Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 06-05-2010, 06:25 PM   #81
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinonahigh View Post
I drive a big o caddi and im not givein it up.One reason is I always wanted one..now I got it.Two its easy on my back to ride in..besides I dont go all that far in it and its in perfect shape.Im glad I dont still have the old gas guzler of an suv I had,it knew where all the gas pumps in town were.In reality I havent found smaller more effecent cars comfy at all..anyway its paid for.
It's OK, Rockin. I hear ya about comfort. Cars that are kept tuned make a big difference. Have had multiple back surgeries and a couple of kinds of arthritis, plus, I'm old. And as you say, how much we drive a vehicle matters. Also, commuting. Public transporatation, car pools, van-pools all help with folks that have to go a long distance for work. But, we have dropped tghe b all in the US about transportation infrastructure all over the place. I use public transportation here because it is actually easier, saves time and is less expensive. In some places, that just isn't so which needs to change.
Also I get some more walking in taking BART trains into SF and stolling to my destinations. I'm retired, however and this system is nearby. Then, again,
more fuel efficient transportation systems need to be utilized, too. And I have to say, I want these systems using US manufactured vehicle materials. the losses of manufacturing in the US makes me sick.

The car thing, can get into class differences, too. Some of these new hybrids cost mega bucks. Far more than the average person can afford. Look at average income levels and add all the other costs we have to put out and a lot of people are just not going to plunk down (or finance) $25000 and up for a car.

And I know that larger kinds of vehicles are needed let's say in the farming industry, etc. But, the technology to have even large commercial vehicles more fuel efficient has been around for awhile, but not utilized. Hummm... think oil companies have had a hand in this? There are hybrid SUVs now. And some people are just not OK with small cars due to safety concerns.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #82
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

AtlastHome..if it were possable for me to take public transportation most of the time I would,all we have hear is the city bus line wich is forever late,stinky,and way over crouded, the bus stop its usely just a sign to mark the bus stop and rarely is there a place to sit unless its on the curb.
I do becareful to keep the cadi well tuned up and tires in good order,haveing a son who is a master mechanic is a big plus.
I really thought of geting a green car but the price is way outta sight as well as the notes that will choke a horse..not to mention the inshurance cost.So I feel if I drive responsably I can at least keep my cabon foot print down as much as possabl.Recently I got some canvas bags to bring my shoping home in insted of useing plastic baggs,I have tons of tuppreware and or things like itso I will use them till they give out and hope something better and more eco friendly will come out one of these days.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2010, 11:54 AM   #83
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

So BP made a cut on the pipe coming out of the riser so they could cap it in order to keep at least some of the oil out of the water. They admit when they make the cut, the flow of oil out of that pipe will increase by 20% and if the cap fails then there will be 20% more oil flowing into the Gulf. The cap works and is keeping about 20% of the oil coming out of the pipe out of the Gulf.

BP proudly announces they are keeping oil out of the Gulf. ..................mmmmmmmmmmm................wait. ........you increase by 20%, then take 20% out..........that means you did nothing to decrease the flow of oil into the Gulf. However you damn sure can make it look and sound like you did something good.....

BP is doing hella good work out there in the Gulf.
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #84
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:
Happily married to MisterMeanor, the man of my dreams

Thanked 1,851 Times in 511 Posts
MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

Sorry, but the math thing is making me crazy. Say there's 100 gallons coming out. Making the cut increases that to 120 gallons. 20% of 120 is 24, so they're capturing 24 gallons, leaving 96 to spew. So, there's four less gallons coming out.

I know I know I know, 96 vs. 100 doesn't mean diddly squat, but the math thing made me twitch :-)

Besides, the bigger picture is that BP is now able to take that 20 new percent and pump it in to a ship, which they can then process and sell. They're finally able to squeeze a little $$$ out of this. That IS what's most important, after all.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #85
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

laughin..............msdemeanor...........see my math says increase flow by 20%, take out 20%.........that =zero.....same amount flowing as before......

I entirely see how you worked the problem and got your answer.......laughin..........which is the right one I am sure....

which is why I never got past algebra and geometry..........calculus and trig made my head explode........laughin....

(and I never really understood geometry until it snapped in place one day over a pool table....and then some basic physics also made some kind of sense)

give me natural sciences, biology, microbiology, parasitology, hematology, immunology, etc any day.............

I do hate math..........math is hard
I will not assimilate

The Following User Says Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #86
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Dear Ol Butch Bones
Preferred Pronoun?:
Old G
Relationship Status:
Too old to play.

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

Tesla disliked algebra and calculus too, that's why the physics community did'nt pay much attention to him I reckon.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2010, 06:54 AM   #87
Diavolo

How Do You Identify?:
Butch

Diavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST Reputation

I'm seeing some stuff on the conservative sites about some guy named Nick Pozzi and some supposed solution that was used before but BP won't consider it now, involving "vacuuming" the oil up into tankers.

I've spent some time trying to get to the bottom of it, but haven't been successful. I know how an idea catches fire and every jackass in the world forwards it around.

Has anybody here actually seen or done the research to see what they're talking about? Was it really used in the Middle East in 1993? Did it work? Why would it or wouldn't it work now?

I know how those websites are, and like a friend said the other day, even a stopped watch is right twice a day.
Diavolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #88
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Obama says he's finding out 'whose ass to kick' over Gulf disaster

Harsh words....
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_pl2451
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #89
morningstar55

How Do You Identify?:
femme,she
Preferred Pronoun?:
she,her,
Relationship Status:
very single

Thanked 4,241 Times in 1,845 Posts
morningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputation

i am absolutly amazed by this video....
British Petroleum ... IS NOT... smarter then a 5th grader...
lol .... Jeff Foxworthy will love this one.. lol
lol
http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-456489?hpt=Sbin

life is to short to wake up in the morning with regrets
so love the people who treat you right,
forget about the ones who dont,
and believe that everything happens for a reason.
If you get a chance take it... if it changes your life let it.
morningstar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to morningstar55 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #90
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Rachel Maddow segment from last night:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908..._show#37563700

it's about 20 minutes or so long but very much worth it.....
I will not assimilate

The Following User Says Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #91
Kat

How Do You Identify?:
I do not, thanks
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Taken

Kat Has the BEST ReputationKat Has the BEST ReputationKat Has the BEST ReputationKat Has the BEST ReputationKat Has the BEST ReputationKat Has the BEST ReputationKat Has the BEST ReputationKat Has the BEST ReputationKat Has the BEST ReputationKat Has the BEST ReputationKat Has the BEST Reputation

If you care about what's happening in the Gulf of Mexico, read this...

"The Spill, The Scandal, and The President: The inside story of how Obama failed to crack down on the corruption of the Bush years – and let the world's most dangerous oil company get away with murder" (Rolling Stone -- June 8, 2010)

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...RS_show_page=0
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #92
Bob

How Do You Identify?:
Jackass.

Bob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Frankly, they don't need their asses kicked, they need to be taken out back and shot.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #93
chefhottie25

How Do You Identify?:
boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
hy
Relationship Status:
happily taken

chefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post

Harsh words....
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_pl2451
I hope that Obama follows his tough talk with actions.
chefhottie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chefhottie25 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2010, 06:31 PM   #94
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:
love wise guys of the avian world

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,301 Posts
violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation

i follow the oil spill from audubon, nwra [national wildlife rehabilitators association], http://www.nwrawildlife.org/home.asp ,
noaa, as well as other news -

http://www.salon.com/news/louisiana_..._sketchy_plans

people who are licensed and certified post emergency spilled oil cleanup, for wildlife rehabilitators, and then pass required examinations/training may be contacted pretty soon. [i've been listed since the incident, and ready to go should i be called upon in the next few weeks. the audubon and nwra are working the same way- which is great- the application process, certification, and so on, the concerted effort for these organisations.]

last email from audubon:

Another Tough Week But Some Good News, Too

As we all know, even guarded optimism regarding BPs efforts last week to stop the Gulf oil leak turned out to be misplaced. But once again there is at least a glimmer of hope on the horizon, with today’s news that efforts to place a containment cap over the well appear to have been more successful. That said, this is at best a short term and partial measure, as it would enable some of the spewing oil to be siphoned to a tanker on the surface.

Meanwhile, NOAA has expanded the Gulf’s “no-fishing” zone, oil has reached Alabama’s Dauphin Island and begun washing up on north Florida beaches, and the US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) has confirmed oiled birds from Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida. Details are sketchy but you can see the lastest US Fish and Wildlife report on captured and dead wildlife here (PDF). Although not every captured or dead bird is a result of the spill, this presents an important picture of impacts on wildlife.

This crisis is clearly going to be with us for many months to come — and beyond — with a long-term solution not anticipated before relief drills can be completed in August. Audubon’s Melanie Driscoll highlighted some of the recovery’s challenges for Audubon magazine’s blog. However, as anyone who is following the latest developments and the recent photos from the spill can attest, you don’t need to be on location to feel heartbreak and even despair as you see its toll on wildlife.

As the crisis deepens, so does the need for a multi-pronged and coordinated response. Fortunately, Audubon’s Oil Spill Volunteer Response Center (learn more here), launched in Moss Point, Mississippi this week, will enable us — and many of our committed volunteers — to play an increasingly important role in that response.

The center will serve as the hub for our recovery effort throughout the Gulf. Under the direction of Sean Saville, National Field Director for Audubon, volunteers are already staffing the center and scheduling other volunteers in a range of essential tasks, including assisting in the transport of injured and oiled birds, creating transport cages, and answering the center’s Bird Hotline.

Here are a few excerpts from one volunteer's account of her time helping to ready oiled birds for transport:

"While there I put together pet taxi's. Tie wraps work so much faster and easier than the screws Since there aren't any large animals going into the pet taxi's, a tie wrap on each corner is enough to hold them together. I placed the oil absorbant pads in the bottom...I was put in charge of making sure all the incoming birds were labeled with the coordinates where it was picked up. I wrote the coordinates on paper and gave it a number which I wrote on a piece of duck tape and stuck on the pet taxi. That way I remembered what boat the birds came off of in case there was a question...Thanks for giving me chance to experience this. I really enjoyed today and look forward to tomorrow."

We will be ramping up this week, ensuring that dedicated and trained volunteers, like Christine above, are on hand to meet the evolving needs of the recovery effort. Here is some of what they will be doing:

•Volunteer Response Center Staff — scheduling volunteers, identifying and coordinating engagement with new projects, logistical support, arranging training, office management, etc.
•Coastal Bird Survey — collecting data and photos on bird resources and impacts across the coast according to specific scientific protocols.
•Wildlife Transport Facilitator — assisting USFWS and Tri-State Bird Rescue with round-the-clock shifts in key locations for injured/oiled wildlife recovery and transport operations throughout the coastal region.
•Bird Capture and Rescue Materials — volunteers are needed to make nets, cages and other materials to assist trained professionals in oiled bird rescue efforts.
•Citizen Science Monitoring — submitting electronic information on birds sightings at Important Bird Areas, refuges or sanctuaries to assess population impacts, numbers of target species or species of concern.
•Bird Hotline Operators — providing on-site bird expertise for our Volunteer Response Center as well as possibly in field offices of BP, Tri-State Bird Rescue and others involved in response efforts to address issues related to bird sightings, handling, species identification, etc.

Audubon is very grateful for our dedicated volunteers — and we simply can’t say that enough! It is important to know that even if you are not on the frontlines, it is your commitment that is making it possible for us to make a real difference — even in the face of this unprecedented challenge — for birds, wildlife and communities throughout the Gulf region.

more on volunteering-

http://www.alabamarivers.org/press-r...update-5-14-10
violaine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2010, 06:45 PM   #95
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat View Post
If you care about what's happening in the Gulf of Mexico, read this...

"The Spill, The Scandal, and The President: The inside story of how Obama failed to crack down on the corruption of the Bush years – and let the world's most dangerous oil company get away with murder" (Rolling Stone -- June 8, 2010)

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...RS_show_page=0
First, I have to say that I have criticisms of Obama. However, one of the things I feel strongly about is that many of his inside people do not advise him well and have their own political agenda's going on. he can't do everything! He has to rely on the damn cabinet members to follow his agenda and it is this that is at the bottom of the this. Also, I cannot remember an incoming president (and I am 59 and have voted since I was 18) with the plate of very serious problems this one has.

My hope is that along with BP people, government people are charged with criminal intent eventually. Right now, however, I want all of the best minds in the field (and world- it is actually a global problem)to be working together on this disaster. Then, I wanty to see money put into the reasearch and development needed to deal with these things and sources of getting the US away from the need for oil at the level we use it.

This week, the 11 workers killed have been getting some press (AC-360 on CNN) and the survivors that went through this. FINALLY!! There are a lot of people in this I would love to kick in ass, but, pointing fingers while that oil is still gushing in the Gulf is just not going to help. Yes, collect evidence so that the survivors of the dead as well as the surviving workers get help. And those that have lost everything on the Gulf in terms of their livlihood. Gather evidence for the cases to come because this is going to be a very long haul.

There are also volunteer organizations that we can join to clean birds, ect. Or donate to as many people that care have physical challenges that prevent them from actually going there and washing the birds.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2010, 10:58 PM   #96
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Thank you so much for [osting this information). I admire your didication to wildlife. I am trying to get certified to help clean birds, etc. and this is just what I needed to find out how. Ya' gotta know what the hell you are doing to be able to assist with these magnificient creatures. I certainly could be a grunt, too. Hoping I can figure a way. Thank you and all of the people trained in these services and giving time to these efforts.

This is exactly why I am tired of some of the criticism of Obama about his consulting with experts. You don't send people in that do not know what the hell are doing! Organizing these efforts (and getting the people with these skills) from all over the country (the world) is not an easy task. Many of us can get at least entry-level disaster training in our communities. This can even be helpful when things like this happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by violaine View Post
i follow the oil spill from audubon, nwra [national wildlife rehabilitators association], http://www.nwrawildlife.org/home.asp ,
noaa, as well as other news -

http://www.salon.com/news/louisiana_..._sketchy_plans

people who are licensed and certified post emergency spilled oil cleanup, for wildlife rehabilitators, and then pass required examinations/training may be contacted pretty soon. [i've been listed since the incident, and ready to go should i be called upon in the next few weeks. the audubon and nwra are working the same way- which is great- the application process, certification, and so on, the concerted effort for these organisations.]

last email from audubon:

Another Tough Week But Some Good News, Too

As we all know, even guarded optimism regarding BPs efforts last week to stop the Gulf oil leak turned out to be misplaced. But once again there is at least a glimmer of hope on the horizon, with today’s news that efforts to place a containment cap over the well appear to have been more successful. That said, this is at best a short term and partial measure, as it would enable some of the spewing oil to be siphoned to a tanker on the surface.

Meanwhile, NOAA has expanded the Gulf’s “no-fishing” zone, oil has reached Alabama’s Dauphin Island and begun washing up on north Florida beaches, and the US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) has confirmed oiled birds from Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida. Details are sketchy but you can see the lastest US Fish and Wildlife report on captured and dead wildlife here (PDF). Although not every captured or dead bird is a result of the spill, this presents an important picture of impacts on wildlife.

This crisis is clearly going to be with us for many months to come — and beyond — with a long-term solution not anticipated before relief drills can be completed in August. Audubon’s Melanie Driscoll highlighted some of the recovery’s challenges for Audubon magazine’s blog. However, as anyone who is following the latest developments and the recent photos from the spill can attest, you don’t need to be on location to feel heartbreak and even despair as you see its toll on wildlife.

As the crisis deepens, so does the need for a multi-pronged and coordinated response. Fortunately, Audubon’s Oil Spill Volunteer Response Center (learn more here), launched in Moss Point, Mississippi this week, will enable us — and many of our committed volunteers — to play an increasingly important role in that response.

The center will serve as the hub for our recovery effort throughout the Gulf. Under the direction of Sean Saville, National Field Director for Audubon, volunteers are already staffing the center and scheduling other volunteers in a range of essential tasks, including assisting in the transport of injured and oiled birds, creating transport cages, and answering the center’s Bird Hotline.

Here are a few excerpts from one volunteer's account of her time helping to ready oiled birds for transport:

"While there I put together pet taxi's. Tie wraps work so much faster and easier than the screws Since there aren't any large animals going into the pet taxi's, a tie wrap on each corner is enough to hold them together. I placed the oil absorbant pads in the bottom...I was put in charge of making sure all the incoming birds were labeled with the coordinates where it was picked up. I wrote the coordinates on paper and gave it a number which I wrote on a piece of duck tape and stuck on the pet taxi. That way I remembered what boat the birds came off of in case there was a question...Thanks for giving me chance to experience this. I really enjoyed today and look forward to tomorrow."

We will be ramping up this week, ensuring that dedicated and trained volunteers, like Christine above, are on hand to meet the evolving needs of the recovery effort. Here is some of what they will be doing:

•Volunteer Response Center Staff — scheduling volunteers, identifying and coordinating engagement with new projects, logistical support, arranging training, office management, etc.
•Coastal Bird Survey — collecting data and photos on bird resources and impacts across the coast according to specific scientific protocols.
•Wildlife Transport Facilitator — assisting USFWS and Tri-State Bird Rescue with round-the-clock shifts in key locations for injured/oiled wildlife recovery and transport operations throughout the coastal region.
•Bird Capture and Rescue Materials — volunteers are needed to make nets, cages and other materials to assist trained professionals in oiled bird rescue efforts.
•Citizen Science Monitoring — submitting electronic information on birds sightings at Important Bird Areas, refuges or sanctuaries to assess population impacts, numbers of target species or species of concern.
•Bird Hotline Operators — providing on-site bird expertise for our Volunteer Response Center as well as possibly in field offices of BP, Tri-State Bird Rescue and others involved in response efforts to address issues related to bird sightings, handling, species identification, etc.

Audubon is very grateful for our dedicated volunteers — and we simply can’t say that enough! It is important to know that even if you are not on the frontlines, it is your commitment that is making it possible for us to make a real difference — even in the face of this unprecedented challenge — for birds, wildlife and communities throughout the Gulf region.

more on volunteering-

http://www.alabamarivers.org/press-r...update-5-14-10

Last edited by AtLast; 06-09-2010 at 11:00 PM. Reason: correctyions
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2010, 11:24 PM   #97
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:
love wise guys of the avian world

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,301 Posts
violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation
Default :) atlasthome-

you are welcome. here is what i've learned from emails, talking with other wildlife bird rehabbers, and attending webcast overviews: unless someone has bird handling experience/is already licensed, working on a state or federal permit [and the latter are becoming more difficult to come by- you could check out the NWRA link, which should list information about licensing], the professionals/paraprofessionals will go in first. in fact, the very first question in order to actually receive oil spill work certification for handling birds [exam covers wildlife rehabbing questions/safety/osha] - is whether or not you are licensed.

this spill is so massive, i cannot conceive of knowledgeable volunteers being turned away to help wildlife in peril, if a shortage of help arises. experience in other areas besides WR could be taken into consideration. also, a few of the working conditions listed, like the types of oil, smells- oil itself/birds, protective gear, stress, heat, and so on, is something to seriously think about, while the desire to help may be strong, for individuals who have asthma, and/or other health issues, not a good scenario

Last edited by violaine; 06-09-2010 at 11:26 PM.
violaine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2010, 11:51 PM   #98
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:
Happily married to MisterMeanor, the man of my dreams

Thanked 1,851 Times in 511 Posts
MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
This is exactly why I am tired of some of the criticism of Obama about his consulting with experts.
Wow, I totally missed that. He's being criticized for consulting with experts? I really do live in the land of the truly stupid, don't I?
Old 06-09-2010, 11:59 PM   #99
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughy View Post
So BP made a cut on the pipe coming out of the riser so they could cap it in order to keep at least some of the oil out of the water. They admit when they make the cut, the flow of oil out of that pipe will increase by 20% and if the cap fails then there will be 20% more oil flowing into the Gulf. The cap works and is keeping about 20% of the oil coming out of the pipe out of the Gulf.

BP proudly announces they are keeping oil out of the Gulf. ..................mmmmmmmmmmm................wait. ........you increase by 20%, then take 20% out..........that means you did nothing to decrease the flow of oil into the Gulf. However you damn sure can make it look and sound like you did something good.....

BP is doing hella good work out there in the Gulf.
They get the prize for double-talk.... Oh, or is it zero-sum? They have been having a difficult time all along with the math. And I am so freaking happy they are able to collect some of the oil so that they can keep their shareholders happy! Yeah, hella good work!The only organization I listen to about this is NOAA.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:06 AM   #100
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,178 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I'm watching Anderson Cooper 360 right now and he is blasting BP for their total lack of disclosure....

They make the fishermen sign a contract that doesn't allow them tell us what they're finding.

15,000 barrels a day.......

This whole thing just frustrates the hell out of me and I'm safely tucked away in central Texas for pity's sake! I can't even imagine what the poor people in Louisiana ~ especially those on the coast ~ must be experiencing!!!!!!

SHAME ON YOU, BP!!!!!!!!!! SHAME ON YOU!
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post: