Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 10-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
pynkkameleon

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Girly ones
Relationship Status:
Riding off into the sunset with my Cowboi

pynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputationpynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputationpynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputationpynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputationpynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputationpynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputationpynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputationpynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputationpynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputationpynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputationpynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputation
Default Colonoscopy "Adventure" Time

I admit that this isn't the most pleasant of topics. After all the thought of having this procedure sounds worse (to me) than a trip to the dentist, the gyno and having a token mammogram thrown in at the end of the day.

With that said, I know the importance of having one done, particularly when you are over 50 or at risk due to family history and/or medical issues that warrant it.

This is probably a good time to bring it up anyway since we are bombarded with pink everywhere, reminding us to have those boobs squished for our annual mammograms. It seems to me that if we are going to be humiliated (once again, this is how it feels for ME), what better time to schedule a routine colonoscopy? One of those "lets get get it all done and over with at the same time as the mammo, so that we can bury it in the back of our minds for the next year" kind of things.

I should add that my initial reason for bringing this up is because I am scheduled for my very first, non routine procedure next week and I am absolutely dreading it. I can do the ta-ta mashing thing, although I don't have to anymore because I no longer have those. As a Femme, I have to admit that I have really struggled with the loss of them. Mostly a body image, intimacy, loss of femininity etc. issue but also an "OMG!! I can't wear any of my cute and sexy low cut, cleavage popping shirts anymore. What can I say? I admit that I am a bit of a vain creature and as much as I loved all of my sexy clothes, somehow wearing tops that plunge down to my bellybutton aren't quite as sexy for me. Anyway, my cancer and subsequent mastectomy aren't the purpose of this thread. I just threw some background in there to explain a teeny bit of my fear of having this done since the purpose is to rule out cancer spread.

What I want to know is, for those of you that have had this procedure done, how did you prepare yourself mentally for this? To be honest, I'm not certain of what mortifies me more? Having a scope slipped into my ass or the subsequent passing of gas that will commence afterwards. I am a bit of a prude in the tooting department. I do NOT pass gas in front of anyone. I don't care how long I have been with someone. I do not do it. I guess that will be changing next week though. As for the other, I love a bit of anal (I know, TMI! but this is not the kind of foreplay that's on this girls wishlist.

I would love to hear of personal stories, adventures and whatnot. I am a humor whore so if you have a little bit of that to throw in, all the better. It is far and above my best coping mechanism no matter what comes my way. I realize that it is a very personal topic but it is also one that we shouldn't bury under the rug because it truly is an important part of monitoring and being proactive about our health. I am hoping that this subject will bring responses from those that are all across the gender spectrum as well as some perspective from those of you that are a part of the medical community. I also hope that maybe, just maybe, it will prompt some who may be avoiding having this done to simply just go and get the damn thing done and over with.

So for now, I will take my ass (pun intended) off the podium and hope that this thread will bring some responses. If nothing else, maybe you will take pity on my girly sense of pride and make this a wee bit less scary for me.

Don't define your world in black and white..

There is so much hiding amongst the greys

❤❤❤❤❤
pynkkameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pynkkameleon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Thanked 14,359 Times in 2,670 Posts
Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation

I had a colonoscopy about two months after I turned 50.

My insurance company offered a little bribe and

I'd heard that my ex had colon cancer.

Different doctors recommend different ways to clean out your kishkes.

I had to stop eating at a certain time and

My doctor prescribed laxative pills and

I had to drink gallons of the saltiest soda you can imagine.

Pete was upstairs, but

I watched Tipping the Velvet and dozed off and on all night.

Your intestines must be cleaned out so the doctor can see every corner.

If you don't get your guts squeaky clean,

You will have to drink the salty soda again.

I didn't feel much of what happened during the colonoscopy, because

I was given a nice tranquilizer but

There is one moment when the scope is turning a corner, and

It hurt like hell.

Afterwards I asked Pete to take me out for breakfast and

I fell asleep in the car on the way home.
Chancie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
Parker
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Butch. Lesbian. Dyke. Woman. Female.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, of course!
Relationship Status:
Content

Thanked 11,730 Times in 2,432 Posts
Parker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST Reputation

I hated having mine (at least 2 that I remember) - because of what you said: the passing of gas in front of strangers.

But, if you are sedated, which I HIGHLY recommend that you are, you wont even know you are doing it and believe me when I tell you, they are used to it -- not only have I had a couple of these done to me, but when I was a hospital corpsman in the Navy many years ago, I worked a stint in the minor surgery dept and that's where they did colonoscopies and I assisted with them - it is completely normal to toot up the room. I know that isnt a great comfort and I feel you on it, but try to remind yourself of that when you are there.

The reason why I recommend the sedation (they dont knock you out, you are just more relaxed) is because of how far up they need to go - it is so uncomfortable and so crampy (feels kinda like a bad case of constipation to me) that the 2 times I did it, they couldnt go up as far as they wanted because I was in so much distress; and I wasnt the one who stopped them - they had a nurse up near me talking me through it and she could see the distress on my face so she told the doc and they stopped.

The first time I had one, I was all "how bad can this really be?" lol - and the second time I had one, I just forgot what it was like to have one and didnt get the sedation, but from now on, I will so they can go up as far as they need to. I think I actually told them to put in my medical record that the next one willbe under sedation so I dont forget! lol

Also, if you dont get sedated and are trying not to let loose with the farts, it could make it harder for them to advance the scope (all the clenching), which will make it both harder on you and last longer.

Those are the 2 best things I can tell another colonoscopy vict-err patient -- say yes to sedation and go ahead and let loose with the toots, no matter how embarrassing it is -- all that air and water going up there HAS to come back out eventually!

Good luck and I hope you get good results and are ok.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Parker For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch (Silver Fox) Dom Daddi
Preferred Pronoun?:
50 Shades of Clay Darker & Deeper
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Thanked 31,698 Times in 7,720 Posts
clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Thank you for being so brave and for sharing your thoughts!!
Having just had my THIRD one in less than a year, I am well versed on these!
Being a Medical Professional, I evaded having these per my PCP's suggestions for the last 10 years.
Last Fall I was referred to a Gynecological Oncologist for some precancerous issues! Before I even saw her, she ordered a colonoscopy..
I was found to have Invasive Adenocarcinoma When I went to see the Gynie Oncol. I asked why did she order that test, but let her know just how appreciative of her doing so I was! My initial surgery was to be with the Robotic Arm and avoid an Exploratory Laparoscopy!
But with the cancer being found, I was referred to a Surgical Oncologist and a plan of action was determined. I was scheduled for a DOUBLE major abdominal surgery ASAP! The double surgeries were to avoid having general anesthesia a second time.
The initial scope the doc used indigo tattoo ink and a metal clip was attached to the tumor. The tattoo was placed at the proximal (closest) and distal (fartherest) margins of said tumor. The clip was a marker. Both these were for Xray visuals and for the surgeon when I was opened up. These markers also let the surgeon know once inside if the tumor was spread any beyond initial findings.
Having this tumor found so very early on and with no further spread, I was truly blessed. I was able to avoid any chemo and radiation! I told my doctor I was going to make cancer my bitch! She loved that!!! My surgeon told me I had dodged a major bullet, as colon cancer is the SECOND leading cause of cancer deaths.
I wish we did pay more attention to the other cancers! I am looking for a navy blue ribbon to wear denoting my Colon Cancer. I AM a survivor! I get tested every 3 months, and will for life now, BUT I happily do so!!!! My prognosis is 59% for a 5 year survival from this kind of cancer!!!
My biggest "concern" was that damn prep. It is polyethylene glycol..generic for Miralax 238G. It leaves a nasty, slimy residue in your mouth for a while...lol.
I wasn't ever concerned about my arse being exposed, the insertion of the camera, nor the "gas". You will get a mild amnesiac (Propofol) and sometimes a dose of Versed...so you won't know or remember much else...I HATE that nasty Prep! lol First time I had a half a gallon, second time I had to do a bottle of Mag Citrate 2 days before, clear liquids, and day before clear liquids, a Dulcolax tab followed by a half gallon of PEG....you drink 8 oz, every 20 minutes followed by a glass of water after each...arrgghhhh. The prep was salty. THIS time, I mixed the Miralax in a 64 oz. jug of Orange Gatorade! You can't eat or drink anything Purple or Red prior to these scopes...lol.....and the gatorade made it much more palatable. Plus my minerals and electrolytes didn't get so depleted!!
Pynk, I send you a big hug and I am with you in spirit my beautiful friend! I can understand your feelings/thoughts on this procedure. For me, I went down to the beach, and just "lost" myself and watched the amazing dolphins. I kept my surroundings only in a positive light, and listened to music. I can psych myself into my zen place like that, and do I did it for surgery and for my scope a few days ago. Having had my third one recently, it is still "worrisome" and afterwards, you say..."this was easier than I thought"..
I, too, did not want to pass gas in public BUT I tell you what, there will be many folks there doing just that. They insufflate the colon to see better...all the tiny folds, creases, and crannies...and you will be bloated and gassy....so passing it is helpful....pride be damned...lol
You can search deep inside to find that peaceful place for you...it is different for all of us..and I send you much love, my beautiful friend!!!
I love you, Pynk!!! and am always here for you!!! May you be at peace and have good results....Clay
BTW I have my mammos yearly and even though I am now minus that uterus, I still have to get yearly vag. cuff pap tests...go figure....lol
Old 10-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
pynkkameleon

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Girly ones
Relationship Status:

pynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputationpynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputationpynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputationpynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputationpynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputationpynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputationpynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputationpynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputationpynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputationpynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputationpynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputation
Default At little more at ease now...

Whew! I was afraid that nobody would reply. Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing your experiences!

I have to go get my twerplets on the bus but I will return shortly to touch on a few things and maybe ask another question or two?

❤❤❤❤❤
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pynkkameleon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I just can't imagine doing an endoscopy without a mild anesthesia. Versed helps you to relax and the Propofol is relatively safe and an amnesiac...it is a milky color and as a Nurse, we always called it "milk of amnesia".... even doing this kind of a procedure with a patient "unrelaxed" and "unaware" is beyond my comprehension...helllooooo...lol...
Old 10-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

I had one done about eight years ago,they knocked me out and did the thing so I didnt remember a thing other than greasy butt from lube.I know tmi..I havent had one sence but know I should.My Doc hassels me about getting test done and I do what needs doing but it takes a team of wild horses to get me actualy IN the Doctors office.Haveing been in the medical profesion years ago I am aware of what goes on.Yuck!
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Member Photo Albums
Default For all of us who are survivors....

Old 10-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
pynkkameleon

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Girly ones
Relationship Status:

I wasn't so excited to see the word "pain" associated with it. It is my hope that I will be as knocked out as one can be and won't feel or remember a thing. As far as I know, I will be fully put under for the procedure. Especially since it will take longer than the average routine one. Did anyone else experience pain, either during or afterwards? I assume that there will gas pains once all is said and done but I sure don't like the thought of butt pain in the middle of everything as well.

I have heard from others that the preliminary results are given immediately after waking up. Has that been others experience as well? I really dislike the idea of coming home to wait and wait to hear.

The whole colon cleanse thing sounds pretty wretched as well. I picked up my lovely Rx of colon blow concoction the other day. The only consolation there is that I might feel a bit better after cleaning out my system and might get lucky and lose a pound or two.

My 21 year old daughter will be my escort home from the hospital. We live 4 hours away from where my newly appointed Gastro is located so I expect a long trip home. Especially since I have this recurring nightmare that she will see it as a humorous way to get back at me for all of the past years of punishments and teasing that I forced her to endure and I'll find video going viral on YouTube. Not to mention that I have a few particularly sadistic friends whom I could easily see bribing her to do just that. How do I dare sleep on that home with that prospect lurking in my mind..? LOL

I thank you all for your helpful responses and good thoughts. I'll greedily take all of the positive energy that I can get.

And Clay.. I adore you more than you will ever know. You have been a constant source of support, encouragement and friendship since the very first time that we "met" on here. I love our thought provoking and giggle sessions over the phone and you truly are one of my BFF's. We've both had our share of battles but look at us both going strong. You are a hero to me.

❤❤❤❤❤
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pynkkameleon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
SF_Boi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Human
Relationship Status:
Ask Me

SF_Boi Has the BEST ReputationSF_Boi Has the BEST ReputationSF_Boi Has the BEST ReputationSF_Boi Has the BEST ReputationSF_Boi Has the BEST ReputationSF_Boi Has the BEST ReputationSF_Boi Has the BEST ReputationSF_Boi Has the BEST ReputationSF_Boi Has the BEST ReputationSF_Boi Has the BEST ReputationSF_Boi Has the BEST Reputation
Default Colonoscopy

I had one when I turned 50, but not because I turned 50. I got bit by a dog, I didn't go to the doctors and got an infection. The doctor put me on antibiotics and I had a horrible reaction to the antibiotics. So after one month with the "quick step" the doctor sent me in for the above.

To tell you the truth, I didn't feel a thing! They gave me great drugs! They went in did what they had to do and I was out in approximately 20 minutes. The preparation for the procedure entailed a gallon of a nasty tasting liquid and I had to stop eating at an early time.

Have someone there that you trust to get all the details of the results of the procedure. You will not remember a thing she/he says after everything is done.

No worries, everything will be fine! We'll be sending great thoughts your way.
SF_Boi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SF_Boi For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #11
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 8,925 Times in 1,834 Posts
Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

Even though I was only 38 at the time, I had my first colonoscopy just last October. The prep was NOT fun, but it wasn't nearly as terrible as I thought it would be. I plowed right through the jug of nastiness and found that pouring it over ice made it much more palatable. I would literally put it in my mouth and out it would come from the other end. It's like a good intestinal roto-rooter'ing.

I was under for the entire procedure so I have no idea about the excessive farting. Although, knowing me the whole room was probably ready to float away by the time they got done.

I was super sleepy that afternoon but not in any discomfort whatsoever. They did find several pre-cancerous noduals, but I was told they can remain in the pre-cancerous stage for many decades before morphing into actual colon cancer. I have to go in every year for the next five years to get checked and if everything stays the same they will reduce check-ups to once every five years.

The whole process started nearly two years ago with a uterine cancer diagnosis that resulted in a hysterectomy followed by the removal of my appendix and right ovary. My appendix was adhered to my colon by a mucus filled adenoma that is often associated with colon cancer. Hence the colonoscopy.

I have always wanted a large family and have experienced the occasional pang of sorrow and sadness over not being able to physically have any more children. However, I don't know that could I still have them I would choose to do so. Mine are so big now that it would be like starting over. And there is always adoption should the urge manifest into a wanton reality.
Novelafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #12
pynkkameleon

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Girly ones
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelafemme View Post
Even though I was only 38 at the time, I had my first colonoscopy just last October. The prep was NOT fun, but it wasn't nearly as terrible as I thought it would be. I plowed right through the jug of nastiness and found that pouring it over ice made it much more palatable. I would literally put it in my mouth and out it would come from the other end. It's like a good intestinal roto-rooter'ing.

I was under for the entire procedure so I have no idea about the excessive farting. Although, knowing me the whole room was probably ready to float away by the time they got done.

I was super sleepy that afternoon but not in any discomfort whatsoever. They did find several pre-cancerous noduals, but I was told they can remain in the pre-cancerous stage for many decades before morphing into actual colon cancer. I have to go in every year for the next five years to get checked and if everything stays the same they will reduce check-ups to once every five years.

The whole process started nearly two years ago with a uterine cancer diagnosis that resulted in a hysterectomy followed by the removal of my appendix and right ovary. My appendix was adhered to my colon by a mucus filled adenoma that is often associated with colon cancer. Hence the colonoscopy.

I have always wanted a large family and have experienced the occasional pang of sorrow and sadness over not being able to physically have any more children. However, I don't know that could I still have them I would choose to do so. Mine are so big now that it would be like starting over. And there is always adoption should the urge manifest into a wanton reality.
I got a good giggle from your "room floating away" comment. It sounds as if your procedure was about as easy to prepare and recover from as one can possibly be. I can only hope for the same!

As for all of the other health issues that led you to having to have this done, I appreciate your candor and I feel for your experience. There are a lot of people that don't like to talk about their cancer scares and experiences but I for one think that it's important and the fact that you shared it means a lot.

❤❤❤❤❤
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pynkkameleon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #13
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Member Photo Albums

As far as "pain" no I didn't! There may be a mild discomfort afterward, as the rectum is "being stretched" to receive the scope BUT it is well lubed with KY Jelly.
As far as sedation, they won't use a general anesthetic. Most often a patient is given some Versed to relax the whole body and Propofol (called "milk of amnesia" (it is white, milky color and medical professionals compare it to that white milky colored Milk Of Magnesia ONLY call it "milk of amnesia"}. They will have you on a table on your left side. The anesthetist will put on an oxygen nasal cannula and begin the induction of the Propofol and you will go to twilight immediately. This medicine is really good as you will wake up rather quickly once in recovery. You will be drowsy a little, off and on. Mine wore off in 2 days. The whole procedure takes about 20 minutes to 45 minutes. Recovery is about 45 minutes or so. I felt bloated and gassy and this time I passed gas when urge hit. No one even gave me a second look or even heard it. The RR nurses are so used to it they don't even pay attention. My Gastrologist does them 2 days a week, doing at least 10 to 12 each day, so he is also used to it.

My gastrologist always tells me right then my results. When I got the initial one of having a tumor, I didn't know for 2 days it was adenocarcinoma, as the biopsy section was sent out and takes that long to get back a report. I didn't remember the doc talking to me at all the first 2 times, but the one last Thursday I knew what he said and was aware of him coming in to my recovery room. There is a tiny camera on the scope and my doc makes pics, color pics. I asked for a copy, took a note with me to the Endoscope suite to give to the Nurse there to make sure I got pics. I will take these to my Oncologists when I see them next!! It is two different hospitals.
BUT you will get results right then. Have your daughter to write down what the doc says. You can also ask for and receive a written copy of the report as soon as it is available. Tell the doc you want a copy of your dictated report as soon as available. Since your hospital is 4 hrs. away, you will probably have to call the Medical records division and get the report mailed to you. But YOUR DOC will have a report and is easiest to get a copy from.

Mix it with Orange Gatorade...64 oz. of Gatorade. I had to drink 4 oz of the gatorade plain to get the powder laxative in it. I refrigerated mine 24 hrs. be sure to shake it really well. DO NOT use a RED OR PURPLE gatorade...colors the colon and doc unable to see it clearly..

Whooohhhooo I am going to be on lookout for that You Tube...wink

And Clay.. I adore you more than you will ever know. You have been a constant source of support, encouragement and friendship since the very first time that we "met" on here. I love our thought provoking and giggle sessions over the phone and you truly are one of my BFF's. We've both had our share of battles but we both keep going strong. You are a hero to me.[/B][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/quote]

Awww Pynk: We are such kindred spirits! You are MY Hero!! You fared much worse a battle with that damn C than I did!!! Your whole outlook, your humor, your spirit..you drive me to embrace my life, my world, and to always look ahead with sunshine and smiles.
We will talk before the test and afterwards. YOU will do great..just set you rmind to stay positive and focused. I am but a call away...always...
this too shall pass and we will laugh and giggle and just be in the moment...{{{{{{{{{{{pynk}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Old 10-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #14
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation
Default Admitting to being a huge wuss....

I've had a colonoscopy due to having IBS several years ago.

How did i deal with it mentally? I'll be very honest....not good. I dreaded it horribly. So bad that i rescheduled it twice. Finally my doc called and basically said "DO IT".

I cried about it. I'm a medical person and constantly talk people into getting tests done that are needed. But when it comes to my veins and my innards it's a whole different ballgame.

The worst part of it, for me, was the prep. It was gross and it was difficult. But, like so many things in life, it passed (literally) and was over quickly.

The procedure was a piece of cake. I remember them telling me to lie on my side and i was cracking jokes begging them to use a "barbie size hose". I saw the nurse start the cocktail into my veins which included Versed and then...lights out.

Next thing i knew it was over and they were waking me up to tell me all was well. I was starving and went out to eat right after leaving. Still a little groggy it was good times. I remember being so freaking relieved because i had dreaded it so very bad. I promise you, it wasn't bad at all. And to be frank, i wasn't even sore. It was like it never happened.

I will not be scared next time and i will not put it off. Again the worst of it for me was the night before drinking the yuk that cleans you out.

The rest was easy.

I commend you for doing this and making this thread. Sometimes it is not easy to discuss things like this. But, it is so, SO important.

You will do just fine. I cry when someone draws my blood i'm such a wuss. If i can do it...anyone can.
Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #15
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

I've had 3 in 3 years. The most draining is the night before, the "prep". Oy' I'm usually starving too much to pay attention to much else. You won't feel a thing, and you may not remember it at all. Enjoy the drug and don't fret.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #16
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,103 Posts
tapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputation

Don't bother asking if you can just get a semi-colonoscopy. They laughed at me.
tapu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tapu For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #17
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

I used Propel the water that is more of a sports drink than anything, 4 lax tabs and voila' clean as a whistle. One must drink 64oz of the stuff, and you will never drink it again. But it is not as bad as the other stuff on the market. You don't need a script for it.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #18
skeeter_01

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey you!
Relationship Status:
Sleeping single in a double bed..

skeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputation

i've had 2..the first when i turned 50...and the second this last march....polups were found in both and they just sniped them out! they gave me verised...(not sure how to spell it)...a medicine that they put in the IV...supposedly you're still awake but you have no memory of the procedure..couldn't prove it by me...i don't remember a THING~!! ....i LOVE verised!!...LoL!!

next week i'm having my second endoscopy since march (they put a scope in i GUESS my nose and take a look into my stomach...been having tummy troubles...not too happy about it especially since it's on my birthday...but once again...gimme that magic drug!!

skeet

Texting while driving is a real KILLER!!!

‎"It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together...but it takes only one nut to scatter them all over the highway..."
Jeff PARAMEDIC
skeeter_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skeeter_01 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #19
deathbypoem

How Do You Identify?:
Poetically versed to breathe only truth and bleed certainty
Preferred Pronoun?:
Kane
Relationship Status:
Married to Chefnaction

Thanked 4,738 Times in 1,583 Posts
deathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputation
Red face

Unfortunately, I too am one that had a Colonoscopy done last year. I am 35. Have had many gastro issues and I would have to agree with the lot of folks here that the prepping is the worst. They asked me what flavor I wanted in hopes that if I picked Lemon that it would taste like sprite. Well, it smelled like pinesol. I should of used a otc laxative lol. The procedure is nothing, if you are sedated. I was. Thank god.. The other part that did bother me , was there was a room full of medical students along w/ the doctor. A total of 8 people. I said you got like 2 mins to knock me out, because I feel vulnerable!! The dude came in and administered the med, and bam I was out. Best wishes to you!! it will be ok Good luck

I need your grace
To remind me
To find my own
deathbypoem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deathbypoem For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #20
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,892 Times in 5,770 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pynkkameleon View Post
I wasn't so excited to see the word "pain" associated with it. It is my hope that I will be as knocked out as one can be and won't feel or remember a thing. As far as I know, I will be fully put under for the procedure. Especially since it will take longer than the average routine one. Did anyone else experience pain, either during or afterwards? I assume that there will gas pains once all is said and done but I sure don't like the thought of butt pain in the middle of everything as well.

I have heard from others that the preliminary results are given immediately after waking up. Has that been others experience as well? I really dislike the idea of coming home to wait and wait to hear.

Knocked out, no pain during or after, no memory. It really isn't bad at all.

Yes, told me results (had cancer), right then and there.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post: