Old 03-29-2012, 06:00 AM   #1
dancer611

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
fairy princess :)
Relationship Status:
single

dancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputation
Default Insecurities; I worry that women won't/don't like me

I have always, and continue to, attract primarily straight men. Older, younger, whatever. I've been with several women, but it's harder for me to catch their interest when I'm out and about, it seems. Even if I go to a gay bar or LGBT event, butch women may or may not look me over, but don't approach me. I'm not sure if it's because they think I'm straight (is there anything I can wear/do/etc. to show I'm not?), or because I'm just not attractive to them. This has caused me to worry a lot about the future! Any advice/thoughts?
dancer611 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dancer611 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Thanked 4,133 Times in 1,079 Posts
Thinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancer611 View Post
I have always, and continue to, attract primarily straight men. Older, younger, whatever. I've been with several women, but it's harder for me to catch their interest when I'm out and about, it seems. Even if I go to a gay bar or LGBT event, butch women may or may not look me over, but don't approach me. I'm not sure if it's because they think I'm straight (is there anything I can wear/do/etc. to show I'm not?), or because I'm just not attractive to them. This has caused me to worry a lot about the future! Any advice/thoughts?
Well, I think it would be mighty fine if *you* approached someone who caught your eye!!!

You never know unless you give it a try!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
SelfMadeMan

How Do You Identify?:
Transsexual Man
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married to The Woman of My Dreams <3

Thanked 2,669 Times in 527 Posts
SelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I can only speak for myself, but when I was single and hanging out at the clubs, I sometimes felt awkward going up and asking a woman to dance, or to buy her a drink - for whatever reason. I would have loved for a woman to approach me - and some did, so I would encourage you to try! You could always send a drink over and break the ice that way - or ask someone to dance. Don't be scared to take a chance! Don't judge yourself based on whether or not other people approach you. Be confident in yourself and don't give up
SelfMadeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SelfMadeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,438 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

i'm extremely shy and terrible at letting people know i'm interested in them, and i have exactly the same problem. *hugs* i'm not sure what the answer is (other than to try and be more comfortable with making the first move!) but i wanted to say i totally get where you're coming from and it sucks. i definitely think it has more to do with shyness/uncertainty than with whether you are attractive.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
Quintease

How Do You Identify?:
Rainbow femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,816 Times in 417 Posts
Quintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I have always, and continue to, attract primarily straight men. Older, younger, whatever. I've been with several women, but it's harder for me to catch their interest when I'm out and about, it seems. Even if I go to a gay bar or LGBT event, butch women may or may not look me over, but don't approach me.
You're not kicking off anyone's gaydar. Either that or you're not looking approachable.

Think of it this way:

Men find women inherently approachable, unless she's jaw-droppingly stunning or holding hands with another man. Men don't have a problem going up to a woman, it doesn't really matter what she looks like, as men have lots of different reasons for approaching different women. One could be to try his luck, or she could remind him of someone, or he could feel sorry for her (I kid you not). Irrelevant of why, most men have been brought up in a society which teaches them that it's the man's job to approach the woman.

Women on the other hand do not approach. Walking down the street or sitting in a bar women don't even meet other peoples eyes. Women have been taught that it's unfeminine, wrong or downright dangerous to approach strangers. This is something that most women have to unlearn once they come out.

To approach someone women need 3 things - Incentive (does she fancy you etc), Approachability from you (will you reject her), and Gaydar (are you a straight woman who could possibly be offended).

You have to (I'm sorry to say this) stop catching men's eyes and stop engaging men when they approach you, if you wish them to stop hitting on you. If not, continue as you are.

With women you have to catch their eye, try to engage them whenever possible, and attempt to emulate some gay behaviours, as "Gaydar" really does exist and is generally tied into non-heteronormative behaviours. So the more 'heteronormative' you are, the less gay you are going to look to others.

Good luck.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
Mr Nice Guy
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Kind, sweet, loving, romantic and a rare Butch. :)
Relationship Status:
I don't drive a Uhaul. :)

Thanked 4,894 Times in 1,307 Posts
Mr Nice Guy Has the BEST ReputationMr Nice Guy Has the BEST ReputationMr Nice Guy Has the BEST ReputationMr Nice Guy Has the BEST ReputationMr Nice Guy Has the BEST ReputationMr Nice Guy Has the BEST ReputationMr Nice Guy Has the BEST ReputationMr Nice Guy Has the BEST ReputationMr Nice Guy Has the BEST ReputationMr Nice Guy Has the BEST ReputationMr Nice Guy Has the BEST Reputation

Well you can pass the bartender a note with a hi or something and have them pass it to the Butch you like. I just have a couple of drinks and just do it. I figure it's better to try then to wonder what if.
Mr Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Nice Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
Electrocell

How Do You Identify?:
Stonebutch
Preferred Pronoun?:
he/hy

Thanked 2,769 Times in 982 Posts
Electrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
How about going up to them using your womanly wiles and say--- how about buying a femme a drink.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Thanked 14,391 Times in 2,680 Posts
Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation
Wink

I love the idea of sending over a drink.

Someone can choose a soft drink if they prefer and

The bartender can help you flirt.
Chancie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #9
dancer611

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
fairy princess :)
Relationship Status:
single

dancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputationdancer611 Has the BEST Reputation

So...can you give a girl some ideas of gay/"non-hetero" behavior? Are you talking dress? Stance? Attitude? Rainbow flags?
dancer611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #10
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,245 Times in 1,415 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancie View Post
I love the idea of sending over a drink.

Someone can choose a soft drink if they prefer and

The bartender can help you flirt.
...except many people don't accept drinks like that anymore.

At the Reunion, where obviously I already knew everyone was gay, a Butch just came up and simply said "Hi, I'm _____". Simple (unless you're very shy).
Old 03-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
Random

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 5,327 Times in 1,379 Posts
Random Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
So...can you give a girl some ideas of gay/"non-hetero" behavior? Are you talking dress? Stance? Attitude? Rainbow flags?

You see a butch you think is cute...

Make direct eye contact smiling as hard as you can smile...

(As Tyra says... Smile with those eyes)

Let her/him know that you like what you see with that smile...

Once you have the butch in questions attention, mouth the word *Hi*

If she/he smiles big back and mouths *Hi* back, motion the butch over...

say the words... *You are cute, wanna dance?* or something like that...

Leaves no doubt that you are looking at the butch as a prospective partner and not just a straight girl in a gay bar for the first time...
Old 03-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #12
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by guihong View Post
...except many people don't accept drinks like that anymore.

At the Reunion, where obviously I already knew everyone was gay, a Butch just came up and simply said "Hi, I'm _____". Simple (unless you're very shy).
Why not? The truth is I don't spend much time in bars.

I'm not very shy in general, but

It would be very hard for me to go up to a stranger to chat or ask them to dance.

I was thinking the bartender would be breaking the ice.

I did initiate contact with Pete, but

She was talking with someone I knew, and

I was with a group of friends.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #13
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancie View Post
Why not? The truth is I don't spend much time in bars.

I'm not very shy in general, but

It would be very hard for me to go up to a stranger to chat or ask them to dance.

I was thinking the bartender would be breaking the ice.

I did initiate contact with Pete, but

She was talking with someone I knew, and

I was with a group of friends.
I don't spend time in bars, either. I should qualify my statement by saying "no one I know accepts a drink sent over; they are too afraid of tampering". I know I wouldn't.

I can't approach anyone to save my life, but if I did, I would use Random's approach.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #14
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Dear Ol Butch Bones
Preferred Pronoun?:
Old G
Relationship Status:
Too old to play.

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

[QUOTE=guihong;555760]I don't spend time in bars, either. I should qualify my statement by saying "no one I know accepts a drink sent over; they are too afraid of tampering". I know I wouldn't.

I don't go to bars either, but if a bartender made the drink themself, and served it to me, or had someone they knew serve it to me, how could it be tampered with?
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #15
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

I'm just saying it's my rule that I don't accept drinks sent over. Besides my maybe irrational fear of tampering, sometimes it comes with strings attached and I don't want to invite contact.

I think we're getting away from Dancer's question .
Old 03-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #16
Lazy Daze

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

1 Highscore

Thanked 2,807 Times in 745 Posts
Lazy Daze Has the BEST ReputationLazy Daze Has the BEST ReputationLazy Daze Has the BEST ReputationLazy Daze Has the BEST ReputationLazy Daze Has the BEST ReputationLazy Daze Has the BEST ReputationLazy Daze Has the BEST ReputationLazy Daze Has the BEST ReputationLazy Daze Has the BEST ReputationLazy Daze Has the BEST ReputationLazy Daze Has the BEST Reputation

Its called the 2x4 syndrome, and sometimes us femmes have to just swing that board hard and pray for the best! Trust me, I worked in a male dominate environment and was asked out and flirted with by mostly men. Politely reject them, and leave it at that. You don't need rainbow flags or anything of the likes... have confidence (most butches find this very attractive), and go up to the butch and say Hi. Flirt your heart out, and if all else fails.. swing that 2x4 hard and tell said Butch you would like to go to dinner (or whatever)! There are no rules in any book that says a butch has to ask out the femme... if that were the case, many of us would still be single! lol
Old 03-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #17
LaneyDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Girly girl femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She; Ma'am; Miss ;)
Relationship Status:
Pitbull protected.

Thanked 7,686 Times in 1,608 Posts
LaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by guihong View Post
I'm just saying it's my rule that I don't accept drinks sent over. Besides my maybe irrational fear of tampering, sometimes it comes with strings attached and I don't want to invite contact.

I think we're getting away from Dancer's question .
I have had a drink tampered with and I lost a weekend because of it.

But, back to the topic...

If you are hanging out at a bar, make friends with the staff. It never hurts for the bartender to know that you are "family" AND single AND possibly looking. Additionally, they might steer away from someone that you really do not want/need to get too close to.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #18
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,682 Times in 3,999 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

forget the drink. Next time s/he looks over at you, take out your hankie and drop it intentionally while looking at her/him. Smile and then turn away without picking it up.

If you want to dance, dance...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #19
Lazy Daze

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

1 Highscore

Thanked 2,807 Times in 745 Posts
Lazy Daze Has the BEST ReputationLazy Daze Has the BEST ReputationLazy Daze Has the BEST ReputationLazy Daze Has the BEST ReputationLazy Daze Has the BEST ReputationLazy Daze Has the BEST ReputationLazy Daze Has the BEST ReputationLazy Daze Has the BEST ReputationLazy Daze Has the BEST ReputationLazy Daze Has the BEST ReputationLazy Daze Has the BEST Reputation

I will also add.. there are plenty of places to look for a potential partner that are Not gay bars! I don't know where you are from, but in Indiana they had "lesbian" meetings, support groups, meet n greets, through the GLBT and here in Florida they have a group called ProSuzy that has meetings, outings, dinners, potlucks, camping trips, sporting events, dances etc that are for gay women (single and couples). Just a helpful hint....
Old 03-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #20
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

I agree. Bars are not the only place to make friends or to meet someone special though they may be the only game in town in some places. I met Pete in a cafe, and that relaxed atmosphere suits me fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post: