Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 11-03-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,594 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation
Default War

It's one of those words that's so small but it means something so big.

This is a place to talk about war. A place for linking / quoting lectures, speeches, videos, testimonies, news and information. A place for discussion.

I try not to think about war or talk about war or look at war. But war is a reality and I think it deserves to be looked at, witnessed, examined.

I saw this video today and was very upset by it. It's graphic - so keep that in mind if you choose to watch it. It's almost a year since it was posted on YouTube.

This is a former marine telling about his own behavior, the behavior of his comrades and how this behavior was encouraged while he was serving in Iraq.

Yesterday I heard a speech from iTunes U given by Edward Said (author of the book "Orientalism" which had a huge impact) where he talks about the looming (at the time) possibility of war with Iraq and about the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. I thought it was a speech worth listening to because I really am ignorant about what's going on in the world and I think it's important to learn a lot more. In his speech, Said mentions the passive American citizenry. I don't think it's a question only of passivity but of lack of information, context and understanding.

I hope this thread takes off, though war is a hard subject to talk about. I intentionally did not narrow the focus to only Iraq and Afganistan or even just to current wars.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,594 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

Here is a link to the Edward Said lecture.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote