Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 05-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
Passionaria

How Do You Identify?:
Urban Bohemian : http://youtu.be/IM96Ch9Gx4A

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,250 Posts
Passionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST Reputation
Default Herbal Medicine

I love herbs. I practice Eastern herbalism which is quite different from Western herbalism in both diagnosis and application. Eastern herbalism is about finding a plant, animal or mineral that is the perfect polar opposite for a condition in order to restore balance. We almost never prescribe single herbs. It is always a formula blended for an individual to cover not only symptoms but root causes, as well as herbs that work to synergisticly to support chosen effect of the other herbs of a formula. I am beginning by sharing some herb files I produce by a local western herbalist. We use these on a radio show, so they are sound files. I hope you find them interesting.

Also I would love to hear about your families use of herbal medicine, or what some of your favorite herbs are and how you use them, along with the results you have gotten. The most common problem I find with herbal medicine is dosage, witch is related more to a persons constitution and sensitivity as well as size, rather than standardized as in western medicine or pills.

Please respect each others uses and experiences, I have found that herbs have many uses and qualities and much of it is cultural. I am interested in learning from each other and sharing.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
Passionaria

How Do You Identify?:

Passionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST Reputation
Default Passionflower (my name sake here)

Old 05-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
Passionaria

How Do You Identify?:

Default Prickly Pear

Old 05-01-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
Passionaria

How Do You Identify?:

Default Alow Vera

Old 05-01-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
Passionaria

How Do You Identify?:

Default Peach leaf

Old 05-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
Blaze

How Do You Identify?:
With my drivers Lic.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Gentleman.. Depends on the Situation.
Relationship Status:
Last Rodeo, what a ride, many sunrises & sunsets to be had...

Thanked 5,470 Times in 1,450 Posts
Blaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Plagiarized post removed by Admin at request of author

Last edited by Medusa; 12-13-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaze For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
Blaze

How Do You Identify?:
With my drivers Lic.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Blaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Native Plants Used As Medicine in Hawaii
Beatrice H. Krauss

PIA - Polynesian arrowroot (Tacca leontopetaloides)
The Polynesians brought this plant with them to Hawaii. It has roundish white underground tubers which are full of starch. It was the tuber that the Hawaiians used for medicine.
The tubers were grated and the grated material put in water in a calabash -- the starch settled on the bottom. Each day, for several days, the clear water was poured off and fresh water was added -- this was to get rid of a bitterness in the pia starch. When all the bitterness was gone, the last water was poured off, and the starch was spread on a flat stone to dry. When it had dried as a sheet of starch, it was scraped off, and ground up into a powder in a stone mortar with a stone pestle. This dry, raw starch was used to cure diarrhea and dysentery.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #8
Blaze

How Do You Identify?:
With my drivers Lic.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Member Photo Albums

Native Plants Used As Medicine in Hawaii
Beatrice H. Krauss
`AWAPUHI-KUAHIWI - Wild ginger (Zingiber zerumbet)
The Polynesians brought this plant with them when they came to Hawaii. It has large underground stems (which most people call "roots"). These underground stems are knobby, and when cut, have a nice spicy smell like `awapuhi-pake (the ginger we use in cooking). It is this "root" that the Hawaiians used for medicine.
They would take the "roots" of `awapuhi-kuahiwi, wash them, and then grind them in a stone mortar with a stone pestle. Then they would add water to the ground-up material, and finally strain the mixture through the fibers of makaloa, a Hawaiian sedge (it looks a little like a grass). The clear liquid would then be drunk to cure a stomach ache. It is interesting to know that people in other parts of the world make a medicine out of the "roots" of commercial ginger (`awapuhi-pake), and use it for stomach aches -- this is called "Jamaica ginger
Old 05-14-2010, 08:08 AM   #9
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Goji

someone asked me to post on Goji Berries

I don't have time today but will. I started researching it and growing it when I realized it could easily grow in zone 7. In fact a woman sent me a pic from NY that had a huge bush in her yard. The trick is getting it going and caring for it until it establishes itself. More on this later. We will be selling small plants soon shipped by mail.

You can do a search online about goji berries. IMO there are many health benefits and they taste really good, unlike Noni..ewwww and easier to grow in your own backyard then something like Mangosteen which is tropical fruit.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:46 AM   #10
femmedyke

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her

femmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputation

I take nettle for my allergies.

I've been seeking an herbal remedy for PMS, does anyone have any information?

I also believe that my body functions best when implementing both eastern and western medicine.

xo
Old 05-29-2010, 09:51 AM   #11
Blaze

How Do You Identify?:
With my drivers Lic.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Member Photo Albums

Hawaiian Plants That Have Medical Uses

The ancient Hawaiians believed that life and health were one and the same, with the word "ola" reflecting this concept. The body, mind and spirit were equally important to a person's health, with the earth itself providing the healing medicines to promote this unified approach to harmonious living. The abundant plant life in the Hawaiian Islands still provides the resources for a natural approach to healing illnesses.
  1. Kalo (Taro)

<LI id=jsArticleStep1 itxtvisited="1">The kalo plant, also known as taro, is considered by many to be the most important plant in traditional Hawaiian culture. In addition to its use as nourishment, the medicinal applications are numerous, beginning with the leaves being used to treat asthma. When ground and mixed with sugar cane juice, the taro root is believed to aid in indigestion and constipation. In its raw form, the root is often used to stop bleeding when rubbed directly onto a wound, and the raw petiole portion can relieve the pain and swelling of insect bites. `Uala (Sweet Potato)

<LI id=jsArticleStep1 itxtvisited="1">The `uala plant, a variety of sweet potato, has been used in Hawaii for generations to aid in curing illnesses. Most commonly, the raw meat of the `uala is used as both a laxative and to induce vomiting. It is often combined with niu water (coconut based) and ki leaves, then strained and swallowed. To encourage sleep, `uala is mixed with forms of kalo and bark and consumed as a drink. Ancient folklore also calls for hanging the vines of this plant around the neck of a nursing mother to induce the flow of milk. Noni (Indian Mulberry)

<LI id=jsArticleStep1 itxtvisited="1">The noni (Indian mulberry) plant has multiple applications, utilizing all its components. The fruit of the plant, before it matures, can be used to treat diabetes and high blood pressure, or mixed with salt and applied to cuts. The ripened fruit is often used as a poultice for various types of infected wounds or boils. The bark of this plant, as well as the leaves, can be useful in the treatment of muscle and joint pain. Ko (Sugar Cane)

<LI id=jsArticleStep1 itxtvisited="1">The sugar cane plant, known by natives as ko, was once a prolific crop on the Hawaiian islands. Though the sugar cane fields have gradually diminished, the remaining plants are still used among islanders for their medicinal value. The shoots can be peeled and crushed to treat cuts and wounds, often being mixed with salt. Many of the other island plants that are used orally to treat illnesses benefit from using the natural juice of the ko canes to sweeten and soften the often bitter-tasting concoctions. `Awa (Kava)
  2. Perhaps the most controversial of medicinal plants on the islands, the `awa (kava) root is often associated with the drink made from it. It has traditionally been used as an alternative for alcohol,and produces a sense of euphoria or relaxation. It is also used to treat insomnia, muscle and back pain and various lung problems. It has additionally been touted as an herbal aphrodisiac.
Ads by Google
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaze For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #12
Passionaria

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
Hawaiian Plants That Have Medical Uses
[/LIST]Ads by Google
I love this Blaze! Thank you for sharing with us. I have a great interest and appreciation of Hawaiian herbs, even more so the way herbal medicine is used in different cultures.

Pashi
Old 06-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #13
Passionaria

How Do You Identify?:

Default Podcast ::: Tribute to Herbalist Michael Moore

http://www.archive.org/details/Ancie...istMichaelMoor

Ancient Medicine Today : Tribute to Herbalist Michael Moore

On today’s show : We are paying tribute to Master Herbalist Michael Moore, who recently passed into the Spirit world. Michael Moore is known as the "Godfather of American Herbalism." He wrote many books about herbs and trained hundreds of people in their medicinal uses. Michel Moore’s
story is told by friends and students, with some sound clips of Michael teaching as well as some of the music Michael composed. Today’s show is dedicated to the loving memory of an incredible human being, Michael Moore.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:11 PM   #14
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,595 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

I reallllly love the "herbs for life" segments of PaganFM

The woman who does the segments (Amanda) has a really darling personality, she's easy to listen to and she covers a lot of neat information. I really recommend the whole show - it's brilliant.

I am interested in the herbal stuff but for now I just soak up what I can.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2010, 12:02 AM   #15
femmedyke

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her

femmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmedyke View Post

If anyone else is interested; I've just recently started taking Chaste berry to help with mood/hormone stabilization. If I don't see any difference I'm going to begin taking it with black cohosh; something that our health store suggested. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I'd love symptom free PMS. (And so would my lova!)
Old 06-16-2010, 06:57 PM   #16
Passionaria

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmedyke View Post
I take nettle for my allergies.

I also believe that my body functions best when implementing both eastern and western medicine.

xo
Hi Femmedyke,
How are the nettles working for you? Are you finding relief??

I know some Western Herbalists who use chaste berry for menstrual issues, exactly what kind of symptoms are we talking about? Before or during your period, or both?
Old 06-16-2010, 07:16 PM   #17
Passionaria

How Do You Identify?:

[B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
Hawaiian Plants That Have Medical Uses[/B[*]Perhaps the most controversial of medicinal plants on the islands, the `awa (kava) root is often associated with the drink made from it. It has traditionally been used as an alternative for alcohol,and produces a sense of euphoria or relaxation. It is also used to treat insomnia, muscle and back pain and various lung problems. It has additionally been touted as an herbal aphrodisiac.[/LIST]Ads by Google

I have a story about Kava. I was on the Big Island, in the Puna district way out on the Red Road. There you can find a Kava Bar, run by some Traditional Hawaiians. They grow the Kava and make juice from the root, right there. When you walk up, if they don't know you they hand you the house rules.

1. We are not responsible for who you were before you came here.
2. We are not responsible for who you become after being here.
3. If we don't like you, we won't serve you.
4. $5 for a glass ::: $10 for all night

They liked me because I drank it straight up, without complaining, Island style. With the first sip my mouth, throat and lips went completely numb. After about the the 5th glass I had no pain in my body, and the world was as beautiful as the trade winds.. AHHHHHHH No drugged feeling, just calm, centered, and pain free. Note: It is hard on your liver if you do it too often.

Have to say, I loved it! A L O H A
Old 06-16-2010, 08:27 PM   #18
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,595 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

This week, Amanda (from PaganFM) recommends sleeping with violet leaves stuffed in your bra and underwear to pull out toxins and alleviate ovarian cysts.

And she recommended using nettle tea as a hair rinse because she says it will stimulate hair growth.

She recommends nettle/nettle tea for everything.

And she says caffeine is bad.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2010, 08:38 PM   #19
Passionaria

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat View Post
This week, Amanda (from PaganFM) recommends sleeping with violet leaves stuffed in your bra and underwear to pull out toxins and alleviate ovarian cysts.

And she recommended using nettle tea as a hair rinse because she says it will stimulate hair growth.

She recommends nettle/nettle tea for everything.

And she says caffeine is bad.
COOL Info, thanks Nat!
Old 06-16-2010, 09:02 PM   #20
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:
love wise guys of the avian world

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,301 Posts
violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation
Default {{{ dear pashi }}}

exotic pets, such as cavies/guinea pigs, are super drug-sensitive, and cannot be treated with many medications used for people, cats, or dogs. i'm caring for a little guinea pig who was quite a while at the shelter. since i've already posted some of his background in the animal rescue thread, so i won't go into all of it here, but i will share some links, please, on neem oil, and essentials not only for humans, but our animal-family members.

here is how i'm treating the pig, toffee- for parasites- even if he is clean because it cannot harm him:

http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/skinp.htm

[sometimes, these sites do not list exactly how much of a vitamin- like i think here on this one, peter does not write the amount of B vitamin for a guinea pig [like toffee!] who is dealing with impaction issues, and that info can be found in the following link].

http://www.guinealynx.info/nutritional_supplements.html

[be sure for guinea pigs to get the capsule B vitamin and open it up- one B complex will provide four servings, and the capsule type does not contain calcium, which can be a serious problem if a pig gets too much in his diet].

i am not fond of breeding pigs, as there are enough who are awaiting homes in fosters/rescues/shelters, but some good info here on natural / holistic care for dogs also:

http://www.broadstoneguineapigs.co.uk/blog/?cat=5

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15261960
[i love pubmed!]

great thread. thank you!
ox

Last edited by violaine; 06-16-2010 at 09:11 PM.
violaine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post: