Old 03-18-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Thanked 6,801 Times in 1,553 Posts
justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back in here to squelch some of the Myths surrounding nail enhancements. I love what I do and I do what I love so for me finding what works for my clients matters. Whether it is working with their natural nail or adding an enhancement, be it gel or acrylic. I am providing a link to one of the Nail industry's magazines. Please feel free to ask me questions, if I don't know the answer I will find the information for you. Also, take a look at the other articles found on this website. Have a fantastic day!

http://www.nailsmag.com/page/91131/handouts#clients

Feel free to look at all of the other article meant for Nail Technicians
justkim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
DamselFly

How Do You Identify?:
QueerStoneFemme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am or Damsel
Relationship Status:
single

DamselFly Has the BEST ReputationDamselFly Has the BEST ReputationDamselFly Has the BEST ReputationDamselFly Has the BEST ReputationDamselFly Has the BEST ReputationDamselFly Has the BEST ReputationDamselFly Has the BEST ReputationDamselFly Has the BEST ReputationDamselFly Has the BEST ReputationDamselFly Has the BEST ReputationDamselFly Has the BEST Reputation
Default from high to low

i used to be a high femme, high maintenance, the whole thing. as i've gotten older, Taoist/Buddhist, i've simplified my life a great deal. the last FtM i was involved with, however, adored my hands and liked my nails long, saying they brought out the elegance of my hands even more. the rest he did not care about, xixiTao. after i came out here to the country, though, i've let that go, too. well, the length of the nails. that just got in the way of general work. but i do keep them up. i take vitamins and eat healthily. and i've discovered Sally Hansen's Complete Salon Manicure. this is a wonderful polish-base coat, strengthener, and top coat, all in one polish! i use only Sally Hansen products, hough as i'm getting more environmentally conscious in this area (nails), i'm looking for a comparable one that's greener. my nails are the only remnant of the high femme i used to be. i do enjoy giving or getting a manicure and polishing my nails a pretty colour. i generally go for corals or mauves now. no loud reds for me.
namaste,
DamselFly
to make my own contribution
(Buddhist prayer, a favorite of H.H.)

DamselFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:56 AM   #3
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

As a nail tech I try so very hard to keep people educated. If there is anything I can help any of you with let me know. If I don't know it I will find the information for you.

DamselFly, I know what it is like to be dedicated to a certain product, you may however give Sparitual or Nubar a try. I do like Essie products and Zoya and I must not forget OPI. Here are a couple of links.

http://theveganproject.ca/category/b...n-the-outside/

or try this one

http://www.bynubar.com/store/pages/C...FreeVegan.html

http://www.zoya.com/

Enjoy!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
Quintease

How Do You Identify?:
Rainbow femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,816 Times in 417 Posts
Quintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST Reputation

Oh fabulous! Another thread that I desperately need

I've only been wearing nail polish for a few months and ITS EATING MY NAILS!!! I have major breakage on every single nail and have now been forced to cut them all down to the quick. Why is nail polish, considering I use a decent nail hardener, ruining my nails?
Old 04-08-2011, 06:00 AM   #5
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

I have to ask what you are using for nail polish? What nail hardener are you using? How long have you had the product? Although I am NOT a doctor your best line of defense is to go and see one. I can make suggestions as to what could possibly be going on but that won't do you any good unless you take action by seeing your physician. Our skin, hair, and nails are one of the first things that show sign of a underlying issue, please by all means get seen. In the mean time stop all use of nail products use something that is hydrating for you nails, I suggest lanolin as the molecular composition allows for easy absorption and it is natural (for the most part) and hydrate your body with water. Please keep us updated as to what transpires.

QUOTE=Quintease;315449]Oh fabulous! Another thread that I desperately need

I've only been wearing nail polish for a few months and ITS EATING MY NAILS!!! I have major breakage on every single nail and have now been forced to cut them all down to the quick. Why is nail polish, considering I use a decent nail hardener, ruining my nails?[/QUOTE]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2011, 08:11 AM   #6
Quintease

How Do You Identify?:
Rainbow femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,816 Times in 417 Posts
Quintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkim View Post
I have to ask what you are using for nail polish? What nail hardener are you using? How long have you had the product? Although I am NOT a doctor your best line of defense is to go and see one. I can make suggestions as to what could possibly be going on but that won't do you any good unless you take action by seeing your physician. Our skin, hair, and nails are one of the first things that show sign of a underlying issue, please by all means get seen. In the mean time stop all use of nail products use something that is hydrating for you nails, I suggest lanolin as the molecular composition allows for easy absorption and it is natural (for the most part) and hydrate your body with water. Please keep us updated as to what transpires.
Really?

Actually now that you mention it my hair is also really thin and brittle at the moment. If it's a nutrition thing I'd be completely astonished as normally my diet is rubbish, but my bf has been force-feeding me healthy food. I'll try the hydration route, thank you!
Old 04-09-2011, 07:01 AM   #7
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintease View Post
Really?

Actually now that you mention it my hair is also really thin and brittle at the moment. If it's a nutrition thing I'd be completely astonished as normally my diet is rubbish, but my bf has been force-feeding me healthy food. I'll try the hydration route, thank you!

Quintease, I think it would be important for you to have some blood work done to have a couple of things checked out. My experience tells me you should see your doctor, sometimes it is something so simple as a deficiency that is easily resolved either with medication. Keep us posted.

I don't think you ever said what kind of polish you were using, care to share? Since everyone has a different idea of what is a good product it would be nice to know what other folks are using for nail care products. For me I use OPI and Zoya, both of them are excellent products. I have recently started using OPI Axxium gel polishes in the salon I work in, they last a long time and remain shiny until they are removed. Ask your local salon about this product. Until later...

Happy Polishing!
Old 12-07-2010, 04:51 AM   #8
JAGG
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
JAGG
Relationship Status:
=)

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,543 Times in 4,141 Posts
JAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST Reputation
Default NAIL ME

Dang the title of this thread is so misleading. What a disappointment !!
Old 12-07-2010, 07:08 AM   #9
diamondrose

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,895 Times in 923 Posts
diamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputation

My nails look strong, but break easily. Alos, my job doesn't help matters. I tryed fake nails once, that last all of 1 hours. I couldn't tolerate them. I try to groom my nails as often as possible and once a month I'll go get a mani.
diamondrose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to diamondrose For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2010, 09:05 PM   #10
DomnNC
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Widow

Thanked 2,582 Times in 837 Posts
DomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGG View Post
Dang the title of this thread is so misleading. What a disappointment !!
Lol, I was just thinking that too!
DomnNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:17 PM   #11
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
GNC, not Trans, REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Thanked 6,635 Times in 2,287 Posts
Greco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST Reputation
Default yes

Agreed.

Greco

"Me gusta andar, pero no sigo el camino pues lo seguro no tiene misterio." Facundo Cabral
Greco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #12
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,770 Times in 25,661 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

It's not misleading, fellas. It's tongue in cheek. And a pretty darn easy way to get butches and FTMs in here.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:07 AM   #13
DomnNC
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Widow

Thanked 2,582 Times in 837 Posts
DomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
It's not misleading, fellas. It's tongue in cheek. And a pretty darn easy way to get butches and FTMs in here.

Chuckles, pretty darn sneaky!
DomnNC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DomnNC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2014, 01:23 AM   #14
fatallyblonde

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her

fatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputationfatallyblonde Has the BEST Reputation

there's already been plenty of great advice here so I don't really need to add to it except to say if you want instant glam talons... or even just durable, pretty nails... consider acrylics or gel nails... I have two inch long talons and I love them... I am all about nail art... the next level of accessorising... you can see my work at getnailedau.tumblr.com ... acrylics and gels are strong and tough and you can custom size and shape them easily... so good!
fatallyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:07 PM   #15
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,872 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

I might be having a bit of shock.

I cut my nails down last night after wearing them super-duper long for the last couple of years. (like, close to an inch long at times)
I wanted to give my nails some time to rest before I start up with the overlays again so, for now, it's going to be all about shape and nourishing and painting them all sorts of fun colors.

*sigh* My nails grow fast so it won't be long before they are talons again but needless to say... HUGE change.
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 03:17 PM   #16
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,958 Times in 13,923 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

i am SO overdue for a Pedi... and i may actually get a mani for the first time in about 10 years .....one day.. maybe...
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 03:29 PM   #17
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,592 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

My nails grow fast, long, and strong but any nail polish i put on makes them brittle (and also gets extremely chipped before i can ever find time to touch it up.)

My solution is this:

The cream is KEY!!! If you get the buffing cream and use it with a chamois buffer, your nails literally look like you're wearing several coats a clear top coat

And it needs zero drying time

Kind of a lot of elbow grease though
Old 07-11-2017, 04:39 PM   #18
Chained Daisy

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 1,819 Times in 532 Posts
Chained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post

I cut my nails down last night after wearing them super-duper long for the last couple of years. (like, close to an inch long at times)
I wanted to give my nails some time to rest before I start up with the overlays again so, for now, it's going to be all about shape and nourishing and painting them all sorts of fun colors.

*sigh* My nails grow fast so it won't be long before they are talons again but needless to say... HUGE change.
I cut mine down the other day too because they were actually starting to hurt, a lot of sensitivity under the nail and as soon as they were cut back they were comfortable again. I`m far more adventurous with colours when my nails are shorter.

I am half agony, half hope, Jane Austen
Chained Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chained Daisy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 06:15 PM   #19
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl_dee View Post
i am SO overdue for a Pedi... and i may actually get a mani for the first time in about 10 years .....one day.. maybe...
If the two of you are up for something new....at least to me....maybe consider trying the dip powder nails.

I also cut my nails really short...and they also grow super fast so it won't be long before I'll be doing this again....but I just got a new type of mani with the dipping powder and it was unusual. So far, it's got PERFECT coverage...no missed cracks or crevices and it's smooth as a baby's bottom. Nice and shiny too. The color I chose is like a greenish ocean color and it has a little sparkle to it, which I love. Supposedly, these will last as long as, if not longer, than typical gel fills. Also, it's much better for the environment and they apply vitamin enriched sealants to the nail so it's better for your nails too. Here are the benefits.

The 'air dry' is, literally, 5 minutes and it's bone dry.

It's only a smidge more than my usual mani too.

The ONLY thing I have to say that isn't all 'hip hop hooray' about it is that sometimes, when I push against the side of my nails, it feels a little like a gel that's loosening its bond. Not bad, per se, as all seems well. Just a little weird. I feel like the kid who is pushing on the back of her loose tooth from time to time but the mani is holding up very well so far and it's been several days since I had it done.

NuGenesis Dip Powder Nails

I'm misunderestimated.

Last edited by Gemme; 07-11-2017 at 06:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 06:16 PM   #20
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chained Daisy View Post
I cut mine down the other day too because they were actually starting to hurt, a lot of sensitivity under the nail and as soon as they were cut back they were comfortable again. I`m far more adventurous with colours when my nails are shorter.
You too, Daisy, if the dipping powder manis are offered where you are.

I'm misunderestimated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:

Tags
manicure