Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

View Poll Results: How do you feel about backscatter xrays?
They are great! Whatever it takes to keep us safe. 14 14.89%
They are horrific! I would rather risk being blown up. 20 21.28%
Eh, necessary evil 45 47.87%
Other (see below) 15 15.96%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #81
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,990 Times in 2,594 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

TSA pat-down leaves traveler covered in urine
'I was absolutely humiliated,' said bladder cancer survivor

A retired special education teacher on his way to a wedding in Orlando, Fla., said he was left humiliated, crying and covered with his own urine after an enhanced pat-down by TSA officers recently at Detroit Metropolitan Airport.

“I was absolutely humiliated, I couldn’t even speak,” said Thomas D. “Tom” Sawyer, 61, of Lansing, Mich.

Sawyer is a bladder cancer survivor who now wears a urostomy bag, which collects his urine from a stoma, or opening in his stomach. “I have to wear special clothes and in order to mount the bag I have to seal a wafer to my stomach and then attach the bag. If the seal is broken, urine can leak all over my body and clothes.”

On Nov. 7, Sawyer said he went through the security scanner at Detroit Metropolitan Airport. “Evidently the scanner picked up on my urostomy bag, because I was chosen for a pat-down procedure.”

Due to his medical condition, Sawyer asked to be screened in private. “One officer looked at another, rolled his eyes and said that they really didn’t have any place to take me,” said Sawyer. “After I said again that I’d like privacy, they took me to an office.”

Sawyer wears pants two sizes too large in order to accommodate the medical equipment he wears. He’d taken off his belt to go through the scanner and once in the office with security personnel, his pants fell down around his ankles. “I had to ask twice if it was OK to pull up my shorts,” said Sawyer, “And every time I tried to tell them about my medical condition, they said they didn’t need to know about that.”

Before starting the enhanced pat-down procedure, a security officer did tell him what they were going to do and how they were going to it, but Sawyer said it wasn’t until they asked him to remove his sweatshirt and saw his urostomy bag that they asked any questions about his medical condition.

“One agent watched as the other used his flat hand to go slowly down my chest. I tried to warn him that he would hit the bag and break the seal on my bag, but he ignored me. Sure enough, the seal was broken and urine started dribbling down my shirt and my leg and into my pants.”

The security officer finished the pat-down, tested the gloves for any trace of explosives and then, Sawyer said, “He told me I could go. They never apologized. They never offered to help. They acted like they hadn’t seen what happened. But I know they saw it because I had a wet mark.”

Humiliated, upset and wet, Sawyer said he had to walk through the airport soaked in urine, board his plane and wait until after takeoff before he could clean up.

“I am totally appalled by the fact that agents that are performing these pat-downs have so little concern for people with medical conditions,” said Sawyer.

Sawyer completed his trip and had no problems with the security procedures at the Orlando International Airport on his journey back home. He said he plans to file a formal complaint with the TSA.

When he does, said TSA spokesperson Dwayne Baird, “We will review the matter and take appropriate action if necessary.” In the meantime, Baird encourages anyone with a medical condition to read the TSA’s website section on assistive devices and mobility aids.

The website says that travelers with disabilities and medical conditions have “the option of requesting a private screening” and that security officers “will not ask nor require you to remove your prosthetic device, cast, or support brace.”

Sawyer said he's written to his senators, state representatives and the president of the United States. He’s also shared details of the incident online with members of the nonprofit Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network, many of whom have offered support and shared their travel experiences.

“I am a good American and I want safety for all passengers as much as the next person," Sawyer said. "But if this country is going to sacrifice treating people like human beings in the name of safety, then we have already lost the war.”

Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network executive director Claire Saxton said that there are hundreds of thousands of people living with ostomies in the United States. “TSA agents need to be trained to listen when someone tells them have a health issue and trained in knowing what an ostomy is. No one living with an ostomy should be afraid of flying because they’re afraid of being humiliated at the checkpoint.”

Eric Lipp, executive director of Open Doors Association, which works with businesses and the disability community, called what happened to Sawyer “unfortunate.”

“But enhanced pat-downs are not a new issue for people with disabilities who travel," Lipp said. "They've always had trouble getting through the security checkpoint."

Still, Lipp said the TSA knows there’s a problem. “This came up during a recent meeting of the agency’s disability advisory board and I expect to see a procedure coming in place shortly that will directly address the pat-down procedures for people with disabilities.”

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2010, 09:12 PM   #82
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

Ugh, that makes me so angry Nat. They totally robbed this man of his dignity.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:27 PM   #83
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

one blogger's experience:

She scanned the formula, then turned to me and said, “Remove your shoes and stand on that black mat for a patdown.”

I said, “OK, what do I do with the baby?”

“You cannot be holding him.” (I am traveling alone.)

So I placed him into his stroller. She instructed me, “Spread your feet apart and hold your arms out to the side.” I obliged.

She patted my left arm, my right arm, my upper back and my lower back. She then said, “I need to reach in and feel along the inside of your waistband.”

She felt along my waistline, moved behind me, then proceeded to feel both of my buttocks. She reached from behind in the middle of my buttocks towards my vagina area.

She did not tell me that she was going to touch my buttocks, or reach forward to my vagina area.

She then moved in front of my and touched the top and underneath portions of both of my breasts.

She did not tell me that she was going to touch my breasts.

She then felt around my waist. She then moved to the bottoms of my legs.

She then felt my inner thighs and my vagina area, touching both of my labia.

She did not tell me that she was going to touch my vagina area or my labia.

She then told me that I could put my shoes on and I asked if I could pick up the baby, she replied Yes.

She then moved back to my belongings to finish scanning them with the paper discs for explosives. When she finished she said I was free to go.

I stood there holding my baby in shock. I did not move for almost a minute.

I stood there, an American citizen, a mom traveling with a baby with special needs formula, sexually assaulted by a government official. I began shaking and felt completely violated, abused and assaulted by the TSA agent. I shook for several hours, and woke up the next day shaking.

- Bjork

-Viktor Frankl
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2010, 07:28 AM   #84
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

from http://www.flyingpasties.com

Designed to cover your bits, block radiation, and with writing that supposedly can be read through the scanner -

- Bjork

-Viktor Frankl
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2010, 07:38 AM   #85
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

I was looking up flying pasties on youtube and I ran into a really homophobic video talking about the "butch-looking women" who work for the TSA and implying they are perverts, implying that they cherry-pick who to scan/grope based on hotness. So there's another shitty thing about this whole shitty thing.

- Bjork

-Viktor Frankl
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2010, 07:41 AM   #86
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat View Post
I was looking up flying pasties on youtube and I ran into a really homophobic video talking about the "butch-looking women" who work for the TSA and implying they are perverts.
Yeah, there is a lot of that going around right now.

For example:

Oh hi, we are the Religious Right and we want you to make sure there are no Queer TSA agents, please.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:17 AM   #87
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

The poll results are interesting as compared to posts.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #88
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 11-22-2010, 09:40 AM   #89
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

I'm pretty sure I already posted in here somewhere that I'd really rather not have TSA folks looking at my stuff....

Having said that, I just got back from a business trip to AZ and, on the return flight, got shunted into that little roped in area for a search. For the record, I did not set off the metal detector.

When I asked the TSA rep why I was being searched when I didn't make it go beep, he said "voluminous skirts." I said "huh?" He said, "we're under orders to search anyone wearing voluminous skirts."

Okay, soooooooo..... I was wearing a normal, knee-length business style dress, with a normal skirt. Now, I get that not so many people wear dresses these days, but I do. It wasn't one of my big, hippie, floor-length, you-could-hide-a-trio-of-toddlers-under-there skirts (which I do own and wear). I couldn't have hidden my purse under my skirt, let alone anything else.

Anyway....step on the mat, spread my legs, and get patted down by a (female) TSA agent.

She was polite about it and, frankly, cursory. If I had wanted to smuggle something I certainly could have. So, I wonder how much good this actually does, first of all...and how this is impacting national security when the only other women in skirts (and therefore presumably subject to the same search) looked to be 70+ years old.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #90
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,064 Posts
lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJo View Post
I'm pretty sure I already posted in here somewhere that I'd really rather not have TSA folks looking at my stuff....

Having said that, I just got back from a business trip to AZ and, on the return flight, got shunted into that little roped in area for a search. For the record, I did not set off the metal detector.

When I asked the TSA rep why I was being searched when I didn't make it go beep, he said "voluminous skirts." I said "huh?" He said, "we're under orders to search anyone wearing voluminous skirts."

Okay, soooooooo..... I was wearing a normal, knee-length business style dress, with a normal skirt. Now, I get that not so many people wear dresses these days, but I do. It wasn't one of my big, hippie, floor-length, you-could-hide-a-trio-of-toddlers-under-there skirts (which I do own and wear). I couldn't have hidden my purse under my skirt, let alone anything else.

Anyway....step on the mat, spread my legs, and get patted down by a (female) TSA agent.

She was polite about it and, frankly, cursory. If I had wanted to smuggle something I certainly could have. So, I wonder how much good this actually does, first of all...and how this is impacting national security when the only other women in skirts (and therefore presumably subject to the same search) looked to be 70+ years old.
I get patted down every time I fly because of my titanium knee its a total knee replacement. So I set the machine off. Then they the TSA folks also search everything that is with me. My purse, bag carryon etc. But to be patted down because you wearing a skirt makes no sense to me at all. You really can't hide anything under a skirt I don't think.
lipstixgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:06 AM   #91
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by betenoire View Post
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Somehow, I don't think that these things are "temporary." They continue to be "upgraded" each and every time some new or different approach to breaching security comes along. The more invasive body scanners are a result of the "under-wear" bomber last year. I think this will continue unless we finally get to the heart of the matter which isn’t about building better scanners.

And, no, I don't believe that any of this will stop those that want to figure out ways to get through security measures taken- at airports or any place else. Impossible.

This is the main reason I see diplomacy and understanding of cultural variables as so important throughout the world. No technological security measures will ever bring the kind of safety that working with other countries and respecting their forms of government/religious ideology can bring. Respecting someone else's convictions is important, even when it runs counter to our own. Kind of a basic human sense of justice. Right-wing religious zealots make me nuts, but they have every right to believe what they do. The US was essentially founded on religious freedom.

I prefer the freedoms and liberties afforded me in the US and certainly don't like some of the misogynist practices in other cultures, but, it is up to the people within their own country to change these things. Although, I certainly want my country to provide support for world victimization as a way to build better international relationships. A major part of what the US military is doing in both Afghanistan and Iraq is directed at building trust with these societies and building hospitals, schools and other infra-structures around social programs for people.

Franklin, did not live in the world as it is now.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #92
DomnNC
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Widow

Thanked 2,582 Times in 837 Posts
DomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST Reputation

http://theobserverinsight.com/en/sto...s-tsa-out.html
DomnNC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DomnNC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2010, 07:13 AM   #93
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

From the National Center for Transgender Equality - a guide for getting through the new airport procedures:

Transgender Travelers and New TSA Policies

- Bjork

-Viktor Frankl
Old 11-24-2010, 08:19 AM   #94
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,337 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Expert Travelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat View Post
From the National Center for Transgender Equality - a guide for getting through the new airport procedures:

Transgender Travelers and New TSA Policies
I have worked in the field of radiation, law and public health most of my adult life. Hold two Master degree's and, am so painfully aware of the physical, psychological and medical needs of the general public and this issue. It , is a state of the planet it seems, and the technology of the time.

I understand there are painful experiences going on and humiliation for some of the traveling public. But when millions of people need to be looked at the scanner is fast, and friendly.

Nice article. As a Frequent Flyer, and as the article says. "Use Common Sense " I flew to Diva's and the only problem I had was a huge delay with people in fear of the scanner, TSA explaining the public does not get to see your image, just a private screen room, and then you may be pulled out, very few pat downs, and the delays it caused.

Article reads in part:
"Foreign objects under clothing such as binding, packing or prosthetic devices may show up as unknown or unusual images on a body scan or patdown, which may lead TSA personnel to do additional screening. This does not mean that you cannot fly with these items, only they may lead to further screening. Be prepared to give a brief description of what they are or check them in your luggage so that you can minimize scrutiny and delays"

I travel alot, and pack 24/7 * except when going through the scanners. I am constantly light frisked, and am ready and aware of this, but I think it is due to the spiked motorcycle boots , and leathers
Since the advent of the new body scanner, and the undressed view they have access to in a private room, not viewed by anyone in line, I "pack" a bit different. I just asssume the pat down if packing will cause me an extra delay, I just "dress further" in the rest room AFTER I am scanned. Just place everything in the carryon, and go right on through, no pat down, and head to the first washroom to washup, and finish what I need to.

LeftWriteFemme is always subjected to a body and baggage check, as she always wears skirts or dresses, and is Lebanese. She just prepares for it, and is patient, and ligth frisked every time, and smiles.

Another article to look at:
Body Scanners Provoke Irrational Fear Of Over-Radiation At The Airport

Consider that when your plane soars up to 30,000 feet and brings you from New York to Los Angeles, you are exposed to 3 mrem of radiation, an amount that is 150 times greater than the scanner gives you before you board the same flight. Consider that the amount of radiation that you get from a scan (called backscatter because it reflects back rather than penetrates the skin) is so low that it is less than 2% of the amount of radiation you are exposed to in one day of simply walking around.

Full article is excellent * See*

http://www.forbes.com/2010/11/23/tsa...rc-siegel.html
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2010, 12:12 PM   #95
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Thanked 15,246 Times in 3,064 Posts
Andrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST Reputation

This makes me sick:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XhnZlmLGK8"]YouTube - TSA Breast Milk Screening Harassment Updated[/nomedia]

What we think about and thank about, we bring about!

Today I will treat my body with love and respect.
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2010, 06:08 AM   #96
MysticOceansFL

How Do You Identify?:
Butch,
Preferred Pronoun?:
People call me by my nic name.
Relationship Status:
Not Single, Not Desperate.

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,720 Posts
MysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post

I watched the tape and I agree with you not only did they over step thier boundaries but clearly he didnt know all the regulations in the guide lines of TSA plus that was harrassment on TSA part for holding her in an area when they could have handled it alot better than they did , and all those people who didnt get body scanned I wonder what they had or didnt have remember plastic doesnt get picked up on scans.

It is said, " Some lives are linked across time.....

Connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages "......
MysticOceansFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:53 AM   #97
asphaltcowboi

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Relationship Status:
HAPPY

7 Highscores

Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,042 Posts
asphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputation

i think its great for our saftey.. but i also believe that if TSA would have been trained and on there toes to begin with it would have never gotten to this point.. then if someone really wants to "attack" a plane/jet they will find a way no matter the security
Old 11-30-2010, 10:17 AM   #98
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Thanked 15,246 Times in 3,064 Posts
Andrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST Reputation

Who didn't see this coming?

Pat down to ride Greyhound test

What we think about and thank about, we bring about!

Today I will treat my body with love and respect.
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2010, 10:29 AM   #99
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
Who didn't see this coming?

Pat down to ride Greyhound test
This is specifically about classism and racism.

I've taken a lot of Greyhound. As someone who does not own a car and who cannot afford to fly, any time that I want to go somewhere that is within 12 hours of my home - I go there on Greyhound.

Any time that I have crossed the border from Canada to the US via Greyhound I was treated like a criminal - in ways that I was NEVER treated like a criminal when driving across the border or flying over the border. I'm not going to lie - any time I've been on a Greyhound bus 90% or more of the other passengers have been POC. I would guess that 100% of the people on the bus with me (myself included) make under 24k a year, some of us WELL under that.

To be poor or POC and ESPECIALLY to be both poor and POC is to immediately be suspect when dealing with homeland security goons.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #100
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Dear Ol Butch Bones
Preferred Pronoun?:
Old Thing
Relationship Status:
Too old to play.

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

My cousin trained bomb-sniffing dogs and he told me it says a hell of a lot if soldiers in Iraq and the FBI ditched the $100,000 xray scanners in favor of the $8,000 dogs. F*** these scanners. They are unconstitutional and unnecessary, and plain do not work!
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:

Tags
airports, backscatter, privacy, xray