Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Thanked 3,656 Times in 602 Posts
Ciaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strappie View Post

160 Miles? Jesus I would do ANYTHING to be only a 160 miles away from her!!
In my experience, the concept of distance and travelling times are amongst the things that differentiate folk from both sides of the pond. Here, in the British Isles, a car journey of 160 miles would be viewed as a significant length.

Added to that, we don't have comparable "freeways" and, generally, have more traffic so travelling time for 160 miles, depending on destination, could be significant. Certainly, the last time I was on a car journey of more than 160 miles in the UK was more than 20 years ago.

Sorry for that nerd-ish diversion.

On the actual issue of LDR, I've been there and done it. In my opinion, it can work but, for me anyway, it's dependent upon two factors. Firstly, irrespective of the distance, there needs to be fairly real contact i.e. skype, phone, email, webcams are all well and good but, for me, no relationship can work without some form of regular face-to-face contact and spending real time together.

Secondly, at some stage, both parties need to consider the longer-term i.e. can it work out for the long-term and, if so, what compromises are going to be made and by whom? In other words, if both parties are tied to their present arrangements and unwilling or practically unable to move, then they need to decide whether, despite their shared affection / love / whatever, it's in their interests to continue or whether that will just lead to a limbo situation that's to no one's ultimate benefit .....
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Ciaran For This Useful Post: