View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Lady_Snow View Post
Grooming to some people is expensive Ms Kitten, and it is sexist, it may not be so to you, unfortunately it is. There are people from all gender spectrums that can't afford product nor do they have access to make themselves *presentable* according to standard that society deems acceptable. It's also a fact that Coco Chanel comes from a life of privelge and perhaps she isn't self aware of that privelege.

As for different perspectives... My mother isn't American and my Father is a retired military man, so I get the idea of looking neat. I am a fan of neat, but I am also aware that not everyone has the same priviledges when it comes to *grooming*, dressing, make up, beauty products as I do. I also keep in mind that my skin color, hair texture, body shape aren't standard Coco Chanel likings and that other POC like myself don't have access to all these things like most of us here do.

That was really my point about Coco Chanel's delusional, white, priveledge thinking. That's why I let you know ahead of time that I was piggy backing off her quote.

Thanks for the dialogue
While undeniably white, it's hard for me to think that Chanel came from a life of "privilege." She was born to an unwed mother in 1883, and upon her mother's death was placed in an orphanage for the rest of her childhood by her stepfather. Though there is no denying that she attained success later in life, I don't think her entire life was as easy as her later years. As to her designs she was a proponent of a more "natural" and comfortable look for women. She has been credited for changing the idea that a woman had to be corsetted to be "beautiful."
*just a little trivia

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post: