![]() |
|
|
|
|
#1 | |
|
Member
How Do You Identify?:
Femme Preferred Pronoun?:
she Relationship Status:
married Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 269
Thanks: 262
Thanked 587 Times in 195 Posts
Rep Power: 2134102 ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
Quote:
My only hope in this big mess is that this lawsuit ends up challenging the Littleton law and it all gets overthrown. In the meantime I feel terrible for Nikki Aruguz who is trying to mourn and fight this at the same time. I imagine all she does is cry. It was hard to watch the news video of her. Melissa |
|
|
|
|
| The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Melissa For This Useful Post: |
|
|
#2 | |
|
Infamous Member
How Do You Identify?:
femme Relationship Status:
attached Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: .
Posts: 6,896
Thanks: 29,046
Thanked 13,092 Times in 3,386 Posts
Rep Power: 21474859 ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
Quote:
Florida has a similar precedent setting fucked up case (Kanteras vs. Kanteras) where an ex wife went for custody (married to a transman for like ten years I think); she outed her husband (she became born again from what I recall); and the judge ruled their marriage was invalid from the start and any marriages thereafter--where one partner is trans--is not to be considered a valid and legal heterosexual marriage. |
|
|
|
|
| The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post: |
|
|
#3 | |
|
Member
How Do You Identify?:
Femme Preferred Pronoun?:
she Relationship Status:
married Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 269
Thanks: 262
Thanked 587 Times in 195 Posts
Rep Power: 2134102 ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
Quote:
Melissa |
|
|
|
|
| The Following User Says Thank You to Melissa For This Useful Post: |
|
|
#4 | ||
|
Member
How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA! Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee Relationship Status:
Good 'n married. ![]() Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Posts: 1,499
Thanks: 2,355
Thanked 2,756 Times in 820 Posts
Rep Power: 16450093 ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
Quote:
Quote:
__________________
"Compassion, in which all ethics must take root, can only attain its full breadth and depth if it embraces all living creatures and does not limit itself to mankind." -Albert Schweitzer |
||
|
|
|
| The Following User Says Thank You to suebee For This Useful Post: |
|
|
#5 | |
|
Infamous Member
How Do You Identify?:
femme Relationship Status:
attached Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: .
Posts: 6,896
Thanks: 29,046
Thanked 13,092 Times in 3,386 Posts
Rep Power: 21474859 ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
Quote:
I hope this case does challenge the current legal precedent--that was set by the Littleton--that states you are you are the sex you were assigned at birth and no transition will alter that fact for legal (in this case, marital) purposes. |
|
|
|
|
| The Following User Says Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post: |
|
|
#6 |
|
Infamous Member
How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy Preferred Pronoun?:
She Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: In A Healing Place
Posts: 5,371
Thanks: 18,160
Thanked 22,634 Times in 4,461 Posts
Rep Power: 21474857 ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
My heart certainly goes out to Nikki. One thing I am surprised that no one has mentioned is, under the law if she is not recognized as a woman then she will receive the same treatment as same sex couples. It certainly is homophobia (even though she may not be homosexual) as much as it is transphobia. I have heard of cases where a lesbian police officer was killed in the line of duty and her partner did not get spousal death benefits. I believe it was in Florida. It is true that if she was legally recognized as a woman and legally married to a man then she would be deemed heterosexual and her marriage would be seen as legitimate. That has to do as much with heterosexuality as it does with cisgender.
|
|
|
|
| The Following User Says Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post: |
|
|
#7 | |||
|
Infamous Member
How Do You Identify?:
femme Relationship Status:
attached Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: .
Posts: 6,896
Thanks: 29,046
Thanked 13,092 Times in 3,386 Posts
Rep Power: 21474859 ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think we have mentioned it and realize that is the issue as well. Of course if there weren't restrictions on same sex marriage, this discussion wouldn't take place b/c, either way, their marriage would be considered valid. I don't think anyone is missing the fact that this has to do with homophobia as well as transphobia. It isn't just that her transition does not legally make her a woman for legal purposes but that, under law, she is still a man and considered to be in a same sex marriage. I get that and found two examples where Stearns and myself both stated their marriage--b/c she was born male--is now treated as a same sex one--hence, VOID. I think most understand the inegalitarian structure that prevents their marriage from being recognized. I don't think anyone is missing that piece to why this is an injustice. About Florida: This State has, at 3 (!) different times, passed legislation to ensure that a marriage is only recognized as a man and woman and NO other union shall be considered for legal purposes (common law, civil union etc). So, of course, the surviving partner would not receive benefits. Stories like that, sadly, are all too common around here and the many other states that have passed such unjust legislation. |
|||
|
|
|
| The Following User Says Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post: |
|
|
#8 |
|
Infamous Member
How Do You Identify?:
femme Relationship Status:
attached Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: .
Posts: 6,896
Thanks: 29,046
Thanked 13,092 Times in 3,386 Posts
Rep Power: 21474859 ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
I was just reading the comments on Queerty about this case and here is one that I thought was interesting:
@peteNsfo: Actually, Texas law has been amended since the Littleton vs. Prange decision: (I'm quoting Cristan Williams the head of Houston's Trans Center) "In 2009, lawmakers (in H.B. No. 3666) changed the Texas family code to permit an applicant for a marriage license to use a sex change court order to nullify the birth certificate gender. Sec. 2.002. APPLICATION FOR LICENSE. Except as provided by Section 2.006, each person applying for a license must: (8) an original or certified copy of a court order relating to the applicant's name change or sex change;" I suspect Nikki's admission that her and her husband got married shortly before she had her SRS is going to sink her claim they were legally married. Read more: http://www.queerty.com/dead-firefigh...#ixzz0ucE1Zqy2 Here is the act that pertains to this case: AN ACT relating to the application for and issuance of a marriage license. BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS: SECTION 1. Section 2.002, Family Code, is amended to read as follows: Sec. 2.002. APPLICATION FOR LICENSE. Except as provided by Section 2.006, each person applying for a license must: ......... (8) an original or certified copy of a court order relating to the applicant's name change or sex change; --------------- Here's another article about the case from TGctr.org (Houston based) Last edited by Soon; 07-24-2010 at 09:58 AM. |
|
|
|
| The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post: |
|
|
#9 | |
|
Timed Out
How Do You Identify?:
. Relationship Status:
. Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: .
Posts: 204
Thanks: 191
Thanked 469 Times in 128 Posts
Rep Power: 0 ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
Quote:
The lawyer, Phyllis Randolph Frye, who was actually the lawyer for Littleton, thinks they might have a chance in this case. I don't know. The whole thing makes me sick at heart. The whole thing. I just think about my family doing this to Dylan. The courts doing this to Dylan. I don't know about a will. I am going to do some more research. Dylan might know but he is on the phone with someone you know, lol.
|
|
|
|
|
![]() |
| Thread Tools | |
| Display Modes | |
|
|