View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #54
ravfem

How Do You Identify?:
i'm a girl
Relationship Status:
negative

Thanked 3,126 Times in 1,269 Posts
ravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Lady_Snow View Post
s
Do you know why we eat after funerals?
it's funny, i was just talking about the rituals surrounding death & funerals recently.... when i was young, the body was brought to the house (and in the case of my uncle, a soldier who died in Vietnam, a soldier came with the body and stayed there at the house, beside the casket the entire time).

Everyone, whether they knew the family or not, brought food. So much that a lot of it was thrown out eventually.

i think that some of it is that, at least in the culture i grew up in, you offer food at any & all occasions, happy or sad, as a way to socialize, show respect, love & either sympathy or congratulations. i remember more than one occasion when a family member would say something like, "i have to fix something to take with me before i can go over there", and also, "did you see that so&so didn't even bring a store bought cake?!" It just wasn't done, especially store-bought stuff!

my granny fed us til we couldn't eat another thing & then kept trying to push food on us... it was her only way of showing love.

Last edited by ravfem; 02-09-2011 at 11:29 AM. Reason: oops, just bothered to read back in the thread....seeing that Blade also asked.... :seeingstars:
ravfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ravfem For This Useful Post: