Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl

Thanked 6,848 Times in 1,493 Posts
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryobi View Post
How do you view Heaven and Hell? How does it apply to your daily life?
I don't believe in either heaven or hell nor do I believe in any form of an afterlife. In fact, I think of heaven, hell and an afterlife as quite beside the point and a distraction to boot. I'll try to explain.

Both my parents are dead now. My father died 11 years ago, my mother died almost three years ago. While it could certainly be comforting if I believed that they still existed in some sweet by-and-by that would also allow me the luxury to believe that one day we'll see one another (provided, if you go in for Christian theology, I pick the right religion) again. It is a far more difficult challenge to accept that my parents are gone and that anything left unsaid is forever left unsaid. Holding onto the idea of a heaven where one day I'll be reunited with my parents, my grandmother and the childhood dog keeps me from doing the hard work of letting go.

Belief in a hell is similar in its effects but as opposed to providing the illusion that one day I'll be reunited with those I love, it provides conceit that one day all those who have gotten over in this life will 'get what's coming to them' in the afterlife. While there are times I would very much like to think that there's a place where Pat Robertson will know, in a full and complete measure, the true meaning of agony such a belief relieves me of the responsibility to do anything about injustice now. If I strive for justice and I fail, instead of picking myself up and trying again I can always just write it off with the idea that the cosmic books will get balanced in hell.

Lastly, I think that the idea of an afterlife encourages us to not fully live and appreciate our lives now. There is something very focusing about being in my early forties and realizing that at this point, I'm probably closer to the end of my life than the beginning of it. It means that whatever I'm going to get right I had better do so sooner rather than later because there are no second acts. Life is one act, one take, done in front of a live studio audience with no commercial breaks. Belief in an afterlife gives you multiple takes, multiple acts and so where's the pressure to get it right now?

One last thing about heaven and hell. While it may make folks uncomfortable to have this pointed out, largely heaven and hell are seen as reward or punishment. Do the right things (believe the right religion) and you go to heaven. Do the wrong things (believe the wrong religion) and you go to hell. To me, moral or ethical behavior, in order to truly be moral must be motivated solely for its own sake. If I am moral only because I want rewards in the sweet by-and-by I may not do a great deal of harm but I am not doing so for the right reasons.

Cheers
Aj

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post: