Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 07-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #161
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayla View Post
Yeah, I did ice for a bit this morning and it helped but then had to go out in the world and all. He called in some drops and Flonase, I think. That should help.

It was just weird talking to him because I know I've been having issues the past couple of days with allergies but I really never made the connection. I mean, I have thyroid fog and I have fibro fog and I can usually tell the difference between them. It never crossed my mind that now I have hayfever fog to go along with both of those!
Yer a foggy mess. Feel better Gayla.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2010, 06:15 PM   #162
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

For Gayla: I Love THIS mask.
It makes allergies tolerable.

You should try it.
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2010, 06:16 PM   #163
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFemme View Post

You should try it.
Wonder how it works on migraines?
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
The Following User Says Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2010, 06:37 PM   #164
Gayla
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky Butch Top
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm not picky
Relationship Status:
She makes me dance like a fool and forget how to breathe.

Thanked 7,078 Times in 1,966 Posts
Gayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

You should try it.
That would be much better than laying around with a bag of frozen peas on my face!
Gayla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gayla For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #165
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
Wonder how it works on migraines?
it cures my migraines, i found that out after the fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayla View Post
That would be much better than laying around with a bag of frozen peas on my face!
it is amazing! not only can you freeze it, you can microwave it. often times for me, heat works far better on my sinuses. usually though? i switch between hot and cold during the day/night, because after the heat dilates the sinuses? the cold can better bring down the swelling. amazing.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #166
dixie
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
I usually just poke it with a stick.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Bitch
Relationship Status:
Intertwined deeply

Thanked 21,385 Times in 4,808 Posts
dixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
sleeping has been an issue for me since my accident. i can usually get in a few hours at a time...

so my doctor gave me some sleeping aids. the first one? ambien? i totally freaked out, and my kids had to call cal over for help. i was apparently being ridiculous. know what? i do not remember a thing. needless to say, those meds went in the trash. next it was lunesta. same thing. trash.

i gave up on meds for a while, scared of having these "fugue" states where i act like a nut and everyone remembers it but me.

recently, in the hospital they gave me trazedone. which basically equates to a large dose of benadryl. it works, but i find it so hard to wake up...and my head is super foggy. so i only use when i am breaking down due to exhaustion. the rest of the time i take herbal sleep aids.

so yes. i feel for you corkey and can so relate.

here is some info on herbal/natural sleep remedies.

Nutritional supplements: 5-HTP, Melatonin
Best herbal remedies: Valerian, Corydalis, Lavender
Other remedies: Chamomile, Passion Flower and hops
Also look at: homeopathic remedies, they are safe also for children
Dr Deepak Choprasuggests the following Ayurvedic remedies:
a cup of warm milk with two strands of saffron or some grated nutmeg
I so couldn't pass up the Ambien thing. My docs tried that out on me also. After 3 seperate incidents including: (1)waking up nekkid in the front lawn at 3am, (2)waking up nekkid behind the wheel of my car (luckily still in my driveway), and (3)waking up screaming from nightterrors and attacking the person trying to wake me...I have vowed to never touch that stuff again...ugh...
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dixie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2010, 08:19 PM   #167
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixielady View Post
I so couldn't pass up the Ambien thing. My docs tried that out on me also. After 3 seperate incidents including: (1)waking up nekkid in the front lawn at 3am, (2)waking up nekkid behind the wheel of my car (luckily still in my driveway), and (3)waking up screaming from nightterrors and attacking the person trying to wake me...I have vowed to never touch that stuff again...ugh...
yikes. what is amazing to me? is that it is still being prescribed. at all. with sleep eating/sleep driving alone? it is clearly too risky and dangerous to the point that the consequence could be very severe.

thank GOD you were safe after your naked adventures. seriously, you just made me get all mother hen protective about you. i would have to gather a differently abled posse and take out anyone that harmed you in that state of mind.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #168
dixie
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
I usually just poke it with a stick.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Bitch
Relationship Status:
Intertwined deeply

Thanked 21,385 Times in 4,808 Posts
dixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
yikes. what is amazing to me? is that it is still being prescribed. at all. with sleep eating/sleep driving alone? it is clearly too risky and dangerous to the point that the consequence could be very severe.

thank GOD you were safe after your naked adventures. seriously, you just made me get all mother hen protective about you. i would have to gather a differently abled posse and take out anyone that harmed you in that state of mind.
Aww...thank you Mother Hen... I could just imagine the posse you would put together. I can also imagine my utter mortification at being SEEN in such a state...gah! I'm glad I don't have neighbors. They would have been horrified by the sight of this nekkid girl running amok in the yard...or hopefully they would have just thought I was a very spiritual individual dancing to the Moon Goddess...

Seriously though... It's strange, because it affects my grandmother in similar ways, but my dad takes it with no problems at all. Personally I do think it is way too dangerous. I'm really glad that when I woke up in the car, at least I didn't have my keys in the ignition.
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dixie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2010, 11:25 AM   #169
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Member Photo Albums

Thought for the day: May we all find a little bit of what make Faith the Dog tick within ourselves today, and every day.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:34 PM   #170
FeminineAllure

How Do You Identify?:
Female
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
My rainbow is way overdue

7 Highscores

Thanked 2,026 Times in 555 Posts
FeminineAllure Has the BEST ReputationFeminineAllure Has the BEST ReputationFeminineAllure Has the BEST ReputationFeminineAllure Has the BEST ReputationFeminineAllure Has the BEST ReputationFeminineAllure Has the BEST ReputationFeminineAllure Has the BEST ReputationFeminineAllure Has the BEST ReputationFeminineAllure Has the BEST ReputationFeminineAllure Has the BEST ReputationFeminineAllure Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

It takes me 400 mg tegretol, 1mg benztropin, 1mg fluphenazine, 300 mg seroquel, 1mg klonopin, 1 to 2 benadryl, 1 singulair and 40mg of cymbalta to get to sleep for a few hours. If my pain from fibromyalgia is bad then I also take 1 30 mg oxycodone.
I have been on every sleeping pill made. They do not work for me. Trazodone makes me do really strange things as well. never again.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:43 PM   #171
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Member Photo Albums

Today I feel afraid, and sick, and am losing hope. So I was perusing my journals and came across something that my therapist in brain injury rehab gave to me a little over seven years ago. I thought I'd share it with you all, since your kindness and woo have been what holds me up when I cannot: Sometimes, when it is all too much? I have to come back here and read this. I have to remember. In the process my ability to hope happens again. I hope it means as much to ya'll as it did to me.

Hello,

I'm glad to see that you are awake! This is your brain talking. I had to find some way to communicate with you. I feel like I barely survived WWIII and am still not quite all in one piece. That's why I need you. I need you to take care of me.

As time passes and you and I feel better and better, people, even doctors, will tell you that we are fine, "it's time to get on with life." That sounds good to me and probably even better to you. But before you go rushing back out into that big wide world, I need you to listen to me, really listen. Don't shut me out. Don't tune me out. When I'm getting into trouble I'll need your help more than I ever have before.

I know that you want to believe that we are going to be the same. I'll do my best to make that happen. The problem is that too many people in our situation get impatient and try to rush the healing process; or when their brains can't fully recover they deny it and, instead of adapting, they force their brains to function in ways they are no longer able too. Some people even push their brains until they seize, and worse... I'm scared. I'm afraid that you will do that to me. If you don't accept me I am lost. We both will be lost.

How can I tell you how much I need you now? I need you to accept me as I am today... not for what I used to be, or what I might be in the future. So many people are so busy looking at what their brains used to do, as if past accomplishments were a magical yardstick to measure present success or failures, that they fail to see how far their brains have come. It's as if here is shame, or guilt, in being injured. Silly, huh?

Please don't be embarrassed or feel guilt, or shame, because of me. We are okay. We have made it this far. If you work with me we can make it even further. I can't say how far. I won't make any false promises. I can only promise you this, that I will do my best.

What I need you to do is this: because neither of us knows how badly I've been hurt (things are still a little foggy for me), or how much I will recover, or how quickly, please go s-l-o-w-l-y when you start back trying to resume your life. If I give you a headache, or make you sick to your stomach, or make you unusually irritable, or confused, or disoriented, or afraid, or make you feel that you are overdoing it, I'm trying to get your attention in the only way I can. Stop and listen to me.

I get exhausted easily since being hurt, and cannot succeed when overworked. I want to succeed as much as you do. I want to be as well as I can be, but I need to do it at a different pace than I could before I got hurt. Help me to help us by paying attention and heeding the messages I send to you.
I will do my part to do my very best to get us back on our feet. I am a little worried though that if I am not exactly the same... you will reject me and may even want to kill us. Other people have wanted to kill their brains, and some people have succeeded. I don't want to die, and I don't want you to die.

I want us to live, and breath and be, even if being is not the same as it was. Different may be better. It may be harder too, but I don't want you to give up. Don't give up on me. Don't give up on yourself. Our time here isn't through yet. There are things that I want to do and I want to try, even if trying has to be done in a different way. It isn't easy. I have to work very hard, much harder, and I know that you do too. I see people scoff, and misunderstand. I don't care. What I do care about is that you understand how hard I am working and how much I want to be as good as I can be, but I need you to take good care of us, as well as you can do that.

Don't be ashamed of me. We are alive. We are still here. I want the chance to try to show you what we are made of. I want to show you the things that are really important in life. We have been given another chance to be better, to learn what is really important. When it is finally time for our final exit I would like to look back and feel good about what we made of us and out of everything that made up our life, including this injury. I cannot do it without you. I cannot do it if you hate me for the way being injured has affected me and our life together. Please try not to be bitter in grief. That would crush me.

Please don't reject me. There is little I can do without you, without your determination to not give up. Take good care of us and of yourself. I need you very much, especially now.

Love,
your wounded brain

©1996 Stephanie St. Claire
May be reprinted for personal, not for profit use.
Livetulaff@aol.com
Contact me if
you have any questions or comments.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2010, 08:08 PM   #172
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Woo
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:00 AM   #173
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Member Photo Albums
Default great blog...

Disability Issues

Disability Activists

In December 2000, the gay newsmagazine The Advocate published the results of a reader poll. One of the questions was, "Do you think people with disabilities are treated fairly within the gay and lesbian community?" In response, 58 percent of the readers answered, "No," while only 20 percent said, "Yes." Although informal and unscientific, the poll demonstrates a perceived failure to address disability issues within the glbtq community.

Terminology

The term "disabled" is used to describe a wide variety of conditions that limit or hinder a person's ability to perform tasks of daily living. Indeed, there has been extensive debate over what words should be used to describe persons with disabilities, ranging from the outdated "handicapped" to the more inclusive "differently abled."

Disabled activists have generally disliked calling their disabilities handicaps, arguing that their chief handicaps are the barriers an unresponsive society creates. These barriers include both physical obstacles to accessibility and attitudes of prejudice, condescension, and ignorance.

Early AIDS activists recognized the important connection between terminology and attitude when they worked to replace the patronizing term "AIDS victims" with the more empowering term "people with AIDS" or "PWAs." Some disabled activists have turned the tables by creating a label for those without disabilities, calling them "TABS" or "temporarily able bodied." This tongue-in-cheek description highlights the fact that most people are likely to experience some form of disability in the course of their lives.

Diverse Disabilities, Unifying Issues

Disabilities may be the result of genetics, medical disorders, accident, assault, or the aging process. Blindness, deafness, and paraplegia are lumped together under the umbrella term of disability, as are AIDS, chronic fatigue immune disorder syndrome, cerebral palsy, limb amputations, mental illnesses, and much more.

Obviously people with such a wide range of diagnoses have vastly different issues. Some, like the Deaf and many amputees, may not consider themselves disabled at all, because they have adapted so well to any limitations they may have. Deaf people, for example, have created their own language and culture.

However, there are issues that unite many people with disabilities, and primary among them is the issue of the right of control over one's own life. Central to achieving this control is resistance to the prejudice of ableism, which often views people with disabilities as pitiable and helpless.

Other important aspects of independence for those with disabilities are access to social services, including medical care and trained (though not necessarily medical) caretakers, and a societal commitment to making personal and public spaces accessible to all.

Like gay and lesbian activists, disabled activists have fought against being considered sick or defective and have demanded respect for their unique identities. Reclaiming words like "gimp" and "crip," which were once used to demean them, disabled activists demand equality rather than pity.

Queer Disability Issues

Disabled persons who are also queerqueer may find themselves doubly invalidated. On one hand, they face homophobia, homophobia within the medical and social service systems and often within their own families. In addition, the partners of gay men and lesbians with disabilities must frequently struggle for recognition of their relationship.

The case of Sharon Kowalski and Karen Thompson provides a powerful example of the difficulties faced by disabled queers who lose control over their own choices. When Kowalski was severely disabled in an automobile accident in 1983, she was placed in the custody of her homophobic parents, forcing Thompson to fight an extended legal battle to gain first visitation rights and then custody of her longtime lover. The Thompson-Kowalski case was a wake-up call to the queer community, both about disabled rights and about the temporary nature of physical health and ability.

On the other hand, disabled queers often find themselves invisible or marginalized within their own community. Accessibility to queer events and queer spaces is an ongoing problem. The problem persists because of ignorance about what is needed; and this ignorance stems from the separation between abled and disabled people within the gay community.

Many queers who do not have disabilities simply do not understand how many issues need to be taken into account to create accessibility. An event location may be advertised as wheelchair accessible because there are no stairs, yet the bathroom is too small to accommodate a wheelchair. American Sign Language interpreters may be engaged to interpret an event, but the event is not publicized within the Deaf community, so Deaf queers do not attend. A chemically sensitive lesbian may attend an event she believes will be accessible, but become ill from sitting behind someone wearing a perfume. Eventually, she may decide she cannot attempt to attend such events and, as a result, experience isolation.

However, many queers with disabilities have refused to remain silent. They have formed support networks, created publications, and become part of a larger radical disabled rights movement, demanding respect, independence, and accommodation from their own community as well as the larger society.

For example, queers are active in Not Dead Yet, a militant disabled rights group that opposes the assisted suicide movement because it devalues the lives of those with disabilities. Groups such as Blind Friends of Lesbians, Gays, Bisexual, and Transgender People (BFLAG) and the Rainbow Alliance of the Deaf offer support and connection for queers with particular disabilities.

In queer communities everywhere strong disabled activists work in many different ways to counter ableist attitudes and promote inclusivity. In Montreal, for example, activists have raised awareness about queers with disabilities by confronting the lack of accessibility in such venues as Image and Nation, the Montreal gay and lesbian film festival, and l'Androgyne, the city's queer bookstore.

In 1996, Sergeant Sharon Fitzpatrick Smith founded the Lesbian Disabled Veterans of America, which later became the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Disabled Veterans of America. Another activist, Peter Little founded San Francisco Gay Amputees in 2006.

Disabled gay performance artist Greg Walloch puts an elfishly raunchy face on disability issues in his sharply satiric comic act. Walloch's life and work are the subject of a 2001 film by Eli Kabillio: Keeping it Real: The Adventures of Greg Walloch.

Queer disability activists have also started publications to offer support and a public voice to those who have long been isolated and invisible within the glbtq community. San Francisco's Dragonsani Renteria, a Deaf queer trans activist has been instrumental in the formation of the National Deaf Queer Resource Center and Flash, a webzine for Deaf queers which began publication in 1994. Bent: A Journal of Cripgay Voices is a bi-monthly ezine "by and for cripgay men." The journal, founded in 1999 by Bob Guter, celebrates the full lives of gay men with disabilities, including news, community, and sexuality.

In addition, listserves abound where glbtq people with a wide range of disabilities can share their experiences with others who are coping with similar problems and where caregivers and allies of the disabled can also find information and support.

http://www.glbtq.com/social-sciences...ty_issues.html
Old 09-26-2010, 11:10 AM   #174
FeminineAllure

How Do You Identify?:
Female
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

7 Highscores

FeminineAllure Has the BEST ReputationFeminineAllure Has the BEST ReputationFeminineAllure Has the BEST ReputationFeminineAllure Has the BEST ReputationFeminineAllure Has the BEST ReputationFeminineAllure Has the BEST ReputationFeminineAllure Has the BEST ReputationFeminineAllure Has the BEST ReputationFeminineAllure Has the BEST ReputationFeminineAllure Has the BEST ReputationFeminineAllure Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Words Matter!

Prepared by the Texas Council for Developmental Disabilities.

Note: I prefer the term "Differently Abled" but despite this article using the word "Disabled" instead I felt it still made some very valid points.

Describing People with Disabilities
Who are People with Disabilities?
People with disabilities are -- first and foremost, people -- people who have individual abilities, interests and needs. For the most part, they are ordinary individuals seeking to live ordinary lives. People with disabilities are moms, dads, sons, daughters, sisters, brothers, friends, neighbors, coworkers, students and teachers. About 54 million Americans -- one out of every five individuals -- have a disability. Their contributions enrich our communities and society as they live, work and share their lives.

Changing Images Presented
Historically, people with disabilities have been regarded as individuals to be pitied, feared or ignored. They have been portrayed as helpless victims, repulsive adversaries, heroic individuals overcoming tragedy, and charity cases who must depend on others for their well being and care. Media coverage frequently focused on heartwarming features and inspirational stories that reinforced stereotypes, patronized and underestimated individuals' capabilities.

Much has changed lately. New laws, disability activism and expanded coverage of disability issues have altered public awareness and knowledge, eliminating the worst stereotypes and misrepresentations. Still, old attitudes, experiences and stereotypes die hard.

People with disabilities continue to seek accurate portrayals that present a respectful, positive view of individuals as active participants of society, in regular social, work and home environments. Additionally, people with disabilities are focusing attention on tough issues that affect quality of life, such as accessible transportation, housing, affordable health care, employment opportunities and discrimination.

Eliminating Stereotypes -- Words Matter!
Every individual regardless of sex, age, race or ability deserves to be treated with dignity and respect. As part of the effort to end discrimination and segregation -- in employment, education and our communities at large -- it's important to eliminate prejudicial language.

Like other minorities, the disability community has developed preferred terminology -- People First Language. More than a fad or political correctness, People First Language is an objective way of acknowledging, communicating and reporting on disabilities. It eliminates generalizations, assumptions and stereotypes by focusing on the person rather than the disability.

As the term implies, People First Language refers to the individual first and the disability second. It's the difference in saying the autistic and a child with autism. (See the following.) While some people may not use preferred terminology, it's important you don't repeat negative terms that stereotype, devalue or discriminate, just as you'd avoid racial slurs and say women instead of gals.

Equally important, ask yourself if the disability is even relevant and needs to be mentioned when referring to individuals, in the same way racial identification is being eliminated from news stories when it is not significant.

What Should You Say?
Be sensitive when choosing the words you use. Here are a few guidelines on appropriate language.

Recognize that people with disabilities are ordinary people with common goals for a home, a job and a family. Talk about people in ordinary terms.
Never equate a person with a disability -- such as referring to someone as retarded, an epileptic or quadriplegic. These labels are simply medical diagnosis. Use People First Language to tell what a person HAS, not what a person IS.
Emphasize abilities not limitations. For example, say a man walks with crutches, not he is crippled.
Avoid negative words that imply tragedy, such as afflicted with, suffers, victim, prisoner and unfortunate.
Recognize that a disability is not a challenge to be overcome, and don't say people succeed in spite of a disability. Ordinary things and accomplishments do not become extraordinary just because they are done by a person with a disability. What is extraordinary are the lengths people with disabilities have to go through and the barriers they have to overcome to do the most ordinary things.
Use handicap to refer to a barrier created by people or the environment. Use disability to indicate a functional limitation that interferes with a person's mental, physical or sensory abilities, such as walking, talking, hearing and learning. For example, people with disabilities who use wheelchairs are handicapped by stairs.
Do not refer to a person as bound to or confined to a wheelchair. Wheelchairs are liberating to people with disabilities because they provide mobility.
Do not use special to mean segregated, such as separate schools or buses for people with disabilities, or to suggest a disability itself makes someone special.

Promote understanding, respect, dignity and positive outlooks.
"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." Mark Twain

What Do You Call People with Disabilities?
Friends, neighbors, coworkers, dad, grandma, Joe's sister, my big brother, our cousin, Mrs. Schneider, George, husband, wife, colleague, employee, boss, reporter, driver, dancer, mechanic, lawyer, judge, student, educator, home owner, renter, man, woman, adult, child, partner, participant, member, voter, citizen, amigo or any other word you would use for a person.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People First Language
People First Language recognizes that individuals with disabilities are - first and foremost - people. It emphasizes each person's value, individuality, dignity and capabilities. The following examples provide guidance on what terms to use and which ones are inappropriate when talking or writing about people with disabilities.

People First Language to Use Instead of Labels that Stereotype and Devalue

people/individuals with disabilities
an adult who has a disability
a child with a disability
a person

Instead of: the handicapped
the disabled

people/individuals without disabilities
typical kids

Instead of: normal people/healthy individuals
atypical kids

people with intellectual and developmental disabilities
he/she has a cognitive impairment
a person who has Down syndrome

Instead of: the mentally retarded; retarded people
he/she is retarded; the retarded
he/she's a Downs kid; a Mongoloid; a Mongol

a person who has autism

Instead of: autistic

people with a mental illness
a person who has an emotional disability
with a psychiatric illness/disability

Instead of: the mentally ill; the emotionally disturbed
is insane; crazy; demented; psycho
a maniac; lunatic

a person who has a learning disability

Instead of: he/she is learning disabled

a person who is deaf
he/she has a hearing impairment/loss
a man/woman who is hard of hearing

Instead of: the deaf

person who is deaf and cannot speak
who has a speech disorder
uses a communication device
uses synthetic speech

Instead of: is deaf and dumb
mute

a person who is blind
a person who has a visual impairment
man/woman who has low vision

Instead of: the blind

a person who has epilepsy
people with a seizure disorder

Instead of: an epileptic
a victim of epilepsy

a person who uses a wheelchair
people who have a mobility impairment
a person who walks with crutches

Instead of: a person who is wheelchair bound
a person who is confined to a wheelchair
a cripple

a person who has quadriplegia
people with paraplegia

Instead of: a quadriplegic
the paraplegic

he/she is of small or short stature
a dwarf or midget

he/she has a congenital disability

Instead of: he/she has a birth defect

accessible buses, bathrooms, etc.
reserved parking for people with disabilities

Instead of: handicapped buses, bathrooms, hotel rooms, etc.
handicapped parking

What Do You Call People with Disabilities?
Men, women, boys, girls, students, mom, Sue's brother, Mr. Smith, Rosita, a neighbor, employer, coworker, customer, chef, teacher, scientist, athlete, adults, children tourists, retirees, actors, comedians, musicians, blondes, brunettes, SCUBA divers, computer operators, individuals, members, leaders, people, voters, Texans, friends or any other word you would use for a person.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:31 PM   #175
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Member Photo Albums

I love this post FA...
I know for a fact hat my momma was a big poopie liar head when she told me to "ignore" asshats.

Sticks and stones may break your bones, but words can never hurt you.

W-H-A-T-E-V-E-R!

It's not true! Words - and particularly, the energy forms transmitted through those words - CAN hurt a person, for longer and for much, much worse than sticks and stones ever could.

The broken bones heal, the cut in the head from the stone becomes a scar over time, but unless you know what you are doing, a single word can RUIN a person's entire life, and not just that, can ruin the lives of others they might touch in turn.

Here is why.

We all have an energy body, whether we know this or not, and whether we like this to be true, or not.

This energy body is obviously made from energy, and sticks and stones cannot hurt this energy body, they can't even touch it - they would woosh right through it, like you would see with a ghost.

However!

The energy behind a word that is thrown at the energy body can and does HIT the energy body, hard, and it can cause energy injuries there.

And it does.

I don't know any person alive who hasn't been hurt by words more than we can even say.

"You're ugly!"
"I don't love you any more!"
"Get out of here!"
"You're fired!"
"You are a loser!"
"I hate you!"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #176
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Being difrentlyabled has been a chalenge for me big time since I reinjured my back in 2007.Till then I pretty much did what I wanted even tho it was a little diffrent in how I did it before.Normal ppl at first just gave me the hurry up and get moveing look,my reply has been yall keep going I will get there about the same as u.Then I reinjurd the mess and have messd up the nerves in my back that controle my left side from the mid back to my foot,somedays im real good then I relaps cause I over do then the gimpy walk is back till it works itself out.I have another dr.s appointment on the 28th of next month with the docs to deside what to do about this,I have been waithing to have this appointment for a long time as its taken 3 more months to see them after trying for the last two years to get to this point.My situation now is I have goten a job finaly at a local hospital (desk job) thrue the Aunda group and they have a rule about missing four days of work in a row..if I do I may lose my position at work.Also I have been going threw rehab wich has desides I prolly wont need surgery bit some other treatment for keeping me on my feet and working..I hope.My bigest thing at the moment im on the down side of a flair up but is geting better daily even if I still have some pain that a pain patch dose a pretty good job of helping even tho it dosent do a thing about my creeky squeeky joints when I stand up and take the first fue steps (5 or 10) its like everything pinches at onece..this wont effect my job performance but moblity to some degree.For the most part I have been giveing them the sore body weekend warrior thing of wich they have havent had a prob with.They know im disabled in some way but werent allowed by law to ask me about and I didnt have to tell either..my deffness is well known cause I wear aids.Sofar all ive been doing is takeing it one day at the time since last thurdsay when I started orentation and all the pre job stuff I slso got paid for wich is nice to know.I just hope the docs dont sugest I do anything that will cause me a prob with this job.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #177
Lady Pamela

How Do You Identify?:
A Lady..Femme..Free Spirit with a touch of survivalist woman in me.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Spiritual Warrior..She Ra..Baby Doll, or anything close..ha!
Relationship Status:
In perfect love and perfect trust I believe that will be directed..for now Just friends in my life.

1 Highscore

Location: Live in Utah but take trips to Arkansas. Plan to move there eventually.
Thanked 5,939 Times in 1,609 Posts
Lady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST Reputation
Default Flying my Freak Flag high!

I'm backkkk..lol

I will not mention any names but I stopped frequenting the site due to some people on here who didn't understand my diffrent abilities. I felt put asisde by being corrected and constantly told I was spelling things wrong. Also it was mentioned I sure have alot of times I get hurt.

Soooo....I am back and I will better explain how I Roll...smiles
In short of course...lol

I have a disorder that creates the blood to pool to the bottom part of my body..which starves my brain, heart and other organs from recieving blood and oxygen.

This creates moments of slow thought process "which I deal with and laugh at" and also makes me pass out or fall alot. Thus why I get hurt alot. "Also something I get up and laugh at myself for. After the fact that is."

It also creates a short term memory issue at times which comes back when I lay down or when I am not having a flare.

It sometimes makes me spell things wrong or leave out letters as well. This is something I used to pride myself in but now I simply just have to correct my mistakes when I see them. And again add it to the list of things to laugh at.

Along with this I have Fibromyalgia which holds alot of the same symptoms.
Except for pain is associated with it at times.
I have learn't to handle both well but others often don't understand why I do what I do.

I work hard at keeping stress under tabs because this can set both off.

I know I don't have to explain myself to anyone here but perhaps next time I type something wrong or forget something common...maybe this will help to show why and it won't be an issue anymore for others.

Just because one doesn't spell right or remember on the mark..does not make them stupid....They may come back one day in a post...and blow your mind with what they know and have hidden...Just saying

SMILES...Have a nice day.

When negative thoughts come to mind,
Let them die stillborn.
Speak and do posotive in any situation,
And watch your dreams grow and flurish.
If you can't say anything posotive, Zip it up.
Do not give birth to that which you do not want to see grow.
See it, Believe it, Own it, Have it!
~*~ Lady Pamela ~*~
Lady Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lady Pamela For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2010, 03:23 PM   #178
FeminineAllure

How Do You Identify?:
Female
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

7 Highscores

Member Photo Albums
Smile

Welcome back Lady Pamela!

I have fibromyalgia and bipolar and possibly MS. My memory is not good as well.
It is not your spelling I have ever noticed but the depth of your posts and what you have to share.
People jump to conclusions too often I feel. There is a real person behind the keyboard with real feelings and a personal history that people online are not always aware of that make up the whole person.
We have some good days and some not so good. That goes for everybody not just those that are differently abled.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #179
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Member Photo Albums

Lady Pamela? I'm jumping all over you and giving you a giant hug.

In this thread you get to forget your name, spell everything you can wrong, and forget whey you came in here in the first place.

When I say "Fly Your Freak Flag High" I mean that it is the unique things about you that you should be proudest of here. You are not alone.

As the D/A Ambassador, you come and tell me immediately if someone mocks you or tries to make you feel small. You are ten feet tall here and as safe as a Lady can be on the internet, yanno?

The Planet works really hard to ensure that for our population. I have moderation powers. However; I will always approach a person who clearly doesn't know that what they are saying is like opening the door of a yoga center and letting loose a pack rabid dogs.

Mind you I cannot force a person to possess empathy or compassion. As we come out of the shadows of the differently abled, the wolves are going to follow too. I'd love to say ignore them but we know that is not possible. So tell one of us and we shall shield you.

Fibromyalgia flare ups are bad enough without over thinking what you need to talk about.

In my perfect world, once I know something I say is disparaging to another human being? I simply won't say it. Not out o censorshipn. Rather, out of love.

In fact, I'd love to say and type more but I am just too ill today. Please don' say away Lady Pamela. You com right on in here, spell bad, forget my name and what day it is and let the blood pool wherever you wan.

Sorry, I'm just to high temped to continue. Please keep coming here. You are wanted here and welcomed and loved. Oh, and my hospital now has the wi-fi.

I
am
a
little off.

So hugs, kissed,and stuff. See you all soon.

If I don't nap i will end up either shooting Sara Maclauhhlin ot marry Michael Vick.

hold me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #180
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

I'm one of the worst spellers around. My wife can attest to that, so don't worry about if you get the words mixed up, spelled wrong or just dropped altogether. WE understand you. It's the same crap from the same ones who have issues with themselves. It is their problem not yours.

The power of the report button is there for a reason, so you can still have your voice, it is just as important as anyone else's.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post: