Nadeest

How Do You Identify?:
as myself
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,118 Times in 501 Posts
Nadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST ReputationNadeest Has the BEST Reputation
Angry New Canadian Airline Regulations

I came across this link on facebook that disturbs me greatly. http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/01/31...gender-flight/
Nadeest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadeest For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeest View Post
I came across this link on facebook that disturbs me greatly. http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/01/31...gender-flight/
I've been back home as recent as over the holiday time frame (mid-December) and I never got challenged or stopped. I always bring my letter with me in case they do but I think the Canadian TSA-equivalent aren't trained well enough to be aware of all the little laws.

It should be changed but I'm not holding my breath given that "Mr. Bush Jr. wannabe" is PM.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
buttercupmuffin

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Single

buttercupmuffin Has the BEST Reputationbuttercupmuffin Has the BEST Reputationbuttercupmuffin Has the BEST Reputationbuttercupmuffin Has the BEST Reputationbuttercupmuffin Has the BEST Reputationbuttercupmuffin Has the BEST Reputationbuttercupmuffin Has the BEST Reputationbuttercupmuffin Has the BEST Reputationbuttercupmuffin Has the BEST Reputationbuttercupmuffin Has the BEST Reputationbuttercupmuffin Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeest View Post
I just came across a post as well... http://chrismilloy.ca/2012/01/transg...nes-in-canada/

I just got home so I haven't had time to do any research into it...what a shame.
buttercupmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to buttercupmuffin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Dear Ol Butch Bones
Preferred Pronoun?:
Old G
Relationship Status:
Too old to play.

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

WTH You have to ask yourself,"Where do I draw my line? " If you are a trucker and need to cross into the US, you may get a digital palm scan, face scan, iris scan, finger scan, thumb scan, measurements, and maybe an interrogation interview. After that, that may tell you all the nasty stuff they can do to you if you goof up on the paperwork. All this biometric BS is going on..but still if you look like you are a transperson you cannot fly?
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,953 Times in 13,923 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

is this a rumor or actually happening?
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_dee View Post
is this a rumor or actually happening?
It's law but no one is actually following it, at least from what I can tell. That said, since often the enforcement of the law is often up to the officer/agent in question. So if they don't like the way you look at them or whatever, then you may get pulled aside and denied access.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
canadianmusician

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
Him/He/His
Relationship Status:
Poly & D/s

canadianmusician Has the BEST Reputationcanadianmusician Has the BEST Reputationcanadianmusician Has the BEST Reputationcanadianmusician Has the BEST Reputationcanadianmusician Has the BEST Reputationcanadianmusician Has the BEST Reputationcanadianmusician Has the BEST Reputationcanadianmusician Has the BEST Reputationcanadianmusician Has the BEST Reputationcanadianmusician Has the BEST Reputationcanadianmusician Has the BEST Reputation

It's indeed actually a law that's been in place since July. I know a number of folks who have flown since the law came into place and they haven't had any trouble. They just show their letter.

If you want to get confirmation or make a complaint on this law, you can contact this person:

Sandra Miller
Chief Regulatory Planning and Services, Regulatory Affairs, Security
Transport Canada
330 Sparks Street, 13th Floor, Tower C
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N5
Telephone: 613-998-9605
Email: sandra.miller@tc.gc.ca
Old 02-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,902 Times in 1,030 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

It depends who the people traveling are and where they are as far as the gender marker on their passports, hormones/surgery etc. as far as who would get stopped and who wouldn't. And it could extend beyond trans people if someone really feels like being an ass. I really don't get the point of such a law as long as you resemble the picture on your passport.

I've heard a lot of people being pissed about this, though.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote