How Do You Identify?:
baby dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her/lover
Relationship Status:
single

lesbrarian is on a distinguished road
Default social cues

Does anyone else have trouble.. signalling their orientation and gender identity to other lesbians?

I realize that sounds kind of odd, but it's something I struggle with a lot. There is nothing distinctly queer about the way I present myself, and I feel like this is something that's important in meeting other queers because it's really awkward to just announce HI I'M GAY, ARE YOU?

This probably aligns itself in a lot of ways to femme invisibility. I see lots of other lesbians day to day on the bus and the street and on campus and I wish there was just some way of making some small connection that says "Hey! I recognize you and we have something in common!"
lesbrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to lesbrarian For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,245 Times in 1,415 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

I look like SoccerMom. In fact, for a long time, I was one . And while being gay certainly isn't all I am, it's an obviously big part. I also don't introduce myself with "Hi, I'm gay!" So I get it.

The only time anyone is sure, is at Reunion or Pride (but many straight people go to Pride, so that's not even a good example).

If you are in college, there's probably a GLBQ club on campus and you can find community there. Some find the courage to wear a rainbow something on their clothing, but that's not even a foolproof method. It's hard!

You made a good start by coming here .
Old 09-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,648 Times in 3,986 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

try being a lesbian dating a man....but he is a twister like I am too. People see him as a gay man. Its all confusing to the people around us, except to my family. They get us completely.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
laruss

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She or Goddess
Relationship Status:
Settled in

Thanked 5,328 Times in 1,045 Posts
laruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputationlaruss Has the BEST Reputation

Sometimes it is as simple as how you look at or acknowledge other lesbians. Smiling and acknowledging in recognition. I am not sure how to explain that exactly, it is just something that I do.

I don't "look" gay at all, I guess it's that Femme invisibility. But, I have never had trouble being recognized.

I will often wear a rainbow pendant I have and I have seen quite a few other Femme's who wear different pendants out and about.

But, I think the most important thing is to get to know the community. Go to different events, volunteer for gay organizations, get yourself out there.

I was recently at a classic rock festival and I was standing in line and a woman behind me started chatting with me, neither of us looked gay, she noticed my rainbow necklace and grabbed it while pushing her tits into me and mentioned how she was new to the city and how difficult it was to meet people. I agreed with her and then explained how lucky I was to have found the Woman I want to spend my life with. She laughed and said, "was I really that obvious". We both laughed about it and then I told her about some local events. It was the pendant that caught her attention and was the "clue or cue" for her.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to laruss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #5
lesbrarian

How Do You Identify?:
baby dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her/lover
Relationship Status:
single

Quote:
Originally Posted by guihong View Post
I look like SoccerMom. In fact, for a long time, I was one . And while being gay certainly isn't all I am, it's an obviously big part. I also don't introduce myself with "Hi, I'm gay!" So I get it.

The only time anyone is sure, is at Reunion or Pride (but many straight people go to Pride, so that's not even a good example).

If you are in college, there's probably a GLBQ club on campus and you can find community there. Some find the courage to wear a rainbow something on their clothing, but that's not even a foolproof method. It's hard!

You made a good start by coming here .
I guess that is pretty true - even at the local gay bar, at least half the crowd is straight girls, so it's tough to state anything really loud and clear.

I was involved with the campus queer group for a while, but unfortunately have broken ties because of differences/lack of inclusiveness. Almost all of the lesbians I have that are my age in this community are really aggressive in some questionable politics (men are evil, monogamy is slavery, etc.) that I don't want to be involved in.

I've been trying to seek out any other local groups, but they seem very impromptu - older dykes that have been in the city a long time and know lots of people. Which is great, and it would be awesome to talk to them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lesbrarian For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
lesbrarian

How Do You Identify?:
baby dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her/lover
Relationship Status:
single

Quote:
Originally Posted by laruss View Post

I was recently at a classic rock festival and I was standing in line and a woman behind me started chatting with me, neither of us looked gay, she noticed my rainbow necklace and grabbed it while pushing her tits into me and mentioned how she was new to the city and how difficult it was to meet people. I agreed with her and then explained how lucky I was to have found the Woman I want to spend my life with. She laughed and said, "was I really that obvious". We both laughed about it and then I told her about some local events. It was the pendant that caught her attention and was the "clue or cue" for her.
That's hilarious - I will definitely have to get some more rainbow gear.

I always try to smile when I recognize someone, I just get nervous that I might send the wrong message. I read an article once about a bi femme who was frustrated with finding community with other queers because she was dating a man. She told the story of smiling at a lesbian couple while she was waiting in line at a movie, and receiving dirty looks back because they thought she was patronizing them.

But, as I'm learning, you can't control how other people think of you. It's worth a shot!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lesbrarian For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Talking Thoughts

I tend to be outed as soon as I speak, I'm a queer Femme that's hard to hide and stick out in a sea of feminine presentation. I like to think that's it's my politics, women empowered thinking and my Leather dynamics that make it so. My Pack thinks it's evolution in it's finest form.
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,791 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

It is always a problem when one is femme because we "look" straight.

You have to go to places where there are other lesbians.

Do you have MeetUps? You can find them online or you can start your own!

Where I live, there are tons. All ages and all types of activities.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #9
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,958 Times in 13,923 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Rainbow tattoo on the forehead and a 2x4 helps.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
lesbrarian

How Do You Identify?:
baby dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her/lover
Relationship Status:
single

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Lady_Snow View Post
I tend to be outed as soon as I speak, I'm a queer Femme that's hard to hide and stick out in a sea of feminine presentation. I like to think that's it's my politics, women empowered thinking and my Leather dynamics that make it so. My Pack thinks it's evolution in it's finest form.
Well, Leather politics are the best politics afterall.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lesbrarian For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #11
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Wink Heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrarian View Post
Well, Leather politics are the best politics afterall.

Well, I'm a lil bias with that particular opinion..
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #12
Rope

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy
Relationship Status:
polyamorous

Thanked 1,279 Times in 212 Posts
Rope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST ReputationRope Has the BEST Reputation

I've had femmes walk across a smoking room at the airport and ask for a light to give me a "hint" that we might have something in common besides smoking....It's hard to bold but sometimes, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Rope--

Rope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rope For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #13
SleepyButch

How Do You Identify?:
Dude
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him
Relationship Status:
Taken

Thanked 11,244 Times in 2,753 Posts
SleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_dee View Post

I think if I saw someone pull a 2 x 4 our of their purse in my presence, I would get the hint...hopefully before being wapped in the head... lol

You cannot embrace those things that will not embrace you back.
SleepyButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SleepyButch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2012, 11:35 PM   #14
bcelly1894
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
sb
Relationship Status:
Single

bcelly1894 Has the BEST Reputationbcelly1894 Has the BEST Reputationbcelly1894 Has the BEST Reputationbcelly1894 Has the BEST Reputationbcelly1894 Has the BEST Reputationbcelly1894 Has the BEST Reputationbcelly1894 Has the BEST Reputationbcelly1894 Has the BEST Reputationbcelly1894 Has the BEST Reputationbcelly1894 Has the BEST Reputationbcelly1894 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

That was funny.
But sometimes even after using your 2x4 that the person will come out of their stupor, And still not believe you are gay.
I agree with all of the suggestions given though. I just thought the 2x4 idea was funny.
bcelly1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcelly1894 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #15
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Thanked 14,181 Times in 3,024 Posts
easygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Yup. One time I was wearing a t-shirt that said "I like your beaver" with a cute (picture of a beaver on it - but still) and a rainbow bead necklace, and someone still told me they weren't sure if I was a lesbian.
easygoingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to easygoingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #16
Words

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme submissive
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 4,261 Times in 677 Posts
Words Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST Reputation

You would think that, in this day and age, one wouldn't have to 'look like' a lesbian to be recognized as one by one's own community.

I mean, what exactly does a lesbian look like or are we ourselves guilty of perputating the myth that there's only one way to be lesbian, namely, the way usually portrayed by straight folk (think truck driver sporting a mullet and wearing a rainbow coloured t-shirt)?

I don't know. Perhaps it's the circle I move in or the small town where I live (disproportionate number of queers) but when I look at a woman, then assuming she's not clearly with a guy, I never assume that she's straight...seems only fair given that I hate it when folks assume that I am.

Words
Words is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Words For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #17
-Red-Flag-

How Do You Identify?:
.Butch.

Thanked 3,609 Times in 929 Posts
-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
All this time, I been looking for the wrong signs !

You will always be fond of me. I represent all the sins you never had the courage to commit.--Oscar Wilde

Everything in the world is about sex, except sex. Sex is about power.--Oscar Wilde

I want to fill my mouth with your name.— Pablo Neruda

-Red-Flag- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -Red-Flag- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #18
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Thanked 12,309 Times in 2,057 Posts
Ginger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST Reputation

I guess I don't care if strangers "get" me. I only care if people I know, "get" me. And if they know me, they get me (sorry for the circuitous logic, it's the best I can do...).
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ginger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #19
LipstickLola

How Do You Identify?:
Happy
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 1,597 Times in 433 Posts
LipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST Reputation

Guess I'll go Google some type of pendent to wear! Hopefully, along with my direct eye contact, and "knowing" smile, I'll maybe attract some new friends

Signed..... still a hippy at heart single lesbian
LipstickLola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LipstickLola For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #20
Chelsius

How Do You Identify?:
Queerdo Lady Unit
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Chelsius Has the BEST ReputationChelsius Has the BEST ReputationChelsius Has the BEST ReputationChelsius Has the BEST ReputationChelsius Has the BEST ReputationChelsius Has the BEST ReputationChelsius Has the BEST ReputationChelsius Has the BEST ReputationChelsius Has the BEST ReputationChelsius Has the BEST ReputationChelsius Has the BEST Reputation

I guess I look "very straight" to people, so I definitely do have trouble signalling lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chelsius For This Useful Post: