Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 10-19-2010, 10:44 PM   #1
katsarecool

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Woman
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,765 Times in 734 Posts
katsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputation
Red face Vitamin D Deficency~a list of symptoms and illnesses

I thought I would share this in hopes that it may help members on BF Planet. I have tested positive for vitamin D deficency three times over the last three years; twice this year and did nothing about it other than take a regular vitamin which did not help. I did not know about all these problems on this link! So here's to your good health!

http://www.bing.com/health/article/n...n+d+deficiency
Old 10-19-2010, 11:34 PM   #2
BluMarbleRose

My levels were low last month and I was put on 50,000 units/per day for 10 weeks. I was having MS-like symptoms. I'm in my 20s and otherwise healthy, it started out of nowhere and has been progressing. I started getting bad back spasm as soon as I started taking it, though, some other symptoms have lessened. I hadn't realized how common it was beforehand or how many problems were associated with vitamin d deficiency.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2010, 11:38 PM   #3
katsarecool

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Woman
Relationship Status:
Single

katsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputation

Glad to hear the Vitamin D helped you! That is awesome! I am hoping it helps me. I have a lot of muscle pain, some immune problems (ANA positive) and some other problems listed on that page. It is clearly an unknown problem and this information should be out there.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:58 AM   #4
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Thanked 12,949 Times in 3,419 Posts
Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks for starting this thread katsarecool.

My weight loss doctor saved my life. D3 is one of his routine tests for new patients. In November 2007 he told me I had a pretty severe D3 deficiency - my level was 18. I've been on 5,000 IU/day ever since. My level is now around 50 where he wants it to be.

For several years I had been in excrutiating pain for which there was no relief. Tylenol, Excedrin, Motrin, Aleve - nothing touched it. I was having trouble walking even very short distances and had to use a cane. It felt like an abcessed tooth but from head to toe or full-body shin splints. It was horrible and seemed to be getting worse each day. It didn't help when some people told me "If you'd just lose some weight this pain would go away..." Well, I lost 26 lbs in 3 weeks and the pain actually got worse. So much for that theory. About 3 weeks after I started the D3 the pain began to subside and in March 2008 I put down the cane and haven't touched it since.
Miss Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Miss Scarlett For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2010, 07:12 AM   #5
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

I am vitamin deficient. I used to have shots. Now, my body will not store vitamin D. I am on prescription vitamin D for the remainder of my life.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

It's a wonder more and more people are deficient in Vit D.

With us slathering on the sunscreen and the notion that we should NEVER go out into the sun.. (thats malarky)

The sun gives us vitamins we need internally to combat other dis-eases and illnesses.. so yah not having it makes us feel like poop.

girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #7
waxnrope
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 5/27/2011
Preferred Pronoun?:
hy ho, hy ho; he, she, it, whatever
Relationship Status:
Going slow ...

Thanked 2,958 Times in 953 Posts
waxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputation

I have vitamin D deficiency. It is not related to sun lack. Rather, it is due to small tumors of the parathyroid glands, which regulate calcium and phosphorus. The is a close relationship between these minerals and vitamin D.

In addition to taking the vitamin, one should, if found deficient, also have calcium, phosphorus, and PTH blood levels drawn. The PTH determines the amount of hormone that is secreted by the parathyroid gland. PTH tumors, which are generally benign, are becoming increasingly diagnosed. Make your medical provider do their work!

For me, in addition to the pain, I was so tired that I thought I was gonna lay down and die. I've never felt so tired in my life.

I will need to have my tumors removed, but will wait until my sister succombs to her cancer. There is a newer procedure, called MIPs (minimally invasive parathyroidectomy), which I will undergo. As the name indicates, there will be less slashing of my neck HEH ... and almost no post operative complications. Again, do the research yourself, make the system, including insurance, work for you.
waxnrope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to waxnrope For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
About two years ago, I felt really bad and there didn't seem to be a reason for it. I had no energy at all. When I went to the Doctor, they did bloodwork and my D levels were really low at about a 9. She put me on prescription strength for a period of time, and now I take Rainbow Light Vitamin D3 1,000 IU Sunny Gummie's every day. They don't have any corn sweeteners and I love them!.

Studies show that cancer will metastasize (sp) much faster in those with low D levels, too.

Take your D!
Good for you.. Vit D is a cancer fighting vitamin.. Its so good for you!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2010, 11:46 AM   #9
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

also have vitamin D deficiency which they think if from sun deficiency. I work during the day and make up and skin screams and lotions all have sunscreen in them.

Was on prescription D for quite a while and now take 1,000 IU a day. Afetr this bottle I am going to get the kind June described! Thank you!

I also feel wayyy better both mentally and physically when my Vitamin D levels are good.

My sister has it too.

My Doc wants me to spend 10 minutes a day in the sun sans suncreen also, but I have been having a hard tme making this happen and need to make more of an effort all year.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #10
katsarecool

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Woman
Relationship Status:
Single

There are way too many people with Vit D def!!!!!
Old 11-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #11
asphaltcowboi

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Relationship Status:
HAPPY

7 Highscores

Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,042 Posts
asphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputation

hmm read that article.. im thinking the reason i dont have vit"D" def. is because every time i some much as coughed or sneezed or got a runny nose my mom "made" me take a spoon of cod liver oil yuck!
asphaltcowboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to asphaltcowboi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #12
Maria

How Do You Identify?:
Regular, with sugar

Thanked 1,335 Times in 501 Posts
Maria Has the BEST ReputationMaria Has the BEST ReputationMaria Has the BEST ReputationMaria Has the BEST ReputationMaria Has the BEST ReputationMaria Has the BEST ReputationMaria Has the BEST ReputationMaria Has the BEST ReputationMaria Has the BEST ReputationMaria Has the BEST ReputationMaria Has the BEST Reputation

Several years ago, my vitamin d serum level came in around 5. I don't remember having a lot of symptoms of deficiency aside from fatigue and slower times (although I'm a pretty slow runner to begin with). At the lab where my tests were done, the optimal range for serum vitamin d levels is 30-80. Now I take 50,000iu weekly in a gelcap and my vitamin d is at 50.

Many factors are involved in our synthesis of vitamin d including latitude, skin pigmentation, the angle of the sun, etc. So even if you spent a lot of time outdoors, you may still have a deficiency and should get tested.

Here's an interesting video with Dr. Michael Holick which explains why we need vitamin d hormone and how we get it. It's 58 minutes long but worthwhile.

Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maria For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2010, 04:04 PM   #13
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

A couple of weeks ago I went to the doc about my back,I told her that I know it was a prob but for the life of me I had to much pain on a contenual basics to just have a back injury.The doc had blood taken for lab work when I mentioned fatigue,restlessness,sleep probs and twitchy body movements..not over bad but at times is way to noticeable or can be painful.Also we talked about my being on a weight loss program but as hard as I worked out and watched what I ate I just wasnt loseing but a fue pounds hear and there.At the moment I am waiting to hear back from them..this is being done at LSU med center,things take forever to hear from about anything.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2010, 04:07 PM   #14
Cowboi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Holding My Red Circle

1 Highscore

Thanked 3,962 Times in 1,230 Posts
Cowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinonahigh View Post
A couple of weeks ago I went to the doc about my back,I told her that I know it was a prob but for the life of me I had to much pain on a contenual basics to just have a back injury.The doc had blood taken for lab work when I mentioned fatigue,restlessness,sleep probs and twitchy body movements..not over bad but at times is way to noticeable or can be painful.Also we talked about my being on a weight loss program but as hard as I worked out and watched what I ate I just wasnt loseing but a fue pounds hear and there.At the moment I am waiting to hear back from them..this is being done at LSU med center,things take forever to hear from about anything.

Have you had anyone check your T3 T4 and TSH levels? I was having some of the same symtoms and my thyroid was very low. Got that all straightened out. made a world of difference in the way I felt, and my sleep.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #15
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
hmm read that article.. im thinking the reason i dont have vit"D" def. is because every time i some much as coughed or sneezed or got a runny nose my mom "made" me take a spoon of cod liver oil yuck!

Ack!!! I remember being forced to take that gruel a few times as a child. No wonder I get the dry heaves now when trying to swallow a Fish Oil capsule.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #16
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboi View Post
Have you had anyone check your T3 T4 and TSH levels? I was having some of the same symtoms and my thyroid was very low. Got that all straightened out. made a world of difference in the way I felt, and my sleep.
Hi Cowboi!

the thyroid gland is very underrated.. it controls SO much of our body's functionality... Glad you feel better!
Old 11-12-2010, 04:26 PM   #17
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboi View Post
Hi Cowboi
The lab work was going to check out all the thyroids and everything else on the map.The appointment was on the 28th of last month and I still havent herd a thing,if I dont hear by the end of next week im going to call and see what I can find out, cause the "if we find a prob..we will let ya know" attitude dosent sit well with me at all.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #18
LipstickLola

How Do You Identify?:
Happy
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 1,597 Times in 433 Posts
LipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluMarbleRose View Post
My levels were low last month and I was put on 50,000 units/per day for 10 weeks. I was having MS-like symptoms. I'm in my 20s and otherwise healthy, it started out of nowhere and has been progressing. I started getting bad back spasm as soon as I started taking it, though, some other symptoms have lessened. I hadn't realized how common it was beforehand or how many problems were associated with vitamin d deficiency.
This happened to me, howevvvverrr, I ain't in ma 20's
Besides having low vitamin D, low iron plays a major factor in leg pain and some other various pain (joint/bone) issues. And? B12, low level and you've got some serious stuff happenin too....it's all related. Have trouble remembering that sometimes.

Thanks for all the information, this is great!
LipstickLola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:24 AM   #19
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

FYI, as I was driving into work this morning and listening to National Public Radio (NPR), I caught the tail end of a story about vitamin D deficiency.

I was surprised to hear that vitamin D deficiency can cause "deadly strokes" in caucasian people. For African Americans some of the impacts of D deficiency does not appear to be as aggressive. Symptoms such as strokes and bone loss.

It is very early in the morning and I have not had the time to go in and read more about this. If you are vitamin D deficient you might want to do the research on this and/or talk with you physician.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2010, 02:12 PM   #20
AlchemyGrrl

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, princess, babygrrl ;)
Relationship Status:
in a budding relationship ;)

AlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST Reputation
Cool

Hi Everybody,

I too have had a vitamin D deficiency. I now take mega doses daily. In my experience, using a tanning bed for 10 minutes a couple times a week also really helps. I can see a measurable difference in my moods and physical pain levels.

That was a good article posted at the beginning of the thread. Thanks for sharing.

AlchemyGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlchemyGrrl For This Useful Post: