Nadeest

How Do You Identify?:
as myself
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,118 Times in 501 Posts
Nadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST Reputation
Default Nikki Araguz

Nikki Araguz was late for her latest time in court, and the Judge had her locked up until a new court date could be set, and probably until then. I have no quarrel with that, as it does not pay to annoy a judge by being late.
However, she was locked up under her birth name, which is no longer her legal name, which I find very disturbing. Here is a link to an article about it: http://www.houstini.com/araguz-booki...s-1090979.html
Nadeest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Nadeest For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,621 Times in 2,490 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

This is really wrong. How can Harris County get away with crap like this? How can they just choose not to use someone's legal name?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,902 Times in 1,030 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

No matter what a prisoner's done they still need to be treated with dignity. Using her birth name when her birth certificate and all her id shows her real name is bullshit, but unfortunately something frequently done to trans prisoners whether they have their names officially changed or not. When trans people are incarcerated the system goes out of its way to "remind" the trans person, the prison guards and other prisoners of their supposedly "real birth sex."

Same with the segregation. This is so common among trans prisoners even when it isn't necessary. My friend went through the same thing when he was wrongly incarcerated. Not only will they segregate you, but they'll make life hell for you, deprive you of the basics and humiliate you.

This is bullshit, and maybe since Nikki Araguz is kind of "high profile" by this point, it'll make people pay attention...but given what she's in for, I think it'll just make people even less sympathetic to her, what she's going through/general rights violations. I doubt things will change any time soon.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
Nadeest

How Do You Identify?:
as myself
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Nadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST Reputation

Her name has since been changed to her proper name, according to a post on Facebook (Nikki and I are friends, on Facebook). From what the post said, the authorities claimed that it had been a mistake, since Nikki had been a prisoner there before, when she still had her birth name.
Honestly, I doubt that was the case. However, I could certainly be wrong. I do rather doubt, however, that any apology was issued to Nikki or her attorneys.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nadeest For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Thanked 2,759 Times in 820 Posts
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

Small people use whatever power they have to make themselves think they're more important than they really are. Using that power to humiliate another human being makes them the smallest of all.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:16 AM   #6
Nadeest

How Do You Identify?:
as myself
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

I am going to quote the latest post from Facebook, from Nikki's friend that has taken over her facebook account temporarily to keep everyone updated. :

"Update:
01/18/2012

I visited Nikki during visiting hours. Boy was she happy! She said to tell all of YOU that she “couldn’t be more humbled, yet ecstatic” at all the noise we made about the whole name change issue. She had no idea all this was going on out here.

... “I was completely taken by surprise when an officer walked up to me and said I need to change your inmate wristband. Even the person who was removing the old one said nothing like this has ever happened before in here.”

Nikki told me that this was the first time she’s ever been allowed her legal name in Harris County Jail. She said, “Every other time, it’s been Justin.”

Also, she was given a health checkup and she reports that she is “very healthy… better than ever!” She has been given her HIV meds and her spirits are very high considering the circumstances.
She also said, “Thank you to all my friends, family, and supporters who keep me in their prayers and thoughts.”

I told her a few folks had contacted me through FB to tell her that they sent letters/cards to her. She smiled and said she can’t wait to read them and respond to as many as she can. “Tell them I am very grateful for any outside contact”.

I thank you too,"

I do not feel that it is appropriate to post that person's name, though I am reasonably certain that both he and Nikki would be fine with my quoting this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nadeest For This Useful Post: