I have never had a problem with friends of any gender and/or identify. It is pretty obvious to people that I am in a relationship and happily so. If they want to challenge that then I am happy to show them the door.

I once had a very good butch friend. She called me her "translator" since she always did not understand the meaning behind her girlfriends' words. She only dates femmes and I am fluent in femme speak.

She and I were really good friends and it never crossed beyond friendship.

Personally, I think that if you are clear about your position in the beginning, you could save yourself trouble. Anyone who knows me knows to not tangle with my relationships. The closer someone is to me, the more protective I am of them.