Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 12-01-2009, 06:28 AM   #1
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,179 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default World AIDS Day, December 1st

Here is a > > Valuable Link < < for this horrible pandemic.

Also, if You'd like to remember someone we have lost to this dreadful disease, feel free to honor their memory here.

The first time I was touched by AIDS was when my dear friend Bob was diagnosed. He went pretty quickly, it felt like to me. But I really think he chose not to tell us until there was no hiding it. Bob called me by my full name, loved my girls like they were his, gave me the color combination for my hair (which I use to this day) and was a total fanatic about The Broadway Musical. I was honored to have been asked to be by his side when he crossed over and again when I sang at his memorial service. He asked for "Somewhere" from West Side Story. Since then, I have lost many friends to AIDS, but none touched me quite like Bob.

I miss You, Roberto Jorge.....<smile>
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2009, 06:42 AM   #2
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Thanked 1,617 Times in 633 Posts
Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

Top rated AIDS charities from charitywatch.org:

American Social Health Association B+
Bailey House (formerly AIDS Resource Center) B
Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation A–
Foundation for AIDS Research (formerly AMFAR) B+
Gay Men's Health Crisis A–

For those who can give this year...

Groups included on the Top-Rated list generally spend 75% or more of their budgets on programs, spend $25 or less to raise $100 in public support, do not hold excessive assets in reserve, and receive "open-book" status for disclosure of basic financial information and documents.

Thank You Diva.
Cyclopea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cyclopea For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2009, 07:36 AM   #3
Pixie

How Do You Identify?:
Equal Opportunity Friend
Preferred Pronoun?:
Girl
Relationship Status:
in service

Thanked 4,104 Times in 1,332 Posts
Pixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST ReputationPixie Has the BEST Reputation

Thank you Diva dear for this thread.

I have not had anyone truly die yet from AIDS but I have a few close friends fighting it as we speak. The closest to me is Ajay, someone who has been as family. Showing me hope in myself, giving me life. His diagnosis came as a surprise to him and all of us. And since, he has in theory lost his life. I know that I want nothing more then to give him hope, purpose, and joy for each day. I try to smother him gently with love so he knows he isn't alone. For each day we wake up it is meant to live and enjoy, to the fullest. My thoughts are with him, and all who have been affected by this disease.

-Pixie-

Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pixie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:
counting freckles slowly under Her direction!!!

Thanked 12,558 Times in 2,992 Posts
weatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks to Dive who is always so thoughtful. Her attention to others is admirable!!
Thanks to all who post here.

Thanks Monroe for all the great guidance you gave me in my youth. You took a chance on at 16 by giving me a job on the weekends picking up glasses in the club so I would not feel so alone and get into anymore trouble than I already was into. You influenced me and your Mom nurtured me. I honor you both. Part of me is who I am because of you.

Trixy, you left this earth way too soon, but not without leaving a lasting impression. There are no guys that can wear a big pink upside down triangle necklace like you. Thanks for giving me a skill so that I could make a better living for myself when I was away at college. You were my friend and mentor. I honor you.

Hey Steve! Highschool buddy. You went way to soon. When I see your Mom around town she never forgets me, even though my appearance has changed so much. She always brings up those fake ID's we made in highschool. Oy Vey she was pissed. Einstein a go go and all the dancing we did. On my worst days I feel your prsence. You told me you'd always be there. Thanks for keeping your word!!

You were my first Gays,
You will be my last Gays!
Until we meet again!
Cheers Boys!!
weatherboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to weatherboi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2009, 11:10 PM   #5
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Thanked 1,617 Times in 633 Posts
Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

Great posts...
Thank you.
Cyclopea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:12 AM   #6
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation
Default qu

as I say every year and write on every signature panel at every AIDS Memorial Quilt display

well boys and girls here we are again

I want all my friends back

remember their names
Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #7
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:

weatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputation
Exclamation Dec 1st is coming up so mark your hearts and calenders!!!

Hey Folks!!!
Bump!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherboi View Post
Thanks to Dive who is always so thoughtful. Her attention to others is admirable!!
Thanks to all who post here.

Thanks Monroe for all the great guidance you gave me in my youth. You took a chance on at 16 by giving me a job on the weekends picking up glasses in the club so I would not feel so alone and get into anymore trouble than I already was into. You influenced me and your Mom nurtured me. I honor you both. Part of me is who I am because of you.

Trixy, you left this earth way too soon, but not without leaving a lasting impression. There are no guys that can wear a big pink upside down triangle necklace like you. Thanks for giving me a skill so that I could make a better living for myself when I was away at college. You were my friend and mentor. I honor you.

Hey Steve! Highschool buddy. You went way to soon. When I see your Mom around town she never forgets me, even though my appearance has changed so much. She always brings up those fake ID's we made in highschool. Oy Vey she was pissed. Einstein a go go and all the dancing we did. On my worst days I feel your prsence. You told me you'd always be there. Thanks for keeping your word!!

You were my first Gays,
You will be my last Gays!
Until we meet again!
Cheers Boys!!
The Following User Says Thank You to weatherboi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #8
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:

Exclamation

bump bump bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherboi View Post
Hey Folks!!!
Bump!!!
Old 11-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #9
diamondrose

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,895 Times in 923 Posts
diamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputation

I'v had and known a few people in my life that struggled with AIDS and passed away. Also, some of my close friends have lost their siblings to AIDS.
diamondrose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to diamondrose For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2010, 11:49 PM   #10
nowandthen

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
S/he
Relationship Status:
In a realationship with my PhD. Dissertation work for the next 3 years

nowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputation
Default I want my friends back!

Allyson H,Dean,Carl C,Charlie D,Gentry C, Marc S,Trex,Ron,Paul,George,Bill, Carlos, Charles H (Chas),Marc,Shane,Alf, Joel,Pat and Her Husband,Jim L,Chris C,Cowboy Tom, Micheal N, Rick,Larry, (Tim,Daniel,Kenny, my roommates 82),Daniel,Larry B, Daniel,Steven K,David S, Ken, Keith( who gave me the best Bubble bath ever),Patrick H and Larry L (Owners of Tugs),Randi, Chrystal Lane, Stephen C, Daniel Ray, Bryon, Jim N, George,Sidney F, Geoffrey Chew,Fergie, Ron

" It's a Kind of testing, The kind of testing that spiritual warriors need in order to awaken their Heart" PC
nowandthen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nowandthen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2010, 06:22 AM   #11
rlin

How Do You Identify?:
human

Thanked 1,190 Times in 451 Posts
rlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputation
Default from celebrations of yesterday...

a wonderful set of pics showing how some of the world showed up...

rlin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rlin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2011, 05:54 AM   #12
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:

Default WORLD AIDS DAY!!!

Today is a day to remember!!!
My eyes will remain full and my heart will beat heavier!!!

Old 12-01-2011, 05:57 AM   #13
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:

Default World AIDS Day 2011: Getting To Zero

http://lawrenceville.patch.com/artic...-zero-a279ab2e

On the first of December, World AIDS Day is celebrated. This day is an opportunity for people to unite in the fight against HIV/AIDS, to remember those who have died of the disease and to celebrate accomplishments, such as increased access to treatment and prevention services.

Today, despite advances in HIV treatment and in laws designed to protect those living with HIV; many people do not know the facts about how to protect themselves and others from HIV or about the stigma and discrimination that remain a reality for many people living with HIV. World AIDS Day is an important reminder to individuals and governments that HIV has not gone away – there is still a vital need to raise money, increase awareness, fight prejudice and improve education.

The theme for World AIDS Day 2011 is "Getting to Zero." After 30 years of the global fight against HIV/AIDS, this year the focus is on achieving 3 targets: Zero new HIV infections. Zero discrimination. Zero AIDS-related deaths.

Zero New HIV Infections

It is estimated that 33.3 million people have HIV worldwide, with 1.2 million persons who are living with HIV in the United States, according to the Center of Disease Control (CDC) estimates. This number is expected to continue to increase over time, as advances in treatments prolong the lives of those who are infected and more people become infected with HIV each year. Despite increases in the total number of people in the U.S. living with HIV infection in recent years, the annual number of new HIV infections has remained relatively stable. However, new infections continue at far too high of a level, with approximately 50,000 Americans becoming infected with HIV each year. Worldwide, the rate of new infections, or incidence, has decreased. In 33 countries, the incidence has decreased more than 25 percent since 2001, including countries in the hardest hit areas of sub-Saharan Africa.

The CDC estimates that one in five people living with HIV in the U.S. are unaware of their infection. This highlights the importance of reaching all infected individuals with HIV testing and prevention services. HIV can be transmitted in three main ways: sexual transmission; transmission through blood; and mother-to-child transmission. These three routes of transmission work in tandem to affect segments of the population. The number of infections resulting from each route will vary greatly between countries and population groups. HIV counseling and testing are fundamental for HIV prevention, as is access to essential commodities such as condoms or sterile injecting equipment.

Zero Discrimination

According to UN Secretary-General Ban Ki Moon, "Stigma remains the single most important barrier to public action. It is a main reason why too many people are afraid to see a doctor to determine whether they have the disease, or to seek treatment if so. It helps make AIDS the silent killer, because people fear the social disgrace of speaking about it, or taking easily available precautions. Stigma is a chief reason why the AIDS epidemic continues to devastate societies around the world."

Discrimination against those infected with HIV/AIDS includes both the fear of getting the disease and also negative assumptions about people who are infected. AIDS-related stigma has had a profound effect on the epidemic’s course. The World Health Organization cites fear of stigma and discrimination as the main reason why people are reluctant to be tested, to disclose their HIV status or to take antiretroviral drugs.

"We can fight stigma. Enlightened laws and policies are key. But it begins with openness, the courage to speak out. Schools should teach respect and understanding. Religious leaders should preach tolerance. The media should condemn prejudice and use its influence to advance social change, from securing legal protections to ensuring access to health care." Ban Ki-moon, Secretary-General of the United Nations.

Zero AIDS Related Deaths

More than 25 million people between 1981 and 2007 have died from the virus worldwide, making it one of the most destructive pandemics in history. In the US, nearly 594,500 people with AIDS in the US have died since the epidemic began.

The goal of ‘Zero AIDS Related Deaths’ signifies an increased access to available treatments for all those infected. Currently, only one third of the 15 million people living with HIV worldwide who are in need of life long treatment are receiving it. Universal access to antiretroviral treatments for those living with HIV will not only decrease the number of AIDS related deaths, but will increase the quality of life among those infected and decrease transmission.

World AIDS Day is an opportunity for all of us to learn the facts about HIV. By increasing the understanding of how HIV is transmitted, how it can be prevented, and the reality of living with HIV today-we can use this knowledge to take care of our own health and the health of others.

For more facts about HIV/AIDS and where to get tested, please visit http://www.cdc.gov/hiv.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:28 AM   #14
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,791 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

In memory of David, who died in 1985 and his lover Barry, who died a year later of AIDS. Virtually their entire circle of friends died within those two years. All lived in the Silverlake area of LA.

And for all those I did not know personally.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post: