Old 04-12-2017, 11:17 AM   #114
Bel

How Do You Identify?:
Queer/Bi/Femme-ish
Preferred Pronoun?:
she & they
Relationship Status:
Cursed

Bel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST Reputation
Default Bisexuality....it evolves just like us!

Since the 80s and popularized in the 90s, bisexuality has been defined by various bisexual communities as "attraction to more than one gender." This is the definition that has endured. Robyn Ochs, a bisexual activist, has also expanded on that to include "not necessarily at the same time, not necessarily in the same way, and not necessarily to the same degree.” Which is wonderful!

Like all the other letters in LGBT/QUILTBAG, the B is a community term. There are many ways to be bisexual (bi/pan/omni/polysexual/ace, etc) but the foundation of our orientation moves bilaterally along the sexuality spectrum without settling on a specific point of that spectrum. Just like the L in LGBT does not signify what type of lesbian one is (femme? butch?), the B does not specify what type of bisexual one is.

It's a wonderfully open category.

If anyone wants to discuss more about this, I'm game.

I've been bi my whole life, and experienced "attraction to more than one gender" for decades without ever having been with a AMAB person (which eventually happened.) Because it's about attraction to more than one gender, it doesn't mean that bisexual people attach gender to biology—bisexual spaces that I've been to over the years have consistently practiced this distinction. And those that don't quickly learn....

It's about attraction and potential, not necessarily sex.

And hello to all, this is my first post after visiting on-and-mostly off since 2012!
Bel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bel For This Useful Post: