The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation
Default The Ultimate Backpack: Unpacking your own Male Privilege

One of the side effects (undesired by me, at least) was crown of male privilege and specifically, white male privilege. I never really realized the impact of it until I began passing more regularly and noticed how people changed how they responded to me.

In my day-to-day life, people are more friendly and courteous when I meet them in person and for interactions. People ask me for my opinion and listen to what I say with little interruption. I've even once been put to the front of a line and declined this because other people were in front of me (most were older women who had a fair amount of groceries and looked exhausted -- I figured I had time to wait while they probably wanted to just go). Sometimes it's little things that happen that I realize I never would have seen before (e.g., preferential treatment in a restaurant or complete agreement with a complaint).

Before, no one had noticed me and was oblivious to who I was unless it was a computer and/or network issue. Then I was abrupt and abrasive. It's interesting to see how comments have slightly changed. Instead of just being a "good" instructor I'm the "best instructor they've ever had in IT training in their 30+ years.." My knowledge and teaching manner hasn't really changed (I upgrade my knowledge regularly and always have) but people read me different than previously, which I find interesting and disturbing at times.

I've also had the negative response where it's assumed that I have no clue what women go through and what's it's like to be a woman. That I have no idea what it's like to be more emotional at certain times of the month and really don't need to be put down during that time as well as being forced into a specific role and image of woman. *chuckles* I think that one in particular I do understand. Part of me wants to speak up about that (I do embrace my past as part of me and recognize it's importance at getting me to this point of my life in one piece) but I try to step back and not interject my voice in where it really doesn't belong or welcomed (I sometimes can't help myself but I am trying to step out and just listen rather than want to be always heard).

For those that wonder, male privilege (particularly white male privilege) could be defined as:

1. That your opinion/voice is more valued over a female and/or POC opinion/voice. (note: a good obvious example is politicians and who the media goes to for the sound bite on a policy piece more often than not).

2. You and a female friend are talking to another male and the other male always directs responses to you even if your female friend asks.

3. You get treated different or better than women and/or POC.

4. You never get challenged on who you are or whether your ID is correct (e.g., passports, TSA security checks at airports, paying with credit card)

5. You get a better credit rating, better credit limits, etc. Financial institutions respect any decision you make and don't try to necessarily up sell you or question your choices.

6. You get more pay or an increase in pay; more job opportunities (this would only come into play if you do not disclose your trans identity).

7. You feel you are "owed" something in society. Our society, built by white wealthy men, is built on hierarchy (whether we want to believe this or not).

There's more, I know there is. My brain is feeling a bit fuzzy today so I apologize for not having all of them up. If you want to add more that I have missed, let me know.

Anyways, that said, I'm curious as to what other transmen or male-identified butches (who are read as male and seen as "men") are doing to address their own male-privilege and break down the hierarchy to level things out more. Have you had moments where that little light bulb went off and you realized that it was male privilege that was getting you such-and-such in life? Have you addressed your own misogyny? (misogyny, as definition, is the hatred of all things "female" -- an interesting challenge for transguys, I think) What about addressing patriarchy in your roles? (that is, you see yourself as leader and your female counterpart is subservient to you in some fashion or another).

While the thread is open to all, I'd rather to see transguys and male-identified butches participate. This isn't a thread to bash either for who they are or what they are not. The idea is to have a frank and open discussion about an issue that I believe is an important issue to discuss (the irony is not lost on me here), breakdown and come to terms with so that it can be dismantled at some point from society.

All I ask is that people be respectful in their discussions/ideas/opinions. Remember to discuss the issue and not go after the person. You can always step back and come back (step up, step down).

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post: