Old 04-05-2010, 10:44 PM   #44
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,763 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew, Jr. View Post

Your employer can write you up, but you do not have to sign anything as an employee. It is a he said/she said kind of thing. It really boils down to the law. If they want you out, they will find a way. Now that Obama is in the WH, we will all see if this law is finally ended for good.
Andrew, each state handles these things differently. I've been involved in firing someone that really, really had to go (it was poor workmanship, not abilities, and us losing revenue because of her that was the deciding factor) and it took us months before we could get the proper paperwork filled out and everything documented in accordance with the law and, yes, she had to sign every write up along the way. The laws do vary widely across the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post

Probably some kind of loophole having to do with when the original structure was built. Also, some goofy way of getting around the HC codes with what is existing. And you are so right with the bottom line! Most likely, people that need these accommodations just go to other hotels that suit their needs better and never make any reports/complaints. Also, my guess is that there are no differently baled employees or maybe ones that do not have mobility issues like some folks do.. the degree factor. No doubt, renovations for existing structure to make them accessible is expensive, but with some direct advertising to disability organizations, a pretty lucrative population can begin using that hotel! Every differently baled person I know always checks this out prior to travel. When I ask my friend with CP to do something with me, I find out about access of the place where an event etc. is being held before asking her. Now, I know a lot of places that she can either go to or not. My disabilities are not the same as hers, so I don't assume she can go to a certain location. Its all about awareness and sensitivity.
The hotel has been here for almost 50 years, so I am sure there is some sort of grandfather clause for certain things. I am still very frustrated with them because they see that it can be an issue for some folks, but they just aren't connecting the dots yet and doing something about it.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post: