View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 10:33 AM   #20
Heart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
rainbows!

Thanked 2,531 Times in 412 Posts
Heart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderD_503 View Post
I consider sexual orientation as a whole to be biological in origin. While the biological nature of sexuality may be a piece of the puzzle as far as what spawned this research to eliminate homosexual and bisexual tendencies, I can't see any scientific basis for such an elimination to occur.

Instead of saying that people shouldn't so insistantly claim homosexuality and bisexuality as biological, - which almost seems like a form of self-oppression for the sake of self-preservation - we should be questioning what scientific basis there is for such a "cleansing," if any? Personally I can't see one, and the desire of certain scientists to limit humanity to one sexuality solely for the purpose of procreation and "normality" seems like it is far more influenced by the remnants of monotheistic religious ideology than science itself.

Edit, speaking of dystopian fiction, has anyone else just got a Handmaid's Tale flashback?
Well, I'm in favor of self-preservation.

On another note -- what if there isn't a biological basis for same-sex orientation? What if it is a "choice?" What's evident is that neither option is going to "solve" homophobia or legitimize queer folks.

The liklihood is that orientation is some combination of biology and choice -- like most of human sexuality.

Heart
Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heart For This Useful Post: